Where can I see a B-29 Bomber ...

Shame you arent in Ohio, you could have wondered around with me yesterday at Wright Patterson to see Boxcar up close. Excuse the crowd clogging the picture, there were probably at least a dozen people in the entire museum up until about noon, when I think 3 or 4 others wondered in. They also have a B-50 on display, basically a slightly different B-29 by another name. Two for the price of one, in the same visit.

View attachment 194077

View attachment 194078
Wow! I'm so glad these planes are preserved.

When I see them in movies and documentaries, and their brave crews, I am deeply moved. One of my uncles was a fighter pilot during WWII, and when I look at the picture I have of him climbing into one of the planes he flew, I am so proud of his accomplishments, just as I am of the boys who flew these bombers.
1703175843869.jpg

One of my uncles was a fighter pilot during WWII, and when I look at the picture I have of him climbing into one of the planes he flew, I am so proud of his accomplishments, just as I am of the boys who flew these bombers.
View attachment 194107
I agree.

I didnt find out until after he died and I was going through a box of his old pictures that I learned my wife's father was a B-24 tail gunner. I had no idea. I wish I would have known, I'm sure he had plenty of stories I would have loved to hear. We have a picture of him and the rest of the bomber crew next to their plane, hanging in one of our downstairs hallways.

Last edited:
A couple pictures of the B-36 I shot in the SAC museum near Omaha. It's a great museum and as you walk in the front door there is a SR-71 hanging from the ceiling. Very cool place!

You can see the two outboard jet engines and the three pusher three 28-cylinder engines per side. This is a big airplane!

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

Last edited:
I couple pictures of the B-36 I shot in the SAC museum near Omaha. It's a great museum and as you walk in the front door there is a SR-71 hanging from the ceiling. Very cool place!

You can see the two outboard jet engines and the three pusher turbo props per side. This is a big airplane!

View attachment 194209
View attachment 194210
It sure looks like a large plane. I'm trying to imagine a Stearman alongside the engine in the top pic. Any idea of the size comparison between the biplane and the engine? Or perhaps a Cessna 142? Those are the small planes I'm most familiar with.

Its a ways out but Doc is supposed to be here.

Interesting according to Wiki there are only 2 airworthy and it does not seem the CAF has anything out west on the calendar ...

Back