Speculate what happened to this trailer ramp door (salvage)?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Was the losing bidder at $1800 USD ($2800 out the door) on this Wells Cargo trailer at salvage auction last week. The winning bid was $1900 USD, and did not make reserve. The Seller IS NOT AN INSURANCE COMPANY. Seller appears to be an individual. Seller offered a BIN at $9900, which I think is likely more than the trailer sold for new.

My interest in the trailer is simply the location- I need a trailer around Sioux Falls, SD to pick up a motorcycle, so trying to find a somewhat local trailer to buy.

Looking at the pics, I am not sure what happened to the rear ramp door, and more importantly, why the Seller chose to send the trailer to a nearly non inspectable salvage auction, rather than fix himself, or sell locally on Facebook, etc.

Any thoughts on this rear ramp door?
38927298_1_I.jpeg
38927298_2_I.jpeg
38927298_3_I.jpeg
38927298_4_I.jpeg
38927298_5_I.jpeg
38927298_6_I.jpeg
38927298_7_I.jpeg
38927298_8_I.jpeg
38927298_11_I.jpeg
38927298_12_I.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice trailer. I imagine sourcing an exact ramp/door was impossible and would need to be custom fabbed.

The extra strips on the door indicate that a lot of stuff was driven in & out of it. We have our enclosed trailers beefed up to handle the weight of the equipment we winch up & down ours-and nothing is over 1200 pounds.

Damaged door probably couldn't close so it had to be removed. Should be able to get an OE door, curious how much they will charge though.

The whole Emkay thing makes me wonder if it wasn't in some sort of a fleet, and it was simply damaged to the point that they're not going to deal with all of the time and trouble involved with fixing it.... since it isn't as easy as dropping it off at a body shop for repairs. Much simpler to write it off and send it to the auction, as-is.

The whole Emkay thing makes me wonder if it wasn't in some sort of a fleet, and it was simply damaged to the point that they're not going to deal with all of the time and trouble involved with fixing it.... since it isn't as easy as dropping it off at a body shop for repairs. Much simpler to write it off and send it to the auction, as-is.
It very well could be a leased fleet asset, and the cost to fix exceeds it's value.

Emkay is a fleet leasing company. I sell them parts for upfitted fleet vehicles.
The only issue is Emkay (Seller) did not accept the final high bid after two consecutive auctions. Usually fleets cut bait quickly- why not on this trailer? I find their buy it now price shocking as appears to be at or more than the trailer likely sold new for.

Interesting and appreciate the thoughts...

The only issue is Emkay (Seller) did not accept the final high bid after two consecutive auctions. Usually fleets cut bait quickly- why not on this trailer? I find their buy it now price shocking as appears to be at or more than the trailer likely sold new for.

Interesting and appreciate the thoughts...
Can't explain that. Third times the charm? LOL.

The Buy it Now price might seem reasonable when compared to the price of a new comparable 2024 model.

Last edited:
Back