What's going on with gas prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Waiting for the inevitable spring refinery fire and/or explosion, seems to happen every year! I think it's the spring fuel changeover, seems like prices here go up until around Mother's Day, then bounce around until after July 4th.

Already happened here.
https://ktla.com/2019/03/21/gas-pri...allon-following-fire-at-carson-refinery/

The article said 10 cents a gallon, but most stations went up at least 20 - 30 cents a gallon.

Originally Posted by grampi

Even the C5s would get over 30 MPG on the highway with a manual tranny...

Even with an automatic trans too. My C5 was automatic with the 3.23 gears and got 31 MPG highway. The autos with 2.73 gears would get 1 or 2 more MPG.

Originally Posted by Patman

Even the C5s would get over 30 MPG on the highway with a manual tranny...

Even with an automatic trans too. My C5 was automatic with the 3.23 gears and got 31 MPG highway. The autos with 2.73 gears would get 1 or 2 more MPG.

It's hilarious when people call Vettes gas hogs...that may have been true about the old big block Vettes, but any that have been built over the last 20 years are very fuel efficient for a sports car...

Originally Posted by oldmaninsc
Waiting for the inevitable spring refinery fire and/or explosion, seems to happen every year! I think it's the spring fuel changeover, seems like prices here go up until around Mother's Day, then bounce around until after July 4th.

Already happened here.

The article said 10 cents a gallon, but most stations went up at least 20 - 30 cents a gallon.

The oil industry always uses refinery outages as a reason to raise prices...I wish I could slow down my work rate and increase my wages...

Originally Posted by oldmaninsc

Already happened here.

The oil industry always uses refinery outages as a reason to raise prices...I wish I could slow down my work rate and increase my wages...

I'm sure the Carson fire has nothing to do with Ohio. California has their own special blend of gasoline so this would be a localized disruption.

Originally Posted by 02SE
There's also higher fuel taxes that might be taking effect in some States.

If the price of fuel bothers you, I'd suggest reevaluating your budget, and needs.

Why do people always say this. I can afford $5 gas, easily, but you're missing the point. We have, and have had a glutton of supply for several years now, so there's no reason, other than profit padding, for gas prices to be as high as they are...

We live in a Capitalist Society. Would you prefer Government controls? It's worked well in Venezuela...

Originally Posted by Al
Oh Jezus here we go again. Gas prices go up a couple cents and its a conspiracy and its the traders' fault. S uck it up and pay it or drive less use that time you spend driving and be thankful you live in the USA
21.gif

Still looking at buying a gas guzzling 'Vette Grampi? Maybe if gas is too much, move to a Chevy Spark (like me)..38 mpg

A couple cents? What fantasy land do you live in? Gas is almost $1 a gallon higher than it was a year ago...and yes, I'm still looking at getting a Vette, but it can hardly be called a gas guzzler...it'll easily get over 30 MPG on the highway...that's almost as good as your Spark and a heckovalot more fun!

What fantasy land do you live in? Gas is not up $1 a gallon over last April and demand is higher right now at nearly 9.6 million barrels of gas.

If the price of fuel bothers you, I'd suggest reevaluating your budget, and needs.

Why do people always say this. I can afford $5 gas, easily, but you're missing the point. We have, and have had a glutton of supply for several years now, so there's no reason, other than profit padding, for gas prices to be as high as they are...

Supply side is part of the equation. Prices will rise as long as people will pay. And pay we do.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

More important things in life to worry about than gas prices. Here in the USA gasoline is still very inexpensive.

Can more refineries be built in the USA ?

Why would they build more? it is the short supply that makes money, they are not in the business to help lower your price and their profit.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by Kjmack
I often wondered why those tiny Chevy's get such lousy gas mileage ? A car like that should be in the 50s I would hope , alot of midsize sedans do 38 mpg .

Aerodynamics + cheap automatic transmission = bad gas mpgs

I have a manual

Many economy cars in the 80's that got 50mpg had

Did you see that on Youtube.
How about proof..thanks.

We live in a Capitalist Society. Would you prefer Government controls? It's worked well in Venezuela...

No, I would prefer that crude oil products were not part of the commodities market so its prices were actually controlled by supply and demand, instead of the industry making up excuses to raise prices...

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Al
Oh Jezus here we go again. Gas prices go up a couple cents and its a conspiracy and its the traders' fault. S uck it up and pay it or drive less use that time you spend driving and be thankful you live in the USA
21.gif

Still looking at buying a gas guzzling 'Vette Grampi? Maybe if gas is too much, move to a Chevy Spark (like me)..38 mpg

A couple cents? What fantasy land do you live in? Gas is almost $1 a gallon higher than it was a year ago...and yes, I'm still looking at getting a Vette, but it can hardly be called a gas guzzler...it'll easily get over 30 MPG on the highway...that's almost as good as your Spark and a heckovalot more fun!

What fantasy land do you live in? Gas is not up $1 a gallon over last April and demand is higher right now at nearly 9.6 million barrels of gas.

Less than a year ago I was paying just over $2 and now it's almost $3. The price has gone up at least 75 to 80
cents a gallon. Demand can be higher as we have a glutton of supply...prices based on supply and demand shouldn't be up more than 20 or 30 cents a gallon...

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

More important things in life to worry about than gas prices. Here in the USA gasoline is still very inexpensive.

Can more refineries be built in the USA ?

Why would they build more? it is the short supply that makes money, they are not in the business to help lower your price and their profit.

Aint that the truth!

Less than a year ago I was paying just over $2 and now it's almost $3. The price has gone up at least 75 to 80
cents a gallon. Demand can be higher as we have a glutton of supply...prices based on supply and demand shouldn't be up more than 20 or 30 cents a gallon...

Reagan's " oil market" failure strikes again.

Giving the middle man a say in what you pay since 1984.

A good chunk of the financial crisis was caused by a certain bank controlling over 80% of the diesel and fuel oil market on the east coast, investing in and stockpiling the crap, then as prices and demand dropped they went bankrupt, and history was made again

go figure

I'm in the EU … they would absolutely love to pay what folks on this site complain about = when they are free to work on the part of the economic mix they control …

And since this just went political … why not close it along with the AF one thread

(Think I know) …

Originally Posted by 4WD
I'm in the EU … they would absolutely love to pay what folks on this site complain about = when they are free to work on the part of the economic mix they control …

And since this just went political … why not close it along with the AF one thread

(Think I know) …

Irrelevant comparison. You can't compare our prices with those overseas. The difference is they pay A LOT more in taxes. I don't get why people call for a thread to close...if you don't like it, don't post...

Last edited:
Absolutely. No one has to participate if the topic is somehow uncomfortable.

All the folks dreaming of higher pricing and how it will help the environment need to remember that your local contractors and service businesses will be forced to adjust their pricing.

You'll pay more for a lot of additional things besides just your own fuel...

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Absolutely. No one has to participate if the topic is somehow uncomfortable.

All the folks dreaming of higher pricing and how it will help the environment need to remember that your local contractors and service businesses will be forced to adjust their pricing.

You'll pay more for a lot of additional things besides just your own fuel...

This is why I don't get people who say they don't pay attention to or care about gas prices...do you not care that you're also going to be paying more for everything else?

Since when is capitalism a foul word , it's the other word that is foul . It's inhumane to all that fall under it's spell , Now they can close it . lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back