What Is Your Default Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0w-30:

- ACEA A3/B4,
- API SL/CF,
- MB229.5/229.3/226.5,
- VW 502.00/505.00

And recently also a volvo spec. In the past also BMW LL-01, but no more like Mobil1

For the Jetta I've been using Mobil 1 0w40 and Castrol 0W30/0W40 for years now. I switch between them depending what's on sale.

My FRS is getting TGMO or whatever 0w20 is on sale.

After i get rid of my case of napa syn i got for $2.99Q. I'll prob go back to using mobil1 AFE 0w20 on all the household cars. The taurus will get Pennzoil because the small oil pan leak.

Last edited:
If there was no such thing as sales or rebates?

Pennzoil conventional
Pennzoil High Mileage
Quaker State Ultimate Durability

depending on application.

Basically, gentlemen, if it's the right weight oil, got all those approved decals on the bottle, then any slip and slide in the bottle will do fine,,,IMHO.

I've always run M1 0w20 in my Insight. However the cost of oil doesn't concern me too much (2.6 quarts per change, long change intervals) so I've gotten into trying other oils lately. Last change I ordered a 4L bottle of Honda Green Oil from the UK. I'd like to get my hands on the even thinner "NEXT" oil, as subjectively my engine sounds better (especially when cold) when running oils thinner than a 0w20.

I'm just asking for fun. My decision on Warren and ACDelco oil is based on availability and price. If it was something else for similar price and availability, I'd stock it. I really don't care.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Just for fun, I'd like everyone to post the oil they go to when there are no rebates, sales, or clearances. ...
Huh, what is this "no rebates, sales or clearances" you speak of?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I haven't run out of clearance oil since I started hoarding 15 years ago. ...

Yup, same here. I cant think of the last time in 20 years that I paid full price for oil.
Even before I came here in 2004 I had a stash of VWB that I had gotten on sale and rebate (I think it was less than $1/qt).

Originally Posted By: Red91
...I imagine there will be a lot of Supertech.

If I had to go out and buy an oil right this second at full price, it probably would be Supertech (conventional/HM/Syn depending on the vehicle and oil change interval).
Unless you consider the Castrol GTX Magnatec on roll back at Walmart not a sale, then I would get that if I needed a syn.

Hopefully my stash never gets low enough to have to worry about it. Even thought there is nothing wrong with Supertech, I don't like paying more than ~$2.50/qt for synthetic oil.

Before I was taking advantage of all of the MIR I would buy M1 from Costco, but it was on sale. I guess if there were no sale or MIR I would just get whatever the store has for the best price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back