Parts Store Oil Filter Choices

Let’s talk oil filters, My car use cartridge oil filters. What parts store make the best cartridge oil filter? I have a napa, Autozone, Advance auto, Fisher auto parts and auto plus auto parts in my area. Not sure what brand oil filters fisher or auto plus parts sell…Thanks.

I'm not sure why, but brand matters less to me on a cartridge filter. It may be because I care less about my Mazda (only vehicle I have with one), or that I can actually see them before install to insure they look good. I always use whatever is cheapest in it and they all come out looking fine. I've used Fram (orange), K&N, Denso, Bosch and all came out looking similar after a 1yr 5k run.

Otherwise the best names for normal can filters would also be the best for cartridges.

Currently using Autozone extended life oil filter, Car is a 2013 Fiat 500 Pop 1.4 non-turbo engine with a 5 speed manual transmission. Just change the oil and using Quaker State Ultimate Protection fully synthetic 5w30

Is the Fiat Pop (or its engine) available in N. America?
I've experience with my 2 B5254S Volvo engines.....and a few others.
OE is always a choice.
The 'triumvirate' of foreign filters....Mahle, Hengst and Mann.

Back when foreign cars made up the bulk of element filter sales, it was easy to conclude the filter companies were simply price gauging.
"How can an oil filter without any valving or external can be more expensive than any spin-on?"

I concluded it was because, a) they can and b) they have to use stronger material as the customer can feel the element.

I noticed the 'approved' filters for my car, Volvo and the ones mentioned above, were always quite hard to the touch.
Certain aftermarket brands used a "fuzzy coated" element.
NOGO on the soft & fuzzy versions.

What I'd do were I in your position is get an OE filter. Note whatever you can and match any other replacement against it.
Go with any that look similar.

Without spending on science or measurements, it's the best you'll be able to do.

If it becomes torturous, stick with OE.

Is the Fiat Pop (or its engine) available in N. America?
I've experience with my 2 B5254S Volvo engines.....and a few others.
OE is always a choice.
The 'triumvirate' of foreign filters....Mahle, Hengst and Mann.

Back when foreign cars made up the bulk of element filter sales, it was easy to conclude the filter companies were simply price gauging.
"How can an oil filter without any valving or external can be more expensive than any spin-on?"

I concluded it was because, a) they can and b) they have to use stronger material as the customer can feel the element.

I noticed the 'approved' filters for my car, Volvo and the ones mentioned above, were always quite hard to the touch.
Certain aftermarket brands used a "fuzzy coated" element.
NOGO on the soft & fuzzy versions.

What I'd do were I in your position is get an OE filter. Note whatever you can and match any other replacement against it.
Go with any that look similar.

Without spending on science or measurements, it's the best you'll be able to do.

If it becomes torturous, stick with OE.
Yes, Fiat and Chrysler are Fca, Fiat Chrysler automobiles, Dodge and Jeep use the same 1.4 engines in the Jeep Renegade and Dodge Dart except those I believe are turbocharged.

Basically the majority of parts under the hood of my Fiat are Mopar parts, All Fiat dealerships are Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Chrysler and Fiat all together. Not all Dodge dealers carry the Fiat brand.

OEM or Fram is always my go to. Both can typically be found at local Auto Parts Stores. I prefer name brands purchased at dealerships or brick and mortar retailers (WM, AZ, O’Reilly’s etc.) which reduces the chance of counterfeit products. It’s more important to me that I have a genuine part which will not harm my vehicle vs saving a few bucks and risking potential damage from knock offs. The best part about cartridge filters is you can inspect the media? Which is also nice.

Where (which country) are you, OP?
In Europe the tussle seems always to be finding the oil one wants without having to buy way above your quality requirements.

I swear I want to go into the auto maintenance supply smuggling business.

Premium Guard made STP oil filters are a good option. Sometimes you might be able to get it in a bundle w/oil for sale price.

Last edited:
Sometimes the store brand cartridge filters may be made by multiple suppliers. Case in point, I bought an O'Reilly house brand cartridge filter for my BMW and it turned out to be a re-packaged Mahle filter, made in Austria. I was excited so I ordered 4 more, 1 of which was another Mahle, and 3 which had no manufacturer name and had printed on them "Made in Korea".

Premium Guard made STP oil filters are a good option. Sometimes you might be able to get it in a bundle w/oil for sale price.
Yup, how I buy my M1 ESP plus cartridge filter bundle from Autozone. Remains the best deal in down at a little over $42 including the premium cartridge STP filter for the Merc. Could be less but prefer to be safe and stay with the premium rather than regular cartridge filter.

Yup, how I buy my M1 ESP plus cartridge filter bundle from Autozone. Remains the best deal in down at a little over $42 including the premium cartridge STP filter for the Merc. Could be less but prefer to be safe and stay with the premium rather than regular cartridge filter.
Nice! I just saw a "Conventional" oil deal w/filter for like $27. Not too bad.

OEM or Fram is always my go to. Both can typically be found at local Auto Parts Stores. I prefer name brands purchased at dealerships or brick and mortar retailers (WM, AZ, O’Reilly’s etc.) which reduces the chance of counterfeit products. It’s more important to me that I have a genuine part which will not harm my vehicle vs saving a few bucks and risking potential damage from knock offs. The best part about cartridge filters is you can inspect the media? Which is also nice.
I'm with you on Fram filters. Their performance specs are excellent and their averaging method of measurement is good. I stay away from OEM filters because I cannot find performance specs for them (Efficiency @micron and life). Without specs its tough to calculate if I'm getting value and an OEM could be providing the absolute minimum performance from their filters.

Back