Are the days of the 10k OCI over with?

That's exactly what I expected from you. No rebuttal, just more of your B.S. Still waiting on all of these plentiful coal substitutes you claim. :rolleyes:
I would wager your debate style leaves not much room for argument, hence folks don't feel like spending the energy responding other than dismissive insults. Take this as constructive criticism.

Good find on the old gov't document though. You did indirectly contribute to it thanks to your annual IRS payment.

I would wager your debate style leaves not much room for argument......
I'm not trying to argue. Just pointing out, that this is ALL environmentally driven. If that 24 year old document doesn't prove it, nothing will. This is all about politics, along with an agenda driven government agency, wanting you to make your oil last longer... Not your engine.

They're simply trying to prove to you how they have established a method so that you can get away with it.... Maybe. If that was published by the SAE instead of the EPA, there is room for argument. But it isn't, because it wasn't.

They even prove it in the first paragraph :

"This fact sheet describes how a testing program can extend engine oil life and thus lower oil consumption, and reduce used oil generation..."

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with trying to do that. But this is all no different than what the government and CAFE is pushing, with all of these super thin oils. None of it is going to keep your engine running longer, because the government doesn't care what you are forced to spend on what their mandates generate.

None of this is offering better protection for your engine. Regardless of how you drive. Under some circumstances I can possibly see it for the Post Office, UPS and Fed Ex. Who operate thousands of vehicles, millions of miles every year.

Simply because it can and does reduce their operational expenses, and increases their profitability by pushing their oil further..... Assuming it doesn't shed life from their vehicles. Or generate increased expensive repairs.

But for the people on this forum who operate a few personal vehicles, a few thousand miles a year, the risk vs. reward factor simply isn't there. Especially with today's high vehicle costs, along with the people who are keeping them longer.

Oil changes are still the cheapest protection you can give your engine. Not letting it go based on advice from a government agency.

That's exactly what I expected from you. No rebuttal, just more of your B.S. Still waiting on all of these plentiful coal substitutes you claim. :rolleyes:
I am not reiterating the multitude of power options other than coal again. If you can't scroll back and read that's not my problem. Be the grumpy guy you enjoy being. Have a nice day.

Some people quote the facts and then choose to ignore them and then dismiss them as propaganda.
There are still a few 3K drain guys, however wasteful that may be in their dollars, their time and waste oil generation.
So be it, since nothing anyone here can post will help them to understand modern reality with modern oils and modern engines couipled with IOLMs that account for all of the use parameters to which an engine is subjected and are well proven to do so, so the "severe service" argument doens't hold any water either.

......So be it, since nothing anyone here can post will help them to understand modern reality with modern oils and modern engines........

This whole extended drain scheme was cooked up well over 20 years ago by a government agency. And was spearheaded and driven by a political agenda. These people know as much about long engine life, as they do about effectively managing taxpayer money. There is nothing remotely "modern" about any of it.

This whole extended drain scheme was cooked up well over 20 years ago by a government agency. And was spearheaded and driven by a political agenda. These people know as much about long engine life, as they do about effectively managing taxpayer money. There is nothing remotely "modern" about any of it.
You're missing the part about IOLMs and their being well validated.
Look back a little farther than the twenty years you cite and check out some fifty year old OMs. The recommended drain intervals would shock you and that would have been on Grp 1 basestocks.
I can also assure you that fleet operators were all over the concept well before the government had even thought of it.
Lower operating costs and less downtime.
Things of all sorts typically require less maintenance as their development progresses. Why wouldn't this be true of modern vehicles and their engines along with the oil we put in them?

10k OCIs?
Longest I ever went was 6k one time. That was 12-13 years ago in a DOHC engine.
Even 6k is not recommended for today's GDI / TGDI 3-4 banger engines.

As I venture into Amsoil and HPL oils, I may bite my fingernails and extend my OCIs to 4k.
Seriously! I've been doing 3k OCIs with very good oils for about five years now.
Hyundai and Kia dealers will never ask me for oil receipts, if/when my engines implode. When they pull the valve cover, they will see a very clean and well maintained engine.

If any Hyunkia dealership should ask a member here for receipts and the member knows his engine is real clean, tell them the Mothership in S. Korea sent each dealership a certified letter stating that no oil change receipts are necessary with clean engine that's never showed any metallic signs of low engine oil.. Or, the dealership can call S. Korea for verification of the letter.
I totally agree. I prefer short OCI with full synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 3 oils (which has stricter limits for sludge and varnish causing deposits).
I want my engines to last 300,000 miles.

Last edited:
You're missing the part about IOLMs and their being well validated.
Look back a little farther than the twenty years you cite and check out some fifty year old OMs. The recommended drain intervals would shock you and that would have been on Grp 1 basestocks.
I can also assure you that fleet operators were all over the concept well before the government had even thought of it.
Lower operating costs and less downtime.
Things of all sorts typically require less maintenance as their development progresses. Why wouldn't this be true of modern vehicles and their engines along with the oil we put in them?

I've made the mistake with going round for round with this guy. It's all based on feelings and "I think". You aren't wrong.

Car companies are trying like crazy to show how cheap their cars are to maintain. A 3k-5k oil change sounds inconvenient to most people and it is a waste of resources with the improvements in motor oils. I won't do more than 7k because of direct injection, but I also constantly check my oil levels. I don't think think many 10k oil change intervals are going to cause engine failure, but burning oil that gets the oil level low enough that it could cause engine damage may do it and it's a much bigger concern with a longer interval. It likely wouldn't be a concern if it was standard practice to check oil level when fueling. I think that's also why oil level sensors are getting more common. It's a warning, plus it likely will protect the manufacturer when a driver doesn't top of the oil before damage occurs. I still keep a bottle of oil in my car just in case the level drops.

The only thing I've purchased from Liqui Moly has been a small tube of grease. It was black. (I assume because of the Moly in it). Is it true all of their oil is black as well? Like Arco Graphite used to be.

Back