What's up with filter prices?

I get a shop discount when I buy a filter. usually have it brought to me so I have not been in a auto parts store lately.

Saw this tonight @ orileys. The 51085 filter that fits my jeep. Same as a ph16,fl300 etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20230811_155257662.jpg
    IMG_20230811_155257662.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 223
What were they before?

I was buying filters for what I thought was reasonable at $4 per, but now they seem to have gone up to $6 per (bulk buying). 50% inflation. Kinda matches everything else, eh?

I get a shop discount when I buy a filter. usually have it brought to me so I have not been in a auto parts store lately.

Saw this tonight @ orileys. The 51085 filter that fits my jeep. Same as a ph16,fl300 etc.
The Orileys near me has always been expensive, but I noticed the Napa filters are way over priced now. Lately I've just been using the Fram Extra and Tough Guards, and the Supertech filters.

So much markup at auto parts stores. IMO, I would pay that for a filter, if I got a price that beats Wal-Mart on oil.

Is there ANY ¨loss leaders¨ at an auto parts store? One reason I shop at Wal-Mart. I really don´t understand how the sales model works. You went to Wendys for the 99 cent Jr. bacon cheesburgers. You go to Menards for Romex, you go to Wal-Mart for motor oil..... loss leaders get you in the store to hopefully buy other things as well.

The Orileys near me has always been expensive, but I noticed the Napa filters are way over priced now. Lately I've just been using the Fram Extra and Tough Guards, and the Supertech filters.
I see the same thing. Both of them, in general have their car parts at a higher price point. The three filters you're using are excellent and an excellent value, especially the Fram Tough Guard purchased at Walmart.

For oil filters I've standardized on Fram. They have a filter in every price point for every budget and with a very good level of quality and performance. I appreciate how they use the average of multiple filters within a family to claim filter efficiency. Their website is also very clear on the construction of their filters.

$4.56 ea plus shipping on rockauto. Buy a dozen. Local parts store is ripping you off. To their credit it's hard as heck keeping stuff in same-day inventory with an ever increasing number of part numbers to stock. But this size must move dozens per week.

So much markup at auto parts stores. IMO, I would pay that for a filter, if I got a price that beats Wal-Mart on oil.

Is there ANY ¨loss leaders¨ at an auto parts store? One reason I shop at Wal-Mart. I really don´t understand how the sales model works. You went to Wendys for the 99 cent Jr. bacon cheesburgers. You go to Menards for Romex, you go to Wal-Mart for motor oil..... loss leaders get you in the store to hopefully buy other things as well.
Free wiper blade Installation :LOL:.

Yeah that’s why I started getting my filters through work now. Get them for net price instead of list. O’Reilly is usually really expensive anyway. I can get those filters for about $7-8 for Wix usually.

It’s been this way for as long as I can remember, Walmart, Amazon, rock auto are the only places I purchase filters. I do miss the pepboys Black Friday deals.

I never buy anything but parts I can't get anywhere else from part stores. O'Reillys has been almost double the price of walmart for Motorcraft filters. $13 vs $6-7. I also look at their wiper blade sales and laugh. Sale price is double too.

Wendys has 99 cent stuff?? Wow, mcdonalds prices more than trippled. I have been eating healthy for a while. My girlfriend just said thats all we eat now. Have to keep her happy you know.

Back