Is Traveller TSC oil any good?

Just picked up 5 gallon bucket of Traveller HD30 Conventional SP rated motor oil on clearance at TSC. Will use it for mower, pressure washer, top offs on a couple cars, etc (for the next decade or so!).

Any idea how one can tell who manufactures the oil for TSC? Is there a secret marking on the pail?

More than likely it is made by Smittys Supply. Check on the underside of the pail and see if it has a SSI emblem on it… That would be a definite sign it’s made by Smittys Supply.

Just picked up 5 gallon bucket of Traveller HD30 Conventional SP rated motor oil on clearance at TSC. Will use it for mower, pressure washer, top offs on a couple cars, etc (for the next decade or so!).

Any idea how one can tell who manufactures the oil for TSC? Is there a secret marking on the pail?
It used to be manufactured by Warren Oil Company on the east coast (not the same company as the Warren Distributing that makes SuperTech). Not sure if they still do.

More than likely it is made by Smittys Supply. Check on the underside of the pail and see if it has a SSI emblem on it… That would be a definite sign it’s made by Smittys Supply.
the pail is about as generic as it gets. Only things on there is a pail part number and recycling info. Cover has the same thing. Usually the plastic pails are made by Leaktite or other big suppliers (often from Leominster, MA) and say so on the packaging in big letters. This Traveller oil 5 gallon bucket has no bucket manufacturer identifiers on it. I did look up the Martins website and they actually make their own plastic containers. So maybe Martins? I never heard of them before reading this thread, btw.

The labeling is also about as free of marketing as you can get.
A3A6A555-898A-4D63-95F8-74EC517D4B8B.jpeg
4E94790D-9B27-4012-A302-9C0186143757.jpeg

the pail is about as generic as it gets. Only things on there is a pail part number and recycling info. Cover has the same thing. Usually the plastic pails are made by Leaktite or other big suppliers (often from Leominster, MA) and say so on the packaging in big letters. This Traveller oil 5 gallon bucket has no bucket manufacturer identifiers on it. I did look up the Martins website and they actually make their own plastic containers. So maybe Martins? I never heard of them before reading this thread, btw.

The labeling is also about as free of marketing as you can get.View attachment 188616View attachment 188617

Smittys supply makes their own 5 gallon containers too… I’d bet… That date code on there… Looks a whole, whole, whole lot like the same type font used on SS oil containers… Exact same I might add.

And check the underside of that container… not the sides… not the top.. the underside…

My 22HP Briggs & Stratton mower engine saw nothing but Traveller HD 30 for at least 10 years and it looked beautiful when I opened it up to replace the sump gasket last year. It still runs great.

for the price difference i would stay with a name brand,,watch for black friday sales etc on oil,its not worth gambling on some /store brand oils,watch for certifications,api licenses.proper approvals, reputation of manufactures that are beneficial to your needs.

Smittys supply makes their own 5 gallon containers too… I’d bet… That date code on there… Looks a whole, whole, whole lot like the same type font used on SS oil containers… Exact same I might add.

And check the underside of that container… not the sides… not the top.. the underside…
I did view the underside. It has no SS or anything else to identify the container manufacturer on it other than recycling info and part number. Since I may use this for my newly acquired ‘04 Volvo S80 Turbo (for summer oil changes) I would like to identify what this stuff is (who makes it, what is the formulation, etc). It is SP rated.

I did view the underside. It has no SS or anything else to identify the container manufacturer on it other than recycling info and part number. Since I may use this for my newly acquired ‘04 Volvo S80 Turbo (for summer oil changes) I would like to identify what this stuff is (who makes it, what is the formulation, etc). It is SP rated.

Yeah … You took good pictures of the other parts of it.

Having said that… That font with the date on there is a dead on perfect match for the font used on SS other oil products.

I bought some smitty’s HM 10w-30 on clearance at Kmart years ago.
Can’t seem to find it anywhere, searching led me to this thread. Might try QS Dino HM.

Back