What is THE BEST oil filter on the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Wix xp / Mobil 1 for everything I own. Family own . Friends own . My whole cars club using wix . itchy to try the purolator THE BOSS .

You should be worrying more about that inefficient air filter on your Cobra. It's causing more engine wear, and even running a more efficient oil filter will help offset that bad air filter.

Wix xp can take care that no problem .
thumbsup2.gif

Wix xp / Mobil 1 for everything I own. Family own . Friends own . My whole cars club using wix . itchy to try the purolator THE BOSS .

You should be worrying more about that inefficient air filter on your Cobra. It's causing more engine wear, and even running a more efficient oil filter will help offset that bad air filter.

thumbsup2.gif

It's cool to match inefficient oil filters with inefficient air filters ... gotta have a matching pair.
grin2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

It's cool to match inefficient oil filters with inefficient air filters ... gotta have a matching pair.
grin2.gif

That grin ain’t fly by me .

I use the Royal Purple Filters. Great efficiency & built like tanks. I get them on sale at Pep Boys for $10.99. But my short list of filters besides the Royal Purple would be Wix/Napa Gold or the Mobil 1 EP. You notice I don't have Fram Ultra on my list. While I'm sure it's a fine filter, I personally have had 2 issues with the "Orange can of Death" as I nicknamed them. So I will never use another Fram product. Much like many of you will never use Purolator because of your experiences.

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
I use the Royal Purple Filters. Great efficiency & built like tanks. I get them on sale at Pep Boys for $10.99. But my short list of filters besides the Royal Purple would be Wix/Napa Gold or the Mobil 1 EP. You notice I don't have Fram Ultra on my list. While I'm sure it's a fine filter, I personally have had 2 issues with the "Orange can of Death" as I nicknamed them. So I will never use another Fram product. Much like many of you will never use Purolator because of your experiences.

Fram Ultras aren’t orange. You were using the old school design. Also, the shareholders of Fram are different now, so who are you trying to punish?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

Fram Ultras aren’t orange. You were using the old school design. Also, the shareholders of Fram are different now, so who are you trying to punish?

I never said the Ultra was orange, I only stated that my experiences with Fram have been less than stellar using their product (It was the orange can). So I choose to spend $1 more on a Royal Purple that's the equal or better in some ways compared to the Ultra. I even stated that the Ultra was most likely a fine filter, but Fram is dead to me..... How many people here still using Purolator filters ? They've changed hands & revamped their lineup also, don't see people that had bad experiences with them standing in line either. Seriously, what is everyone's obsession with a Fram Ultra ? If anyone says they don't use one,people get their panties all in a bunch.

I think Fram is privately owned by someone in New Zealand. Was anyway. Not sure who is left American owned, Champ, Clarcor, and Donaldson, maybe.

I never said the Ultra was orange, I only stated that my experiences with Fram have been less than stellar using their product (It was the orange can). So I choose to spend $1 more on a Royal Purple that's the equal or better in some ways compared to the Ultra. I even stated that the Ultra was most likely a fine filter, but Fram is dead to me..... How many people here still using Purolator filters ? They've changed hands & revamped their lineup also, don't see people that had bad experiences with them standing in line either. Seriously, what is everyone's obsession with a Fram Ultra ? If anyone says they don't use one,people get their panties all in a bunch.

I think it's mainly because you used their lowest teir filter at the time, had a bad results and based the whole company line up due to your negative experience when the company has turned around in the recent years. You're not wrong for it but just high consider checking out their new line ups. I used to be exclusive to only Mobil 1 and Toyota/OEM filters for over a decade but switched to the current FRAM TG and Ultras a year ago and never looked back. Best bang for your buck at most places.

Originally Posted By: crazy_raccoon

I think it's mainly because you used their lowest teir filter at the time, had a bad results and based the whole company line up due to your negative experience when the company has turned around in the recent years. You're not wrong for it but just high consider checking out their new line ups. I used to be exclusive to only Mobil 1 and Toyota/OEM filters for over a decade but switched to the current FRAM TG and Ultras a year ago and never looked back. Best bang for your buck at most places.

So if you bought & drove GM trucks, & had 3 of them break down on you.....then you moved to Ford & never had a problem, would you buy another GM truck ? Most likely not, wouldn't matter if they "turned it around" or not, because your experience with GM had been nothing but negative. It goes back to the old saying "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me". As I stated earlier, I'm sure the Ultra is a fine filter, but Fram lost my trust years ago.....much like Purolator is now facing from many people.

The difference in engine longevity between the OCOD and the Ultra(when all else is equal) is most likely not going to be significant up to 10K OCIs.

It isn't going to be any different at all and they cant prove otherwise. These guys keep harping endlessly on 20 microns but then say its particles under 20 microns that do the most damage.
I just serviced a 2000 Jetta with the same Mann filter # it has used since new and the same 0w40. compression is good, leak down is good and it has 291K on the original engine. The car is falling apart around the engine (not really but the body is tired but no bad rot).

Agree Trav. One could run inexpensive filters like your Mann, Fram EG and my just recently purchased Premium Plus for $2 and still reach 300K.

I get a kick out of folks that pay close to $10 - then get rid of the vehicle prematurely by (hypothetically) 100-150K.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It isn't going to be any different at all and they cant prove otherwise. These guys keep harping endlessly on 20 microns but then say its particles under 20 microns that do the most damage.
I just serviced a 2000 Jetta with the same Mann filter # it has used since new and the same 0w40. compression is good, leak down is good and it has 291K on the original engine. The car is falling apart around the engine (not really but the body is tired but no bad rot).

The MC filters I have used for years now have served my engines very well. In the last 40 years I have not had an engine EVER show signs of wear.

I do put quality air filters in sometimes before the scheduled time/miles and make sure there are no air/pcv leaks.
IMO that will reduce engine wear a lot more than any oil filter. Its been quite a few years that my ridge reamer got a good workout.

For the guys who like efficiency ... if a filter is very efficient at 20 microns then it's still pretty good below 20 microns - unlike an inefficient filter at 20 microns. Filters have an efficiency vs particle size curve, so what's going on below 20 microns is also important.

The industry typically chooses the 20 micron data point to express efficiency, unless it's not good at 20 microns, then they choose "99%" at whatever micron level that equates to.

So what percentage of 2-15 micron particles does it filter vs others? A real amount please not better than others or a good amount. LOL

So what percentage of 2-15 micron particles does it filter vs others? A real amount please not better than others or a good amount. LOL

What filter are you talking about? If it's the Ultra, it's been said many times by Motorking that it's 80% @ 5 microns. Purolator once gave the efficiency of their old yellow PureOne at sizes below 20 microns, and said it was 50% @ 5 microns. Plenty of old threads around showing that information. Most filters that are rated at 99% @ 20 microns are also going to be pretty good at filtering down to 5 microns.

What do you think the efficiency is at 5 microns if a filter comes in at 50% at 20 microns? The efficiency curve says a filter that's 50% @ 20 microns isn't going to be real good at filtering 5 microns.

It really doesn't matter if 20% or 50% get past it does it. It still gets past it to do damage if there were even any to begin with.
So much for clean oil as you claimed in another thread, if the filter is allowing 20% of the damaging particles through you can hardly call that clean.
Hypothetical how many 5 micron particles out of 100 are enough to do damage and to what extent, 10? 20? 50?? Prove it makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back