What's the smallest filtering oil filter on the market?

I know this is a bit of a moving target.
I'm looking for the highest efficiency oil, the smallest particle size filter on the market that I can get in 11/16-16 thread.
I'm going to add a bypass oil filter to my yanmar diesel generator. It didn't come with a filter but I have seen factory installed bypass filters installed on older versions of my engine.
It will be a bypass filter and will only need to flow about 1 quart per minute.
I'll be looking for the biggest filter I can get for my money, 11/16-16 threads, no bypass and just run it till it clogs.
I think I have it narrowed down to:
Fram ultra synthetic
Royal purple
The highest level puralator, that I can't think of the name of at the moment.
There's a Baldwin hydraulic filter I could use that I know is rated for 10 microns, but it has a built in bypass.

I'm looking for the highest efficiency oil, the smallest particle size filter on the market that I can get in 11/16-16 thread.
I'm going to add a bypass oil filter to my yanmar diesel generator. It didn't come with a filter but I have seen factory installed bypass filters installed on older versions of my engine.
I'll be looking for the biggest filter I can get for my money, 11/16-16 threads, no bypass and just run it till it clogs.
Fram ultra synthetic
Royal purple
There's a Baldwin hydraulic filter I could use that I know is rated for 10 microns, but it has a built in bypass.

Wow, you have been on this Forum since 2005, and you are asking this question!

I will give you an answer!
Highest efficiency oil, send a PM to 1 of the Moderators here, they will answer your question.
As far as the question you are asking about oil filters, that is a toss up, I can tell you who you should ask, but since you have been here since 2005 you know who to ask!

A bypass valve wouldn't be a bad thing. The filter would have to be pretty clogged for the bypass valve to open since the flow rate will be so low. Without a bypass, the filter dP could approach full engine oil pressure when it's clogged, which could damage the filter or push trapped contaminant out of the media.

I'd go with the Baldwin filter. Which model is it?

Fram ultra synthetic
Royal purple
Unless you're going to run an ISO tested referenced filter for efficiency on the box or Purolator I'm not sure we can answer the question w/certainty.

A bypass valve wouldn't be a bad thing. The filter would have to be pretty clogged for the bypass valve to open since the flow rate will be so low. Without a bypass, the filter dP could approach full engine oil pressure when it's clogged, which could damage the filter or push trapped contaminant out of the media.

I'd go with the Baldwin filter. Which model is it?
Bt-344s, bypass is 20 to 22psid.

Wow, you have been on this Forum since 2005, and you are asking this question!

I will give you an answer!
Highest efficiency oil, send a PM to 1 of the Moderators here, they will answer your question.
As far as the question you are asking about oil filters, that is a toss up, I can tell you who you should ask, but since you have been here since 2005 you know who to ask!
Ya and answer would have been different in 2005, 2010, 2015, 2019, 2020 and 2023.

Bt-344s, bypass is 20 to 22psid.
That filter has a 13/16-16 thread, not 11/16 as you mentioned in your first post. It's also only 50% efficient at 10 micron, and 99% efficient at 27 micron, so probably worse than a FRAM Ultra.

Assuming 13/16-16 is the proper thread size, Donaldson has some extremely efficient hydraulic filters that should work.

Donaldson P551324:
Efficiency Beta 2 (50%)1 micron
Efficiency Beta 1000 (99.9%)23 micron
Bypass ValveYes
Bypass Valve Setting LR20 psi (1.4 bar)

Donaldson P550486:
Efficiency Beta 2 (50%)5 micron
Efficiency Beta 1000 (99.9%)24 micron
Bypass ValveYes
Bypass Valve Setting LR35 psi (2.4 bar)

The filter rated at 50% efficiency at 1 micron would probably capture a lot of soot and clog really quickly. If you want a less efficient filter that won't clog as quickly, there's the DBL0832, which is a full-flow engine oil filter rated 97.5% at 15 micron, 90% at 10 micron.

The filter rated at 50% efficiency at 1 micron would probably capture a lot of soot and clog really quickly. If you want a less efficient filter that won't clog as quickly, there's the DBL0832, which is a full-flow engine oil filter rated 97.5% at 15 micron, 90% at 10 micron.
He's going to be using it as a bypass filter with a low flow volume going through it, so it would take a very long time to load it up. OP stated: "It will be a bypass filter and will only need to flow about 1 quart per minute."

If concerned about the level of loading, maybe the dP should be measured across it to get the most out of it possible. Or just swap it out every 2 or 3 years - or X hours of run time since it's on a generator. I doubt it would be very loaded in that time given the flow through it would be very low. And just how dirty is that engine? Probably not much. And how many hours a year will this generator be ran?

He's going to be using it as a bypass filter with a low flow volume going through it, so it would take a very long time to load it up. OP stated: "It will be a bypass filter and will only need to flow about 1 quart per minute."

If concerned about the level of loading, maybe the dP should be measured across it to get the most out of it possible. Or just swap it out every 2 or 3 years - or X hours of run time since it's on a generator. I doubt it would be very loaded in that time given the flow through it would be very low. And just how dirty is that engine? Probably not much. And how many hours a year will this generator be ran?
I still got a few of those psid indicators.
Putting them to work on a system using a regular car oil filter won't work well as the indicator just starts reading at 5psid and a typical car oil filter can start bypassing at as little as 7psid.
A hydraulic filter starts bypassing at 20psid, at 20psid my filter pressure differential indicator is in the red.

That filter has a 13/16-16 thread, not 11/16 as you mentioned in your first post. It's also only 50% efficient at 10 micron, and 99% efficient at 27 micron, so probably worse than a FRAM Ultra.

Assuming 13/16-16 is the proper thread size, Donaldson has some extremely efficient hydraulic filters that should work.

Donaldson P551324:
Efficiency Beta 2 (50%)1 micron
Efficiency Beta 1000 (99.9%)23 micron
Bypass ValveYes
Bypass Valve Setting LR20 psi (1.4 bar)

Donaldson P550486:
Efficiency Beta 2 (50%)5 micron
Efficiency Beta 1000 (99.9%)24 micron
Bypass ValveYes
Bypass Valve Setting LR35 psi (2.4 bar)

Crap my bad I said 11/16, it's definitely 13/16.
I didn't know those filters did 50% @ 1mu I looked at Donaldson but I didn't find that. I'm pretty sure I looked at that filter but ruled it out lacking that information.

I think you found my next bypass oil filter, thank you.

Last edited:
Post up some photos of the setup once you get it configured. Would be interesting to see.

Back