Parts Store Oil Filter Choices

I'm with you on Fram filters. Their performance specs are excellent and their averaging method of measurement is good. I stay away from OEM filters because I cannot find performance specs for them (Efficiency @micron and life). Without specs its tough to calculate if I'm getting value and an OEM could be providing the absolute minimum performance from their filters.
Yeah. More or less OEM it is just an easy button. I figure someone else did all the hard work for me.

If you end up purchasing a Fram cartridge filter, be sure to check the country of origin on the filter. If it is made in Brazil, buy something else.

There have been a couple of threads lately concerning a couple of cartridge Fram Ultra filters made in Brazil, and there are holes/perforations on the crimped seam of the media. I have noticed that Fram has shifted production of some of their lower tier cartridge filters to Brazil as well. Just pay attention.

The basic STP (autozone) cartridge filters are identical to Supertech ST and ACDelco (Champ Labs), at least for many applications. IMO these are perfect budget-friendly choices for a 5k OCI, unless others are available for less $$. The Fram Drive model at Advance is also a good choice for 5k.

Last edited:
Currently using Autozone extended life oil filter, Car is a 2013 Fiat 500 Pop 1.4 non-turbo engine with a 5 speed manual transmission. Just change the oil and using Quaker State Ultimate Protection fully synthetic 5w30
That is the EXACT oil change I do on a Customer's 500 Pop. Been doing this combo for a long time - it works.

I simply do not buy into the "use OEM only oil filters". Are they a solid choice? Sure but so are many others (and sometimes for less money) and with the spec printed on the box. My personal opinion is that the AC Delcos are not what they should be and after having 2 defective ones I never buy them anymore.

Currently using Autozone extended life oil filter, Car is a 2013 Fiat 500 Pop 1.4 non-turbo engine with a 5 speed manual transmission. Just change the oil and using Quaker State Ultimate Protection fully synthetic 5w30
It doesn’t really matter all that much on cartridge style whatever meets the oem requirements.

Back