Question on a employment screening test

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Soon to start a new chapter in my professional life. I applied for a job that required I answer about 600 online questions, solve problems, etc.

Here is part of the question I found fascinating: "Plummeting oil prices have a vast impact on the global economy, but local economies can also suffer. For example, when U.S. based oil companies lose money, it often results in personnel layoffs. If the costs remain low for a long period of time, the economic downfall will continue to spread throughout the cities and towns built around the oil industry." I don't concur with that theory. Over the past 100 years, the drilling, refining, and selling of oil has been an above average return for most in the oil industry, from employees to investors. Yes, every industry has its ups and down, but the ups in oil almost always far outweigh the downs.

The price of crude oil has remained at the forefront of political and economic conversations due to its far-reaching impact on foreign policy and the financial prosperity of U.S. citizens. Though Presidential campaigns may tout how they will reduce the price of gas for the American consumer, lower oil costs are not always the cure-all they are made out to be. Plummeting oil prices have a vast impact on the global economy, but local economies can also suffer. For example, when U.S. based oil companies lose money, it often results in personnel layoffs. If the costs remain low for a long period of time, the economic downfall will continue to spread throughout the cities and towns built around the oil industry.

Which of the following can be inferred from the information in the passage?

1, The success of the U.S. economy can be directly tied to the price of crude oil.

2, The long term economic effects of lower oil prices may not benefit Americans.

3, Presidential campaigns should focus on the full impact of lower oil prices.

4, Cities built around the oil industry have economies that mirror foreign nations.

Last edited:
Are just the bolded parts from the question and answer?
The bottom bolded statements are the multiple choice answers available. I believe number 2 is what the author of the test identifies as the correct answer. I would likely align with @KGMtech - although this was posed as a question to measure critical thinking, I suspect there is an alternate motivation to be identified in the question.

Have you already submitted your answer, or are you seeking input to determine the best answer?

The paragraph does not have a clear message. The first sentence implies that high oil prices are bad, the second one says that low oil prices aren't good either.

Low oil prices aren't a "long term" situation; they always go back up. It's cycles of boom and bust like many other things. People in the oil industry are used to it.

Have you already submitted your answer, or are you seeking input to determine the best answer?
It was a timed test, 600 questions, no going back, etc. Yes, I completed the test. I was not seeking help, just found the question a bit fascinating on a critical thinking test.

On another question I hit the wrong answer, caught myself, but was not allowed to revise my answer.

The bottom bolded statements are the multiple choice answers available. I believe number 2 is what the author of the test identifies as the correct answer. I would likely align with @KGMtech - although this was posed as a question to measure critical thinking, I suspect there is an alternate motivation to be identified in the question.
#2 would be my guess, based on the information provided. The others show bias or preconception that the answerer may bring into the job, that may be problematic; and/or show inability to make decisions based solely on the information given.

But I’m not sure that it is trying to ferret out something like that, I would expect more inflammatory responses. I think it was straight up critical reading skills. Nothing more.

#2 would be my guess, based on the information provided. The others show bias or preconception that the answerer may bring into the job, that may be problematic; and/or show inability to make decisions based solely on the information given.

But I’m not sure that it is trying to ferret out something like that, I would expect more inflammatory responses. I think it was straight up critical reading skills. Nothing more.
I thought of the question to along the lines of "low inflation is a hardship to businesses with lots of real estate assets and a high debt to asset ratio on the real estate debt".

Edited because of your post identifying the company.

You are seeking employment with a political lobbying group. Given their mission I'm not surprised they have a 600 question test. They want to make sure you to believe in their mission. Like KGNtech said it's a cult - all lobbying groups are cults that are out for their own agenda.

Scott

Last edited:
Just on logic alone, the correct answer is 2.

1, The success of the U.S. economy can be directly tied to the price of crude oil. Not enough information given to draw this conclusion.

2, The long term economic effects of lower oil prices may not benefit Americans. It's such a wishy-washy answer that it may or may not benefit Americans. So, it could be true.

3, Presidential campaigns should focus on the full impact of lower oil prices. Economists should focus on the full impact but not necessarily presidential campaigns.

4, Cities built around the oil industry have economies that mirror foreign nations. Don't even know what this mean.

I did some Googling and this is the full question which makes the answer choices make more sense:

Occupational Reading Assessment The price of crude oil has remained at the forefront of political and economic conversations due to its far-reaching impact on foreign policy and the financial prosperity of U.S. citizens. Though Presidential campaigns may tout how they will reduce the price of gas for the American consumer, lower oil costs are not always the cure-all they are made out to be. Plummeting oil prices have a vast impact on the global economy, but local economies can also suffer. For example, when U.S. based oil companies lose money, it often results in personnel layoffs. If the costs remain low for a long period of time, the economic downfall will continue to spread throughout the cities and towns built around the oil industry. Which of the following can be inferred from the information in the passage?

Reactions: STW
A 600 question timed pre-employment test is bizarre beyond words.

Scott
It was unexpected. I filled out the application on line, and after one gets done with the application, you get transferred to the test. There was not a disclosure of the test when applying for the job. Not sure I would have applied if I knew of the test- I did find questions like this unexpected content for a critical thinking test.

Last week I disconnected from the final stages of an employment process, when the next step required me to sign my rights away from what was collected during the interview and testing process, that they had rights to do anything with the information/ results they gathered from the process (like sell/ market my information), and I had no rights to question or know what they did with the information. I almost took that waiver of rights as a critical thinking test in itself- that anyone who would sign that be a NOGO on critical thinking.

Soon to start a new chapter in my professional life. I applied for a job that required I answer about 600 online questions, solve problems, etc.

Here is part of the question I found fascinating: "Plummeting oil prices have a vast impact on the global economy, but local economies can also suffer. For example, when U.S. based oil companies lose money, it often results in personnel layoffs. If the costs remain low for a long period of time, the economic downfall will continue to spread throughout the cities and towns built around the oil industry." I don't concur with that theory. Over the past 100 years, the drilling, refining, and selling of oil has been an above average return for most in the oil industry, from employees to investors. Yes, every industry has its ups and down, but the ups in oil almost always far outweigh the downs.

The price of crude oil has remained at the forefront of political and economic conversations due to its far-reaching impact on foreign policy and the financial prosperity of U.S. citizens. Though Presidential campaigns may tout how they will reduce the price of gas for the American consumer, lower oil costs are not always the cure-all they are made out to be. Plummeting oil prices have a vast impact on the global economy, but local economies can also suffer. For example, when U.S. based oil companies lose money, it often results in personnel layoffs. If the costs remain low for a long period of time, the economic downfall will continue to spread throughout the cities and towns built around the oil industry.

Which of the following can be inferred from the information in the passage?

1, The success of the U.S. economy can be directly tied to the price of crude oil.

2, The long term economic effects of lower oil prices may not benefit Americans.

3, Presidential campaigns should focus on the full impact of lower oil prices.

4, Cities built around the oil industry have economies that mirror foreign nations.
I say #4
Reason, some foreign nations, Actually quite a few, economies revolve around the oil industry as their prime product for export and domestic use.
Here is a list of top countries where oil production is significant in their GDP, a downfall hurts their economies tremendously.
just has to look at how we are punishing Russia right now.
(I know I think to much for my own good, the USA is around 7.6%)
----------------------------
Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 2.28.42 PM.png

Last edited:
It was unexpected. I filled out the application on line, and after one gets done with the application, you get transferred to the test. There was not a disclosure of the test when applying for the job. Not sure I would have applied if I knew of the test- I did find questions like this unexpected content for a critical thinking test.

Last week I disconnected from the final stages of an employment process, when the next step required me to sign my rights away from what was collected during the interview and testing process, that they had rights to do anything with the information/ results they gathered from the process (like sell/ market my information), and I had no rights to question or know what they did with the information. I almost took that waiver of rights as a critical thinking test in itself- that anyone who would sign that be a NOGO on critical thinking.
Interesting. In my original post before I edited it (which I did after you identified the "company"), I said that taking that test "profiled" you. With what they know about you, you will NEVER gain employment anywhere in the energy business. Your name and profile is already in the HR system for dozens of energy companies.

Scott

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Back