Today's salvage vehicle- stolen 2014 FORD SUPER DUTY F-350 SRW RWD

Does the wire tuning to the rear view mirror look odd to anyone else? Also, what should be below the left center vent in that round opening?

I used to watch a YouTuber that would dabble in these insurance auctions, his main rule was to never bid on anything you haven't inspected in person.

Something interesting, the "run and start" video shows the coolant reservoir, which appears to be empty.
I wonder if it has a head gasket issue, was too expensive to repair for a "toy hauler" - then got "stolen" to get more money. It sure looks good though.

If it was close, I'd pull the radiator cap and see if someone put stop leak in it. That would be a "tell".

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GON
Eh, I'd go for it if the price doesn't go crazy. Always liked Super Dutys and think that might be the next thing I buy. My cousin used to run a bunch of them when he had a fence company. The Lariat 7.3 was absolutely destroyed because that was everyone's favorite. I even liked the 6.0 though and was told to just ignore the water in fuel warning. Whenever I get one it will probably be gas, but like all of them really. Not like it's the only vehicle where the cab gets removed from the body.

GON,

Auto Auction Rebiuilds on YT had a 2018 F350 Powerstroke on his channel yesterday. Has 180k miles and looks in good shape. Probably did some towing. Although I think dealer auction but buy through him possibly. Located in Oklahoma City.

• Helpful
I wonder if it has a head gasket issue, was too expensive to repair for a "toy hauler" - then got "stolen" to get more money. It sure looks good though.

If it was close, I'd pull the radiator cap and see if someone put stop leak in it. That would be a "tell".
97k,

Thanks, decided I need to preview before raising the bid. That low/ empty coolant is concerning. I would not have worried so much if there wasn't a fifth wheel in the bed.

Starting to wonder if "theft" is a manner to get paid for a vehicle with a major problem. The Carfax showed vehicle in Oregon it's entire life, three owners, and the Ford dealer that sold the vehicle new, sold the truck to both the second and the third owner. I was unable to see the for sale ads, to see when the fifth wheel might have been installed.

97k,

Thanks, decided I need to preview before raising the bid. That low/ empty coolant is concerning. I would not have worried so much if there wasn't a fifth wheel in the bed.

Starting to wonder if "theft" is a manner to get paid for a vehicle with a major problem. The Carfax showed vehicle in Oregon it's entire life, three owners, and the Ford dealer that sold the vehicle new, sold the truck to both the second and the third owner. I was unable to see the for sale ads, to see when the fifth wheel might have been installed.

It's not uncommon for a vehicle needing expensive repairs to just happen to get stolen.

It's not uncommon for a vehicle needing expensive repairs to just happen to get stolen.
I wondered about that too. That doesn't look like the kind of vehicle someone would steal just to take for a joyride. And except for the radio, it doesn't look like anything was stolen out of it and it doesn't look like anyone stole it and used it like a bumper car.

I wondered about that too. That doesn't look like the kind of vehicle someone would steal just to take for a joyride. And except for the radio, it doesn't look like anything was stolen out of it and it doesn't look like anyone stole it and used it like a bumper car.

A thief will steal a pickup because it’s needed for another job. Backing into a store in order to haul out a ATM, stealing construction materials or as I read on the blotter this morning, stealing three dirt bikes from an owner. A pickup works for those scenarios so steal the pickup, do the job, and when you’re done ditch the pickup. It seems to be a coordinated effort.

Like "Otter" said in Animal House: "I'll tell you what. We'll tell Fred you were doing a great job taking care of his car, but you parked it out back last night and this morning... it was gone. We report it as stolen to the police. D-Day takes care of the wreck. Your brother's insurance company buys him a NEW CAR!"

Was able to do a very hasty inspection. Only had a few minutes and failed to inspect the oil dip stick and the underside of the oil fill cap. The coolant reservoir has red coolant at the bottom. To the best of my recollection, factory fill for this series is a amber, yellow, or maybe orange color coolant, but not red.

Rhonda Honda picked up something I missed, a missing part in the center console. Also missing is the stereo, and the stereo and HVAC wires have been cut and connecters gone.

The reason the stereo was missing was discovered in the back seat. One of the stero speaker boxes was left in the truck.

Truck didn't look so bad, and I found a camper ground map with a lot that the truck was directed to park at.

This information points more towards a inside theft, than a random theft of the truck.

I blew the inspection getting distracted on the interior wires and not the engine.

PXL_20230517_180606777.jpg
PXL_20230517_180632012.jpg
PXL_20230517_180654478.jpg
PXL_20230517_180708398.jpg
PXL_20230517_180721787.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230517_180924302.jpg
    PXL_20230517_180924302.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20230517_180931235.jpg
    PXL_20230517_180931235.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20230517_180941947.jpg
    PXL_20230517_180941947.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 20
What was supposed to be mounted in that round hole? The fact that the wires were unplugged instead of being cut like at the radio makes me wonder if someone at the towing company or the auction company didn't take out whatever it was. It's odd that the radio wires are cut yet they're labeled! It looks like someone may have been working on that area before. Perhaps a previous owner had a nice after market radio in it and removed it before the truck was (wink, wink) "stolen" .

What does the large orange wire that's hanging out of the dash go to? That doesn't look like a factory wire.

I don't know what year Ford starting using the Sync system in their radios. But replacing one is an extremely costly thing to do.

What does the large orange wire that's hanging out of the dash go to? That doesn't look like a factory wire.
The large orange wire is the main signal feed from the external antenna. Appears to have a short 12" black extension wire attached to it to transition the plug terminal from 90 degrees to a straight plug. This may also be another indication that the factory radio had been replaced with an aftermarket head unit.

PT,

I think each state has different standards for salvage. In Washington, this would be a "clear" title to the best of my knowledge (stolen vehicle without major damage).

A supplementary example is the California "clear" titled vehicle being sold at auction in Oregon. The Seller is an on-line car buyer. If sold in Oregon, the title might be forced to be salvage titled, which would then require a inspection to be converted to rebuilt. Yet the title is currently clear, and likely would stay clear in 49 of the 50 states. And the funniest part is Oregon is the easiest state to convert a salvage title to a rebuilt title.
I had no idea there was such a thing as a rebuilt title.

That is a great question. I see a lot of not easy to steal vehicles stolen, then recovered, often with a key.

I speculate that many vehicles stolen of this nature are stolen by the owner, a family member, or an acquaintance of the owner. Just speculation.

This vehicle has the stereo apparently removed (pictures imply that), and aftermarket rims. Who puts aftermarket rims on a RWD pickup used for fifth wheel towing. The tires on this truck are brutal (all terrain) another mismatch for a vehicle used for hauling a heavy trailer.
Buddy of mine had his stolen from his driveway. He went to warm up his car at 3am as he was supposed to take the wife to the airport. Went into the house to grab something and by the time he came back, the car was gone. This was in a suburban neighborhood. I’m guessing there are plenty of “poachers” waiting for someone to make this same fatal mistake.

• Sad
Back