What's going on with gas prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Waiting for the inevitable spring refinery fire and/or explosion, seems to happen every year! I think it's the spring fuel changeover, seems like prices here go up until around Mother's Day, then bounce around until after July 4th.

BP is notorious for this. Everywhere else in the nation will be dropping prices and rather conveniently they'll experience an outage and our prices go through the roof.

Originally Posted by CT8
Supply and demand. Stay home quit driving around etc. Dang I need 30 gallons of diesel for the tractor.

Supply and demand? We still have tankers in our ports full of crude oil because we have no place to put it all, but prices are still going up...makes no sense...

Didn't we have one of those a week or two ago in TX?

I believe the Conoco Phillips refinery in Wood River, IL had one in the past 8 weeks, IIRC.

According to EIA.gov GAS prices while up, are still lower than a year ago in almost every region. The exception is the Midwest.

https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/

Has the flooding in Nebraska impacted shipments and/or pipelines?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Waiting for the inevitable spring refinery fire and/or explosion, seems to happen every year! I think it's the spring fuel changeover, seems like prices here go up until around Mother's Day, then bounce around until after July 4th.

Last edited:
Oh Jezus here we go again. Gas prices go up a couple cents and its a conspiracy and its the traders' fault. S uck it up and pay it or drive less use that time you spend driving and be thankful you live in the USA
21.gif

Still looking at buying a gas guzzling 'Vette Grampi? Maybe if gas is too much, move to a Chevy Spark (like me)..38 mpg

Last edited:
I often wondered why those tiny Chevy's get such lousy gas mileage ? A car like that should be in the 50s I would hope , alot of midsize sedans do 38 mpg .

Originally Posted by Al
Oh Jezus here we go again. Gas prices go up a couple cents and its a conspiracy and its the traders' fault. S uck it up and pay it or drive less use that time you spend driving and be thankful you live in the USA
21.gif

Still looking at buying a gas guzzling 'Vette Grampi? Maybe if gas is too much, move to a Chevy Spark (like me)..38 mpg

The new Vettes aren't gas guzzling. I can get over 38 MPG highway on my Corvette actually. It helps to have an 8 speed trans (the engine turns at only 1500 rpm at 80 mph) and runs on 4 cylinders while cruising.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
I often wondered why those tiny Chevy's get such lousy gas mileage ? A car like that should be in the 50s I would hope , alot of midsize sedans do 38 mpg .

That is non highway. 3.5 miles into town and back maybe twice/day. My 2.0 XT Subaru Forester gets (driving like that) 19mpg. People always cherry pick their mileage. I check mine under the best and worst conditions.

It gets 39.5 summer 36.2 winter.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Al
21.gif

The new Vettes aren't gas guzzling. I can get over 38 MPG highway on my Corvette actually. It helps to have an 8 speed trans (the engine turns at only 1500 rpm at 80 mph) and runs on 4 cylinders while cruising.

Sure but in my conditions you would not even sniff 22mpg. My Boxy 2.0 Forester can get 33 Highway.

But to our points..I doubt if either of us [censored] or cuts back driving bc of gas mileage.

Last edited:

Aerodynamics + cheap automatic transmission = bad gas mpgs

Many economy cars in the 80's that got 50mpg had
1. 1 liter 50hp engine
2. Stick
3. Weighed well under 2000lbs

Nobody but Mitsubishi sells anything close to the 3 requirements and not surprising they also have the most econo box sales and the best non hybrid fuel economy.

That said my little Cobalt stick tops 50mpg all summer, you can't touch that with the autotragic version

You'd be surprised at how high it averages overall though Al. On my last OCI of 5500 miles it's average was 25.6 MPG. My point is that they aren't really gas guzzling just because they are high performance V8s. Driven responsibly they get better MPG than most 6 cylinder cars on the road. My wife's BMW for instance, doesn't get as good mileage, despite having only 230hp vs 455hp.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

Aerodynamics + cheap automatic transmission = bad gas mpgs

Many economy cars in the 80's that got 50mpg had
1. 1 liter 50hp engine
2. Stick
3. Weighed well under 2000lbs

Nobody but Mitsubishi sells anything close to the 3 requirements and not surprising they also have the most econo box sales and the best non hybrid fuel economy.

That said my little Cobalt stick tops 50mpg all summer, you can't touch that with the autotragic version

Pretty close.

Things that help fuel economy cost money, you can make an automatic good for fuel economy if you put many gears / steps in it, make an engine fuel efficient if you make it variable valve timing and lift, make the accessories efficient if you put in electric power steering, stop start, drive by wire (to increase compression by reduce safety margin for knock protection), cylinder deactivation, etc.

The thing is, there're fixed cost to a car no matter how big or small it is, but customers expect size and price to be linearly correlated.

There's also higher fuel taxes that might be taking effect in some States.

If the price of fuel bothers you, I'd suggest reevaluating your budget, and needs.

Originally Posted by Al
21.gif

A couple cents? What fantasy land do you live in? Gas is almost $1 a gallon higher than it was a year ago...and yes, I'm still looking at getting a Vette, but it can hardly be called a gas guzzler...it'll easily get over 30 MPG on the highway...that's almost as good as your Spark and a heckovalot more fun!

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Al
21.gif

Even the C5s would get over 30 MPG on the highway with a manual tranny...

Originally Posted by 02SE

If the price of fuel bothers you, I'd suggest reevaluating your budget, and needs.

Why do people always say this. I can afford $5 gas, easily, but you're missing the point. We have, and have had a glutton of supply for several years now, so there's no reason, other than profit padding, for gas prices to be as high as they are...

Originally Posted by grampi

Why do people always say this. I can afford $5 gas, easily, but you're missing the point. We have, and have had a glutton of supply for several years now, so there's no reason, other than profit padding, for gas prices to be as high as they are...

More important things in life to worry about than gas prices. Here in the USA gasoline is still very inexpensive.

Can more refineries be built in the USA ?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

More important things in life to worry about than gas prices. Here in the USA gasoline is still very inexpensive.

Good question, I don't know. When gas prices go up, so does the price of everything else, so it isn't just gas prices going up...

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Good question, I don't know. When gas prices go up, so does the price of everything else, so it isn't just gas prices going up...

Well when oil goes up everything goes up , it's easy , but our last administration couldn't figure it out somehow .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back