Lifetime air travel passes

I suppose the most famous was from American Airlines, which had a 5 year and a lifetime pass called AAirPass, back from a time when they were hurting for money and thought it would bring in a quick infusion of cash. Over the years, it sounds like a few famous people bought them, including Michael Dell, Mark Cuban, and Willie Mays. They also revoked several, claiming that the holders violated the terms, including reselling the tickets obtained with the passes.

United also had one. One guy with such a pass claims to have flown over 24 million miles. And he still got rewards points for it, although I'm not sure how that works after United switched to a dollar-based points.

He has seen more than 100 countries. He figures that he and his very happy wife have been on more than 120 honeymoons. He has played United like three-card monte, and there’s been nothing they can do to stop him.​
But it’s the weirdest thing. Sometimes hostages love their captors, and United loves their loss leader. Over the years, the airline has put his name on not one but two planes. Thomas R. Stuker, Customer. They let him help design the menu at their new Polaris clubs. He says that when he has a tight connection, there’s a Mercedes waiting on the tarmac to whoosh him to the next gate.​
Any airline ever do that for you?​
I flew with him from Newark to Los Angeles once just to see it all for myself. Tom Stuker doesn’t do airlines like you and I do airlines. When he calls the 800 number, they go, “Mr. Stuker? Is that you?” Ropes come down, doors fly open and free champagne bottles end up in his bag. You know how the gold-diamond-platinum-level-customers-way-better-than-you board planes first? Tom Stuker has already been sitting in 1B and eating nuts from little porcelain cups for 10 minutes before they even get called.​

They even put his name on a 747.

1C5234131-121218-tomstuker-million-miler.jpg

I heard of a guy who had a lifetime pass for himself "and a friend". He used to fly "friends" to all sorts of expensive destinations, first class of course.

That's probably why they don't sell lifetime passes anymore.

I heard of a guy who had a lifetime pass for himself "and a friend". He used to fly "friends" to all sorts of expensive destinations, first class of course.

That's probably why they don't sell lifetime passes anymore.

The guys who got theirs revoked were accused of stuff like putting out feelers for others to be the "companion". American Airlines claimed that Steven Rothstein engaged in "speculative bookings" where he booked where he wasn't sure if he'd actually travel, as well as using the companion pass to book empty seats so that nobody would sit next to him and/or get an extra carry-on.

Apparently Jacques Vroom took out a loan to get his and was accused to selling his companion rides.

Back