Are the days of the 10k OCI over with?

10k OCIs?
Longest I ever went was 6k one time. That was 12-13 years ago in a DOHC engine.
Even 6k is not recommended for today's GDI / TGDI 3-4 banger engines.

As I venture into Amsoil and HPL oils, I may bite my fingernails and extend my OCIs to 4k.
Seriously! I've been doing 3k OCIs with very good oils for about five years now.
Hyundai and Kia dealers will never ask me for oil receipts, if/when my engines implode. When they pull the valve cover, they will see a very clean and well maintained engine.

If any Hyunkia dealership should ask a member here for receipts and the member knows his engine is real clean, tell them the Mothership in S. Korea sent each dealership a certified letter stating that no oil change receipts are necessary with clean engine that's never showed any metallic signs of low engine oil.. Or, the dealership can call S. Korea for verification of the letter.

Last edited:
10k OCIs?
Longest I ever went was 6k one time. That was 12-13 years ago in a DOHC engine.
Even 6k is not recommended for today's GDI / TGDI 3-4 banger engines.

As I venture into Amsoil and HPL oils, I may bite my fingernails and extend my OCIs to 4k.
Seriously! I've been doing 3k OCIs with very good oils for about five years now.
Hyundai and Kia dealers will never ask me for oil receipts, if/when my engines implode. When they pull the valve cover, they will see a very clean and well maintained engine.

If any Hyunkia dealership should ask a member here for receipts and the member knows his engine is real clean, tell them the Mothership in S. Korea sent each dealership a certified letter stating that no receipts are necessary with clean engine.
With the proper oil it is, without it's not. It is however your prerogative to waste money.

The dealer will take an oil sample and send it off however a clean engine is definitely on your side. All dealers ask for oil change receipts(if not done there) if the engine isn't known for consumption problems to begin with.

As I and many other UOA's have shown that with the right oil it is perfectly serviceable for 10k and beyond with no danger.

With the proper oil it is, without it's not. It is however your prerogative to waste money.

The dealer will take an oil sample and send it off however a clean engine is definitely on your side. All dealers ask for oil change receipts(if not done there) if the engine isn't known for consumption problems to begin with.

As I and many other UOA's have shown that with the right oil it is perfectly serviceable for 10k and beyond with no danger.
Proper oil and proper engine, yes. On my old 1MZ-FE I'd never run a 10K OCI regardless of the oil. But my equally old 1NZ-FE is an entirely different engine and situation.

If any Hyunkia dealership should ask a member here for receipts and the member knows his engine is real clean, tell them the Mothership in S. Korea sent each dealership a certified letter stating that no oil change receipts are necessary with clean engine that's never showed any metallic signs of low engine oil.. Or, the dealership can call S. Korea for verification of the letter.
Funny thing about this - When my wife's engine in her Sonata went out (yay....Theta-II) they asked me for records regarding oil changes. I told them I didn't have any because I did them all myself. So they told me they will pull the valve cover and look for sludge in the valvetrain area. Two months prior to this I had changed the valve cover gasket on this car at ~210k miles and this is what it looked like underneath. Hyundai approved the engine swap. This was following 7500 mile recommended intervals on an engine well known to leak/burn oil, and occasionally going over. All I used was various 0W-20 synthetic oils and whatever filter was on sale for the bundle at Advance or Auto Zone.

And this is an engine well known to burn/leak oil at pretty alarming rates sometimes. This particular one at the end of its life was leaking/burning about 2qt every 1000 miles, and the remaining oil was *DARK* after less than 500 miles in the sump. Horrid engines.

Attachments

• Valvetrain.jpg
    Valvetrain.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 65
Proper oil and proper engine, yes. On my old 1MZ-FE I'd never run a 10K OCI regardless of the oil. But my equally old 1NZ-FE is an entirely different engine and situation.
Exactly, not one person said it's a one size fits all but dismissing it just because is pretty asinine. To my surprise the VW OEM oil in the TIguan did pretty well. We'll see have HPL does next.

I will take a guess, with a TBN, probably $45.00 LOL
Yeah I paid $35 but that was like 5 years ago. It totally not worth doing. It's cheaper to just change the oil. I mean why the hell risk it?

Ok fine it's good to do it once at your highest OCI to see how far you can stretch it if need to but to do an oil analysis instead of swapping oil is just not worth it.

Yeah I paid $35 but that was like 5 years ago. It totally not worth doing. It's cheaper to just change the oil. I mean why the hell risk it?

Ok fine it's good to do it once at your highest OCI to see how far you can stretch it if need to but to do an oil analysis instead of swapping oil is just not worth it.

It would be nice if Blackstone or 1 of the UOA companies would offer just a TBN Test!

Same here. I can do a complete oil and filter change with full synthetic for less. I don't care about what is in it, when it is no longer in my vehicle. At that point it becomes just more trash. And I don't have that analyzed either.

Regarding the price of an oil analysis: I think they’re worth the money at ($35-$45) to do it once on a 10,000 mile interval to see how your engine does during that mileage. Using whatever off the shelf synthetic.

Let’s say it comes back fantastic (wear metals, fuel dilution levels, doesn’t shear much, TBN good). And you know your engine a little bit at that point, both by your own accounts and historic reported performance/reliability. You’d save much more than the price of an oil analysis if you were able to extend the intervals to 10,000, compared to 5,000. You’d make your money back in one interval (if only considering cost).

After that I wouldn’t do more analysis’s. It’s different if your engine actually requires you to change the oil at 4,000 miles because of prior reliability issues (fuel dilution, turbos, DI, smaller displacement, whatever). My opinion.

$35 is cheap to know data vs guessing. Plenty of fleets, municipality use oil samples daily. If you didnt already know this then its probably not worth it to you, but know that BITOG forum members do like to do it, so accept it and enjoy the free data.

There are some engines that tear up the oil and many others that don't.
A one-time UOA can help an owner in determining a reasonable drain interval for his engine as he uses it in his car.
Not all of us are retired and have the time or inclination to do oil changes just because.
If a UOA indicates that the oil is fine for longer drains, then the owner knows that time and mileage can be longer on a drain with no guessing or by gosh by golly involved.
Plus, UOAs are fun to see.

Don't most manufacturers recommend a 5k or less interval for severe service, which is everyone who's not doing highway only driving?
That's what they'd like you to believe. With OEM stipulations the whole motoring public is severe service. Lot of hogwash.

Back