Where are the PYB users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that many of us use PYB as they claim. You very rarely hear it spoken of... I think there has only been 1 single UOA on the "next generation PYB", and all I see for the most part are boring synthetic UOA's. Most of us realize how synthetic performs. To me it's the conventional oil UOA's that are more exciting. The thrill of spending less and getting that same or greater protectin than many of the synthetic users out there get. I would post my PYB UOA's howerver, I have none, my drain intervals are rather short.

Last edited:
I put it in my mom's '08 2.7l Sebring last month. Old formula since the new one hadn't arrived on the base yet. IMO sounded a little louder then the Napa Dino that was in there previously. As I said though, it is my mom's car, she drives it, I don't so it may have just been my imagination.

Using PYB 10w30 in my 94 Prizm with 175K. Only holds 3 qts with filter. 5K OCI. No make-up oil needed between changes.

Lovin it.

I just purchased a 2000 Camry (5SFE) with 94,000mi on it. Because that car is somewhat of a known sludger, this weekened I plan to do an oil change with the PYB (5W-30). I figure I will keep it in for 3,000 and do a UOA on it. Several guys here suggested PYB to me.

Currently using it in a higher mileage Buick Century with a 3.1. Using Pennzoil Platinum in everything else. Used it in two mail route vehicles with a combined total of 465K+ miles without any problem.

I've used PYB 5W30 for the last three changes on my 90 Camry.
Before that it was Maxlife, Castrol GTX HM, Pennzoil HM, pre Deposit Shield Havoline, and regular Castrol GTX. Been on a DIY kick for some time now, using a 5K mile OCI & Purolator or Wix filters. Prior to that, it got whatever the dealer or indie shop used a couple times a year. It has always been pretty happy with whatever flavor of dino it got. It just went past 265K miles on the odometer. Bought it new for the wife back in 1990. She did the first 100K from 1990-2000, & I've put the rest of the miles on since then.

Im here and just bought 5w30 dino 5w30 today and doing my oil change tommorow.I have pennzoil in my car for quite a while and my engine loves it..and its still clean looking when i checked the dip stick but i do have to dump the new stuff in reguardless..im 200 miles past due but its doing its job LOL. Good oil. I was going to ship a oil sample to the labratory but my motor is running super and dont use a drop at all and scared of what they may say ..if its not broke dont fix it

PYB is the best conventional oil, IMO. I'm using it in my brother's '03 Dodge Stratus R/T (last 4 changes). Currently using synthetic everywhere else.

My 2003 OB has been on a steady diet of PYB for the last 25k miles, running 4-6k OCI's. Current fill is a mix of my last PYB at about 2 years old and brand new Formula Shell.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
I don't think that many of us use PYB as they claim. You very rarely hear it spoken of... I think there has only been 1 single UOA on the "next generation PYB", and all I see for the most part are boring synthetic UOA's. Most of us realize how synthetic performs. To me it's the conventional oil UOA's that are more exciting. The thrill of spending less and getting that same or greater protectin than many of the synthetic users out there get. I would post my PYB UOA's howerver, I have none, my drain intervals are rather short.

Before my comments get misconstrued, remember that I do use synthetic about half the time. I would suggest that those people who use PYB (or any other high quality conventional) are looking at the best bang for their buck, and not much else. They're not trying, necessarily, to squeeze every last mile out of the oil. They set what they think is a reasonable OCI and follow it. At least some synthetic users are likely trying to justify to themselves and others the premium price they pay, or, alternatively, to extend their OCI as long as is possible and use a UOA to that end.

My dad used to run fairly long OCIs with conventionals in taxi service. If I would have suggested a UOA to him, he would have laughed me out of the garage, just like he did when I suggested synthetic. The engines lasted hundreds of thousands of miles on conventional with 6,000 mile OCIs, and that was the early 1980s. No lube related failures, no sludging, no synthetic, and no UOAs - just conventional QS in 10w-30 year round.

Just finished putting this in the Mazda.

IMG_0839.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mark72
To me it's the conventional oil UOA's that are more exciting. The thrill of spending less and getting that same or greater protectin than many of the synthetic users out there get. I would post my PYB UOA's howerver, I have none, my drain intervals are rather short.

So post a short one.

Do you have a Oil monitor? If so, run it out till it says to change it.

4-5k OCI in an '05 Camry w/80k -PYB
'86 Cadillac PYB and HM w/165k details in the Used Oil section.
Still going strong. Engines anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back