Kohler Oil Filter Alternatives?

I like to make sure I get 3614 type filters with a quality silicone anti-drain back valve. I find that if I don't, since it might go weeks without being started, the oil will often drain from the filter back into the sump and read high the next time I use the mower. It can't be great for the motor to have to refill an oversized filter at every cold startup.
Which is why I caution those who want to put an even larger PH3600 sized filter on a small engine.

I can’t remember the YouTube channel, but the outdoor power equipment guy with bad teeth has a video of how the wrong filter can ruin a Kohler engine.

Yeah I saw that video, the issue was that specific Kohler engine has an odd oil filter set up with a stand pipe on the filter mount. The wrong filter will cause the standpipe to seat inside the filter and cut off any oil flow, ruining the engine.

OP is there room for a slightly longer filter? If not an AC Delco PF2210 from Amazon will fit perfectly. If there is room for a slightly longer filter, a Fram PH3614 is a great replacement as well.

Teryl Dactyl? He also has a video where he talks about how oil filters are really unnecessary on small engines.
On a broken in engine, if you change the oil very often then a filter (or filter efficiency) becomes less important. Only two ways to remove contaminated oil: 1) Filter it well, or 2) Dump the sump ... or do 1) + 2).

Ya'll know his teeth and hair are stage props, right? Kind of a weird shtick but it's a channel gimmick.
Hi Ripcord,
I'd say extremely weird. He's probably a wealth of knowledge on small engines but sadly it gets diminished with the shtick. Wish he'd just be himself.

Back