Are the days of the 10k OCI over with?

Are any of them approaching 300 K miles? Curious minds would like to know.
160K here. I do mostly highway driving, and not at a very high speed, about 55-65 MPH. Nets pretty good MPG for the car too (Best I’ve done is 36 MPG across a 2 hour drive on a 30 MPG rated crossover, and that’s hand calculated). Car seems happy.

This is a good point. A decade or two ago most of the manufacturers built their engines really tight. Both Toyota and Honda manufactured engines, that with good care could easily go 300,000 miles or more...... And didn't burn or dilute the oil in the crankcase doing it.

This is no longer the case. Low tension piston rings, along with direct fuel injection have polluted engine oil in as little as a thousand miles. Not to mention they've all gone turbo crazy, which puts even more demands on the oil in them.

There are literally dozens of Internet videos showing both severe fuel dilution of the oil, as well as gunked up piston rings, Many of them have been posted here.

On Toyota and Honda engines that used to be built tight as a drum, before all of these government mileage regulations started piling up, are now forcing the automakers to go to these new manufacturing standards of "free rotating" crankshafts, coupled with low tension rings, and direct injection.

The new game in town is to get as much power and mileage from as small of a displacement engine as possible. That is difficult, if not outright impossible to accomplish without pushing the oil in these modern engines to the max.

And there is little to no doubt the government, along with the EPA is pushing all of this to the max. They HATE anything that runs on fossil based fuels. And they couldn't care less how much the average consumer dislikes it.

man i'm 34 and saw this writing on the wall from the government 10+ years ago.

I do 1 year or 6K mile OCIs on both my '19 Grand Cherokee and '21 Subaru Forester. My oil changes end up at end of August / mid September. A nice time to be working in the garage.

I change my 01 tundra 2uzfe oil with qs full syn at 3k-4k miles because I can and want it to last for the next 20 years. My ls400 gets 4-5k cause it's my beater. Idc if I can go longer. I like doing oil

I change my 01 tundra 2uzfe oil with qs full syn at 3k-4k miles because I can and want it to last for the next 20 years. My ls400 gets 4-5k cause it's my beater. Idc if I can go longer. I like doing oil
And if I don't reach that mileage I change it the week before cold Temps come regardless of mileage (northern IL) and change it immediately after winter Temps go away go get that winter used oil out of there. Lots of idling in the winter and probably more fuel dilution. I want clean new oil for the first cold cold start of the season and want it out asap when warming

Back