Where can I see a B-29 Bomber ...

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
... in the western United States?

I was watching a WWII documentary in which these machines were featured and I'd like to see one up close, maybe even get inside. Any suggestions?

I was watching a WWII documentary in which these machines were featured and I'd like to see one up close, maybe even get inside. Any suggestions?
I saw one yrs ago at Mobile, Alabama where the USS Alabama battle ship is etc. I don’t know if it’s still there.

Also had SR 71 Blackbird. Not on display. I guess they trying get it fix up etc.
I enjoyed seeing it just as much B-52

Shame you arent in Ohio, you could have wondered around with me yesterday at Wright Patterson to see Boxcar up close. Excuse the crowd clogging the picture, there were probably at least a dozen people in the entire museum up until about noon, when I think 3 or 4 others wondered in. They also have a B-50 on display, basically a slightly different B-29 by another name. Two for the price of one, in the same visit.

boxcar.jpg

b50.jpg

I think the Pima aviation museum in Arizona has one. I know they have a B-36 peacemaker and it truly is gigantic.

Shame you arent in Ohio, you could have wondered around with me yesterday at Wright Patterson to see Boxcar up close. Excuse the crowd clogging the picture, there were probably at least a dozen people in the entire museum up until about noon, when I think 3 or 4 others wondered in. They also have a B-50 on display, basically a slightly different B-29 by another name. Two for the price of one, in the same visit.

View attachment 194077

View attachment 194078
I always thought the blunt nose with all that glass was an interesting albeit an odd design.

Allows for good visibility thats for sure. Same with the Boeing Stratocruiser (or military C/KC-97 Stratofreighter/Stratotanker), themselves all based off the B-29. Notice the outboard turbojet. Four radials and props wasnt good enough, lets add a couple of turbojets to make some noise. A pregnant B-29 on steroids, what could go wrong. At least they didnt call it the B-29 MAX.

KC97.jpg

Allows for good visibility thats for sure. Same with the Boeing Stratocruiser (or military C/KC-97 Stratofreighter/Stratotanker), themselves all based off the B-29. Notice the outboard turbojet. Four radials and props wasnt good enough, lets add a couple of turbojets to make some noise. A pregnant B-29 on steroids, what could go wrong. At least they didnt call it the B-29 MAX.

View attachment 194083
That JATO unit is interesting. I was only aware of jets and props together on one other aircraft, the B-36 ("Six that turn, and four that burn").

View attachment 194077

View attachment 194078
IIRC, the B-50 had an oversized rudder, and the engines were upgraded from 2200 to 3500 HP.

@Shel_B, I saw Fifi (an airworthy B-29) on the ground at the Museum of Flight near Seattle in 1995, but not in 2007 (when she was out on tour).

The defensive armament (50- calibre machine guns operated remotely, with the gunners assisted by an advanced electromechanical computer) was very effective, and remains very impressive.

If you get a chance to see Fifi or Doc up close and in flight, I highly recommend it. I first got to see her at the Cleveland air show. The day I was there there were low clouds so she didn't fly but I got to walk around and see her up close. Then I happened to see she was visiting at Youngstown a few years ago. If I'd had an extra thousand bucks lying around I could have taken a ride, but I settled for taking a tour inside her. Weird, I was more in awe of the flight engineer's station than the cockpit. You're in for a treat if you've never heard her engines thundering from the sky.

5 seconds on Google :rolleyes: (y)

3 in California
Thank you for your suggestion (or was it an admonishment?) to use Google. I like to ask some questions here as the responses go into details and experiences not found on Google, and are often more informative and certainly more interesting, such as when folks share their experiences.

Along with a lot of others…

Thanks for the suggestion. I may be heading in that very general direction in the next few weeks, and if so, I'll see about visiting.

Back