Are you interested in Analytics? In Databases and Big Data? BI? AI?

I don't know anything about databases. All I know is that Excel makes a lousy database if you have to share it with others (problems with multi-access). At some point I need to learn something about SQL.. but all I need is one step up from Excel.

Analytics would be nice, but then I'd have to have data going out and back into the database... and for that, I want nothing to do with. Supposedly we're getting a PLM system and I'm hoping any analytics can be handled there, for me, by someone else.
Excel is still the #1 analytics tool and data store in the world. Companies have more "Single Source of the Truth" than you can shake a stick at.

I bet you know more SQL than you think. The power of a relational database will free you (and information) up so you can do real work.

That will never happen in a million years. Nobody outside of the dev and maint teams are allowed to even look at these databases.
Unfortunately that's all too common with IT. Data rich and information poor.
Users are already using the data via Excel. This allows for zero control; zero management and poor accuracy. Spreading Excel or PBI workbooks potentially blows security out of the water.

Data Architects can author pertinent automated extracts to allow for proper BI. I had a monthly "council" meeting to entertain enhancements and approved use. Otherwise you foster chaos and mal content.

Jeff

Have you ever used Tableau to present data? My friend is a Sr. Actuary, and has been using it for several years. I had a small introduction to it, it is pretty cool.

Jeff

Have you ever used Tableau to present data? My friend is a Sr. Actuary, and has been using it for several years. I had a small introduction to it, it is pretty cool.
Yes; Tableau has been out for a long time; it is very powerful, is big bucks and there is a rather steep learning curve. The beauty of Microsoft Power BI is, it uses tools that you are familiar with. If you know Excel and you have a head for data orgainzation, you can be up and running in no time. Plus, do not discount the Microsoft Stack suite of tools; they are all joined at the hip.

I think it is fair to say PBI is more of a self service BI tool than Tableau.
If you really need to get in the weeds, both can connect to custom R programming. Tableau offers more ability to connect to custom programming like Python, C++, etc, but that is changing.

Last edited:
I remember a couple years ago my co went to OCI, but they somehow completely forgot about my space, so there was a mad scramble to see if handheld devices would work. We were all relieved when the answer was, YES, on the Androids. Yes, with modification on the Windows CE (the URL was way too long for Windows CE to handle, but not the Androids which at the time were 10, and some 8.1).

Maybe I should say Telnet CE on the Windows. The androids were already app-based, and so the OCI URL goes into the json file.

About one size fits all--when I was forced into a career change 2015, I would ask, I have a small office that's 5000 sq ft. How many APs do I need? Our vendor would tell me it's not that simple, and begin my lesson as a newbie (interesting stuff--think about it, how come you can't get to the web at a rock concert in a stadium?). So I'd turn to google as well, and not be able to find an answer. It depends what you're doing in that 5000 sq ft. I thought it'd be as simple as saying we have x in 1.2 mil sq feet, can't I divide 1.2/x and that's how many I need? nope. net net not that many things can fall into a one size fits all model.

Last edited:
Excel is still the #1 analytics tool and data store in the world. Companies have more "Single Source of the Truth" than you can shake a stick at.

I bet you know more SQL than you think. The power of a relational database will free you (and information) up so you can do real work.
I'll bet I don't. :) My needs are pretty slim at this time, and probably better met elsewhere, I just haven't taken the time to learn the tools I have.

The DB I have is maybe 5,000 line items, and it doesn't grow much. But periodically I do have to go in and update items. And items do get added. At some point I need to go and take a look-see, make sure it all still makes sense, it's easier to understand what is in there when you view the data directly. Sort for dupes, that sort of thing.

I'll bet I don't. :) My needs are pretty slim at this time, and probably better met elsewhere, I just haven't taken the time to learn the tools I have.

The DB I have is maybe 5,000 line items, and it doesn't grow much. But periodically I do have to go in and update items. And items do get added. At some point I need to go and take a look-see, make sure it all still makes sense, it's easier to understand what is in there when you view the data directly. Sort for dupes, that sort of thing.
Learn some SQL, referential integrity and let the dB do the work for you. Remember, "the database is the application."
Most of all, have fun with it.

With that small of a dB, the free desktop SQL Server version would be perfect. You will be authoring an Azure solution in no time.

Last edited:
Learn some SQL, referential integrity and let the dB do the work for you. Remember, "the database is the application."
Most of all, have fun with it.

With that small of a dB, the free desktop SQL Server version would be perfect. You will be authoring an Azure solution in no time.
Don't think I could do that--company policy is that I can't use Access without a really really good reason. Bad idea for me to go off and invent something that someone else will eventually inherit (and I totally understand, as I've inherited more than a few messes).

I'll take your advice and see what is on LinkedIn for SQL, maybe I put that free software onto my home PC and try out some stuff. Our new PLM system is supposed to be getting data from me, and I'm assuming that analytics can happen there. But at some point someone is going to want to push back into my DB and I know that is going to cause issues, if I don't get ahead of it. Problem is... I have other things to be doing. :)

A subcon was going to look into an SQL database for us, no idea when that will happen.

I still don't understand scripting and Python, I've always been more of a C guy. Syntax issues mostly, but at some point it's all about learning the functions.

If you know excel, sql comes naturally.

Select columnA, columnB, columnC from sheet1 where ColumnC = ‘5w30’

Delete from sheet1 where ColumnC = ‘0w16’

Insert into sheet1 (columnA, columnB, columnC)
values (‘Castrol’,’GTX’,’20w50’)

Update sheet1 set columnC = ‘5w20’ where columnC is null

I bet you can figure out in your head what each command does in the excel sheet without me telling you. 😄

If you know excel, sql comes naturally.

Select columnA, columnB, columnC from sheet1 where ColumnC = ‘5w30’

Delete from sheet1 where ColumnC = ‘0w16’

Insert into sheet1 (columnA, columnB, columnC)
values (‘Castrol’,’GTX’,’20w50’)

Update sheet1 set columnC = ‘5w20’ where columnC is null

I bet you can figure out in your head what each command does in the excel sheet without me telling you. 😄
:unsure:I find my wife gets really mad if I use the sheets when I'm changing the oil...

Back