Won the bid, not sure if I will be awarded the 1979 YAMAHA XS1100

If the vinegar cleaning doesn’t work, try evaporust, that should take care of the rust. I would return CLR.

Regarding carbs, I highly doubt you will be successful with wd40, sea foam or any other cleaner. It may get the bike running but I highly doubt it will run right.
These carbs need to come off, be disassembled, cleaned properly and all new gasket and orings installed.

Finished the tank cleaning. Not perfect and I suspect rust material will be coming towards the filters for the foreseeable future. At the same time likely less rust and sentiment in the tank the 95 percent of the bikes if this age that are still in use.

It was amazing how quickly the flash rust appears. Just minutes after removing the baking soda solution from the tank and the start of the drying process, the flash rust became visible. Hopefully the wd40 coating in the tank now will neutralize the flash rust.

The picture of rust sentiment in the below picture is just about an estimate if 20 percent of the rust material removed from the tank.

The other picture is a before and after the vinegar process.
PXL_20230924_204822477.jpg
PXL_20230916_222101307.jpg
PXL_20230924_220206522.jpg

After cleaning out a neglected fuel tank. some pinhole leaks were exposed in the lower seams.

I lined the tank with this:

Got great results but the small diameter hose barb that joined both "saddles" of the tank got plugged with the liner. The effect on fuel range wasn't too adversely affected.

CS5 fuel tank.jpg

Internet image

It was amazing how quickly the flash rust appears. Just minutes after removing the baking soda solution from the tank and the start of the drying process, the flash rust became visible. Hopefully the wd40 coating in the tank now will neutralize the flash rust.
Put a bunch of WD-40 in the tank with a bunch of BBs and shake it up good to help temove rust. Drain it all, and no rust flashing should occur after that. Any residual WD-40 will mix and get burned up with gasoline.

I road several of the faster bikes of that era (all belonging to friends as I owned a 1977 Yamaha XS650 which was 'fast' enough for me). I road a 1975 Kawasaki Z900...a Suzuki 1000 and a 1978 or 79 XS1100 a few times.
I remember that XS1100 pulled like a locomotive and kept accelerating until you ran out of nerve. I had it over 100mph on the Major Deegan Expressway in the Bronx (not a very smart move but when your in your 20s you think you're invincible). It's hard to believe that modern 650cc crotch rockets are even faster.
Good Luck with it and I hope you get her running well.
For a four-cylinder versus four-cylinder comparison, the XS1100 produced a claimed 95 horsepower. 2023 Yamaha R1? 198.

Installed the replacement battery. Drained the wd40 from the carbs. Put some Seafoam straight into the carbs. Replaced the petcocks.

She started up. But have major fuel leaks at both petcocks when the fuel is turned on. Leak is at the fuel lines on both sides. Either need to replace the fuel lines and/or put clamps on the fuel lines.

Also have a weird issue with the rear tire. Seems like the tire stem has some weird solid cover built into it. I can't remove it , not measure tire pressure or add air. Sure it must be something simple that I am overthinking/ overlooking.

PXL_20231008_232026586.jpg
PXL_20231007_164705900.jpg
PXL_20231007_164415667.jpg

She started up. But have major fuel leaks at both petcocks when the fuel is turned on. Leak is at the fuel lines on both sides. Either need to replace the fuel lines and/or put clamps on the fuel lines.
Fuel line is cheap ... I'd just replace it and also put spring clamps on the fuel lines. Last thing you want is a fuel leak while riding around, lol.

A high school friend of mine bought a new Kawasaki 750, 2 stroke triple back in 1974 I think it was. That thing was scary fast, and handled like a Schwinn 10 speed with a lawn mower engine.

He rode it one night from Chicago to Carbondale, Illinois, cruising 80+ MPH all the way. He said he averaged about 18 MPG with it, and had to stop for gas several times.

When he drove it easy, around town in traffic for a day or two, then got on the expressway and nailed it, it left behind a cloud of blue/white smoke you couldn't see through. A bit like those military landing craft when they beach. He bought 2 stroke oil by the gallon jug.
I had a 1970 Kawasaki triple 2 stroke 500cc. I loved screaming up the freeway on ramp. Smoking like an F4 Phantom on takeoff and wailing like an insane banshee!

Sometimes things not going good are a blessing.

With the leak between the replacement petcocks and fuel lines, I pulled the tank to pull the fuel lines. The fuel was stained rust color coming out of the fuel lines, so decided to remove the petcocks and drain the tank

Pictures shows all the crud from the tank. I am think the ten days of wd 40 in the tank caused more crud in the tank to loosen. I should have done multiple vinegar cleaning. When I sanitized the tank after the vinegar cleaning with baking soda and water, the solution came out clean. Yet the wd 40 for ten days in the tank tells a different story.

I placed a can of Berrymans in the tank and shook is up. In about 30 minutes I will fill the tanks a quarter full, and shake some more. And the drain.

Bought replacement fuel line. Went with fuel injector line instead of fuel line. Did this as the injector line felt stiffer than the fuel line, and the line will bend a bit so thought stiffer is better.

On eBay some is selling this exact tank, brand new, same size color for $500..with the costs of cleaning solutions, a new tank may have been a better value ..

PXL_20231009_194028589.jpg
PXL_20231009_194104762.jpg
PXL_20231009_194904476.jpg
PXL_20231009_203149480.jpg

Sometimes things not going good are a blessing.

With the leak between the replacement petcocks and fuel lines, I pulled the tank to pull the fuel lines. The fuel was stained rust color coming out of the fuel lines, so decided to remove the petcocks and drain the tank

Pictures shows all the crud from the tank. I am think the ten days of wd 40 in the tank caused more crud in the tank to loosen. I should have done multiple vinegar cleaning. When I sanitized the tank after the vinegar cleaning with baking soda and water, the solution came out clean. Yet the wd 40 for ten days in the tank tells a different story.

I placed a can of Berrymans in the tank and shook is up. In about 30 minutes I will fill the tanks a quarter full, and shake some more. And the drain.

Bought replacement fuel line. Went with fuel injector line instead of fuel line. Did this as the injector line felt stiffer than the fuel line, and the line will bend a bit so thought stiffer is better.

On eBay some is selling this exact tank, brand new, same size color for $500..with the costs of cleaning solutions, a new tank may have been a better value ..

View attachment 182725View attachment 182726View attachment 182727View attachment 182728
You can't use muriatic acid to clean up the tank?

That's what I would do. Then follow up with the POR15 Fuel Tank Sealer. Rust in the tank won't be a problem again.

Wow, that's a lot of dirt in there. Lucky that didn't go though the carbs.

IMO, but muiratic acid would be my last ditch attempt being the strongest. It may eat though the tank.
I would give the vinegar treatment a go, and throw in some bolts, nuts, screws etc. and shake them around periodically. I bet there is more crud still clinging on in there.

Back