What's up with filter prices?

Just like most things these days... we have to do a ton of research to see if alternatives are available and then when finding a good price, stock up if the storage space is available.

These champ XLs are 99% efficient at 20 microns and were available from the same warehouse as another part I was ordering on RockAuto so the additional shipping was minimal.

@ $3.59/filter, cost ends up being even lower than pre-covid (vs the old Fram Ultras) and efficiency might be similar

IMG_1641.jpeg

I’ve just started buying filters from our local parts supplier (Bensons, a Canadian chain) rather than the CT store I work for.
Our cheapest ‘certified’ filter is $6.49; even with a bring-over markup, Ecoguard equivalent is just over $5 from Bensons.

I see the same thing. Both of them, in general have their car parts at a higher price point. The three filters you're using are excellent and an excellent value, especially the Fram Tough Guard purchased at Walmart.

For oil filters I've standardized on Fram. They have a filter in every price point for every budget and with a very good level of quality and performance. I appreciate how they use the average of multiple filters within a family to claim filter efficiency. Their website is also very clear on the construction of their filters.
Like I said, I've been happy with the consistency of the Frams and the newer Champ labs made SuperTechs. I like the Supertech MPs, but they don't make the MP version for every size I need. I used to be on the Fram fiber "cardboard" endcap hater band wagon, but the Frams have remained the most consistent when I cut them open, and I've cut open pretty much every major brand. It is hard to beat the Tough Guard and Extra Guard for the price with a silicone ADBV, which matters to me since a lot of my vehicles/equipment get used frequently in cold winter temps.

I guess if someone did extended OCI I could see the need for one of the expensive filters, but otherwise I don't really see the point. I don't drive enough anymore to do extended OCIs anyway, and I do notice if I leave filters on for longer than two changes they get really hard to remove with all of the heat cycles.

For most folks who own older cars, it's cheaper to just do a Pit Crew oil change at Walmart instead of buying the oil and filter.

I also can do a synthetic blend oil change at Firestone for $25. It was $20 for over a decade for my dealership. COVID bumped the price, but it's still quite reasonable.

Most folks can just take a coupon for a cheap oil change and Firestone will usually match it. 99% of the time if you just ask for the same price the next time they will just give it to you.

I enjoy doing my own oil changes so long as it's just the oil and filter. With a dealership for 20 years now, I frankly just don't want to waste my labor on oil changes anymore. It's cheaper to send it out.

Motorcraft had a 20-30% price increase on filters at the beginning of July. It was described as a "vendor price increase." Applied to oil, air, cabin, and probably fuel filters too.
dam. I like motorcraft oil filters. Just checked walmart site and they are over $13

I bet I paid no more than 8.50 for the last one I bought. 10.99 at O'Reileys per the interwebs.

30 years of wars in the middle east and Afghanistan etc. and billions sent to Ukraine and CV 19 free money. I remember the 70's inflation after the president removed the dollar from the Gold standard to pay for the military etc. costs of the Vietnam war.

If you ever lose the shop pricing, a case of 12 is $55 plus shipping at Rockauto. Say $70 total. That would put them at just under $6 each, assuming you plan to have the Jeep long enough to use a dozen filters.

dam. I like motorcraft oil filters. Just checked walmart site and they are over $13

I bet I paid no more than 8.50 for the last one I bought. 10.99 at O'Reileys per the interwebs.
Most dealers knew about it ahead of time and we were able to order more than normal. I think I ordered 180ea of FL-500s and FL-910s since those are our fastest movers. I would have ordered a lot more, but space is a concern. I know of some dealers that ordered thousands of each number. What you lost on the initial purchase was more than made up the next day when you could charge the new higher price but have the investment at the lower cost.

It's not just the auto parts stores, a lot of it is the brand themselves now. I know it depends on how popular a filter model is, but even at Walmart the fram PH9688 filters I always use to buy for about $5ish are now like $9ish and often a tad more than a TG9688. Lots of pricing doesn't seem to make much sense right now.

Lately, I've been ordering whatever e-core filters are the cheapest on rockauto. Plus, for some applications, I'm stacked so deep already that I'll be lucky to use them up before the rigs die on me.

It seems like Fram's done a good job maintaining stable pricing on their most popular filters; Extra Guard, Tough Guard and Ultra Synthetic. They're hanging in there at $4.14, $7.17 and $8.20 respectively.

Back