How much would you need to save to buy used?

Why does a rental company sell a car with 13K miles/1 yr? Maybe something is going on, you know that they don't report accidents
Usually because they have new cars coming in and they run their spreadsheets and see that it is worth more sold than on the lot. Sometimes you see a good deal in new cars and can sell the used ones for a good deals, so why not.

Yes $5000 is a lot of money, but you need to look at the difference per month vs the large sum of cash.

I have the exact opposite advice. Absolutely look at the total cost and ignore the monthly cost (outside of budgetary concerns). This is exactly what sales people want you to do, to look at the monthly payment only.

Last edited:
Why does a rental company sell a car with 13K miles/1 yr? Maybe something is going on, you know that they don't report accidents

I had the same question when I was shopping for a Nissan Pathfinder in 2019. I found a used 2019 Pathfinder with 8,000 miles that was a rental for around 10 months. Was certified per owned through Nissan as well.

After some research, found multiple sources explaining a "buy back" program initiated between the auto manufactures and rental companies. Basically, the manufacture agrees to buy back the vehicles (albeit not 100% of the purchase price) so long as it's under a certain period of time and miles.

This works well for the rental companies because it allows them to ramp up inventory during high demand periods and quickly scale it back when demand drops. This minimizes the number of vehicles sitting around losing money.

From the manufacture's standpoint, it benefits them because it allows their vehicles to be pushed out to rental customers at a higher rate. They view the rental customers as basically extended test drives so it's essentially a marketing campaign. Win/win.

Last edited:
I have been renting for years - they age like cat years bcs most people don’t respect others property … I was flying front row in a brand new 321Neo recently and the guy next to me has his biker boots on the bulkhead - bet he treats rent cars like gold too - LoL …

People don't even respect their own property. How many new cars come back to the dealer every day that never had oil change, low on oil, panels hanging on by a thread, all 4 wheels with curb rash, within a year or two after being purchased?

I've heard from multiple independent sources the rental companies are actually very strict about maintenance, so at least they have that going for them.

Last edited:
^ And the manufacturer/ dealer has a car at "every price" for different customer bases. Ford used to dump Taurusses through rental agencies to sell slightly used (6k miles) models without directly undermining their new sales.

I have the exact opposite advice. Absolutely look at the total cost and ignore the monthly cost (outside of budgetary concerns). This is exactly what sales people want you to do, to look at the monthly payment only.
I’d still personally rather have new and what I want than settling for x color/ package and y miles with no or nearly gone warranty.

If I was to buy new, the plan would be to keep long term as well so I suppose it’d be easier for me to justify the extra cost.

I’d still personally rather have new and what I want than settling for x color/ package and y miles with no or nearly gone warranty.

If I was to buy new, the plan would be to keep long term as well so I suppose it’d be easier for me to justify the

Not disagreeing with that, simply saying the total cost matters. In fact, that’s the most important factor.

Low mile rentals for sale have been in an accident almost everytime. They self insure. They fix them no records of it, sell them and still make money. They buy below sticker (fleet pricing). Get $ each rental. Then sell for a little under sticker. They aren’t losing on this. You would be. Tires are likely pretty worn for the mileage.

They don’t want them in case there is a gremlin they can’t get fixed after the accident not worth it to them. It will still have all warranty. The manufacturer doesn’t not give rental cars warranties. Doesn’t matter who buys it as new it’s warranty till it runs out.

Get a new one if that’s that model you really want. Or at least one you can find that was not a rental. I like searching in carfax used cars since you can see the carfax and at least see if it was rental lease personal etc

Back