Which 0W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this is too easy of an answer.
1. I use what the owners manual says regarding the viscosity.
2. I always use a synthetic oil.
3. I use the oil change monitor but will change oil earlier if it gets a bit too dirty. I often
change at 6,000 to 7,000 miles as indicated by the monitor.
4. I make sure I do a change after the winter, usually in March. I usually do another one in the
fall, usually September.
4. I always change the oil filter at the time of the oil change.
5. I buy whatever synthetic oil is on sale, usually Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Quaker State or Valvoline
6. The latest API rating for gas engines is SN plus there is the Dexos designation for GM which I am now following for my GM. All these oils meet API SN.

Much of this Forum is intended to let the wanna-be chemists to tells us about their special concoctions, and let them; its a lot of good fun.

Anyway, what are my results? All of my vehicles had over 150,000 miles on them when I sold them. The engines still ran perfectly. I currently have a 2008 Suburban with a 6.0 liter gas engine with 150,000 miles and I intend to run it to at least 200,000 miles or more God willing.

Now for all the criticism from the Chemists. Bring it on.

SF

I have put some 425K miles on my last three Ford Duratech engines using mostly M1 0-20. You seem to be very cost conscious, but what you are talking about is 1 to 2 cents per day between oil prices.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'd go with 5w20 Castrol Magnatec on sale at WM right now for $17.88, norm $19.88. This oil is a full synthetic. Or as mentioned go to the Farm store for some Harvest King 0w20 for $10 a jug if you have one nearby. At least that's the price here for the oil.

+1. In AZ I wouldn't consider changing from a 5w-20 synthetic. It's not like cold starts would be in North Dakota, Canada or the Northeast. Besides you're already feeding it something better than Ford recommends, which is a blend.

You are correct in understanding that any benefit will be marginal
But since you asked, go with the Pennzoil Platinum 0w20
Unless you get a great deal on another 5w20 or 0w20 oil
such as the synthetic 0w20 for $10 for 5 quarts which is a great deal
Happy hunting for the oil

+1 for AZ heat. Err on the safe side
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Mobil I AFE

They do make this in 0W-30 as well. Good choice.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: rclever2
If your reccomendation is a 5W-30 why not a 0W-30?

0w30 is as rare as a unicorn these days unless you mail order from Amazon.

You'll see Gen2 on the logo if it is Gen2.

While this is true, that's also a great way to buy oil at least the hard to find ones, and you will always have exactly what you want instead of going to the store and getting whatever they have, risking them not have what you want left.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I'd run a 5 or 10w-30 in that engine

In fact isn't this one of the cars that Ford upped the oil spec up to 5w-30?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I'd run a 5 or 10w-30 in that engine

In fact isn't this one of the cars that Ford upped the oil spec up to 5w-30?

I took a look at the latest printing for the 2018 Fusion Owner's Manual (released in January of 2018!) and it is still recommending 5W-20, and not even specifying any other optional viscosities such as 0W-20 or 5W-30. However, looking at the 2014 and 2018 Ford Mondeo (European equivalent to the Fusion) with the same 1.5L ecoboost engine, they recommend EITHER 5W-20 OR 5W-30. Interesting.

Its all CAFE standards here in US nothing else. Same engine in most other countries require one grade thicker oil. Soon 0w20 will be thick like 10w40.

Originally Posted By: Serge
Its all CAFE standards here in US nothing else. Same engine in most other countries require one grade thicker oil. Soon 0w20 will be thick like 10w40.

While your contention is common, it must be taken in the context of oil prices over there, which are much higher as well as drain intervals, which are much longer.
Oil grades that optimize fuel economy are suited to places where oil is cheap so drain intervals can be short.
The engine will remain at least as healthy on shortish American market drain intervals as it would on longer drains using some stouter grade elsewhere.
As far as CAFE being the villain here, surely you don't mean to advocate for higher fuel consumption?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

While your contention is common, it must be taken in the context of oil prices over there, which are much higher as well as drain intervals, which are much longer.
Oil grades that optimize fuel economy are suited to places where oil is cheap so drain intervals can be short.
The engine will remain at least as healthy on shortish American market drain intervals as it would on longer drains using some stouter grade elsewhere.
As far as CAFE being the villain here, surely you don't mean to advocate for higher fuel consumption?

Agreed, CAFE has been around more than 40 years. Vehicles have been achieving hundreds of thousands of miles under this "draconian" regulation since then. Thick oil, thin oil...they all work well.

I have a 2016 Honda Civic with the 1.5 Turbo engine and have run Redline 0w-20 synthetic since the first oil change, engine runs great on the Redline 0w-20. Redline is a Group V Esther based synthetic oil, Turbo chargers can get pretty hot and considering that the only oils certified for use in jet turbine engines is Esther based synthetics because that is the only oil that will survive in the jet turbine environment then it was more than good enough for my little Honda turbo charged engine.

Hello RedVic,
In what way is a turbine aircraft engine similar in operating conditions and challenges to your Honda?

Originally Posted By: wemay

Agreed, CAFE has been around more than 40 years. Vehicles have been achieving hundreds of thousands of miles under this "draconian" regulation since then. Thick oil, thin oil...they all work well.

CAFE is why I can get 36 MPG with my 2017 2.5 Ford Fusion and only got 27MPG with my 2.2 1990 Ford Tempo. Both hwy driving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: wemay

CAFE is why I can get 36 MPG with my 2017 2.5 Ford Fusion and only got 27MPG with my 2.2 1990 Ford Tempo. Both hwy driving.

Enjoying that new Fusion Tig?

Tig, do you ever post without saying anything about your fusion? Lol its anoying dude

Yeah, it gets VERY OLD, VERY FAST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back