Can you even buy a "bad" oil anymore? Even cheap syn is great!

I don't get the rationale of buying SuperTech, when for the same money you can do better, like Mobil 1 better. And Mobil 1 uses higher quality ingredients compared to SuperTech.

Supertech is still about $6 a jug cheaper than Mobil 1, so that's not "the same money". And as others have said, for a lot of people who don't drive too hard and have engines that are easy on the oil, Supertech is more than good enough to get them to 300,000 miles or more. Besides, I'd be willing to bet that the Supertech made today is just as good if not better than the Mobil 1 from 4-5 years ago. The quality of the lower cost synthetics is a lot better these days than ever before.

Most of it is pure profit. Selling boutique oil products is highly profitable. One look at Forrest Lucas's mansion here in Indianapolis (that he doesn't even live in much of the year) tells you that.
Exxon had 8.2 billion in earnings Q1. It's called a business for a reason.

Supertech is still about $6 a jug cheaper than Mobil 1, so that's not "the same money". And as others have said, for a lot of people who don't drive too hard and have engines that are easy on the oil, Supertech is more than good enough to get them to 300,000 miles or more. Besides, I'd be willing to bet that the Supertech made today is just as good if not better than the Mobil 1 from 4-5 years ago. The quality of the lower cost synthetics is a lot better these days than ever before.
I will take Quaker State over SuperTech any day. In fact, I use QS in one of my vehicles.

I will take Quaker State over SuperTech any day. In fact, I use QS in one of my vehicles.
I use QS just because it's only $2 more for a 5 qt jug. I would use super tech if there wasn't supposedly better oil for about the same price.

I put lucas universal transmission oil (meant for tractors) in my transfer case because it says meets gl4

Friends don't let friends use Supertech.

Edit; I can tell what someone looks like by what's in their shopping cart at the grocery store.
Same goes for what their vehicle looks like by the oil.
So by this analogy can you explain what my vehicle looks like if I said I’m using super tech 5w30, and a k&n select?

I don't get the rationale of buying SuperTech, when for the same money you can do better, like Mobil 1 better. And Mobil 1 uses higher quality ingredients compared to SuperTech.
I have been running Supertech in a fleet of family cars for years! No issues. We even had the infamous chrysler 2.7 intrepid which we put 180K on before getting a new car- never an engine issue. I have photos of the inside of a Chrysler 3.6 I just did lifters and a cam in a January- it had 200,000+ miles on it- all with diet of Supertech oil. Inside of engine was spotless. Now has 204K. I can't argue with the results. I run it in Chrysler, Chevrolet 5.3 Tahoe, several Nissan Altima, Murano, and Rogue models. Never had an oil related failure and we keep our vehicles until at least 200K. Van still going strong and runs from NY to FL on the regular with no worries!
look for yourself- does this look like "bad oil" at 200K miles? (5K-8K OCI- Supertech 5w30 Synthetic 10k stuff).

IMG_7189 (1).jpg

IMG_6800 (5).jpg

IMG_9879.jpg

Even though I'm using Supertech in my Honda right now, I actually have a jug of QSUP protection that I bought a few weeks ago so it's going in the Honda on the next oil change in a few weeks. But that doesn't change my belief that Supertech can get the job done, I just like trying new oils a lot and this Honda has seen many different oils.

I call it a Dead Heat Race that fighting to finish Show in a hypothetical horse race.

Patman's comment earlier that Supertech is as good as vanilla Mobil1 about 4-5 years ago is correct (as I see it).
The EP / Triple Action produced today resolved all complaints from the past on engine loudness and oil consumption issues. I call this oil the 2024 Best$$Bang Dexos/SP oil for our $30-$33 price range.
Don't change a thing for the forseeable future Exxon-Mobil Corp.

BTW.... the Supertech Advanced formula rates very well with me, for an extended oil under $25. Plus, there are dozens of very good protection UOAs on this board for the 10k Supertech at around $20 a-pop..

Last edited:
The EP / Triple Action produced today resolved all complaints from the past on engine loudness and oil consumption issues.
I wouldn’t say that with much confidence. I used the triple action ep in my 5.0 and it burned through it pretty good. QS and Valvoline after didn’t burn a drop.

Even though I'm using Supertech in my Honda right now, I actually have a jug of QSUP protection that I bought a few weeks ago so it's going in the Honda on the next oil change in a few weeks. But that doesn't change my belief that Supertech can get the job done, I just like trying new oils a lot and this Honda has seen many different oils.
I'm genuinely considering QSUP, PP or something close in my FL5 because intervals are going to be 2800-3200 depending on day of the week I hit the mileage. Track/ auto X I fill with eneos super street.

I'm genuinely considering QSUP, PP or something close in my FL5 because intervals are going to be 2800-3200 depending on day of the week I hit the mileage. Track/ auto X I fill with eneos super street.

QSUP is a great deal right now (under $24) and appears to be a pretty good option for extended drains as well.

You really think an oil that costs $15/5qt is going to equal the performance of something like HPL, Amsoil, Redline and friends? All that increased price is pure profit for the expensive brands?
If your goal is to drive a vehicle 150,000 to 250,000 miles and you are willing to change oil on the manufacturer's recommendation, and you are using the oil that is in specification per your owner's manual, then yes, you will get there in the exact same way with Kirkland or HPL, or Quaker State or Amazon basics.

Back