wix or subaru oem

No, you won. :) gudentyte on the XVForum has been running one for a few months now too. He PM'd me over there asking me a couple questions. It took care of his start-up noises too.

This is right after he installed it:

When I asked him not too long ago if he still had it installed and how he likes it.
That’s awesome. I was able to find it on sale on summitracing for $233, free shipping (savings of about $50 from baxters official site) so I added in an $60 AEM dryflow lifetime airbox filter and a couple Hengst cabin air filters, added a coupon code I found online, total shipped $316 - still cheaper than just the adapter at Baxter. Thankful for a good deal. I will be sure to thank you again when I get it set up and am able to try it out!

I’m not sure I’m understanding what the shearer valve is - does it just receive a regular air chuck from a compressor? I know a decent bit about a lot of things - the official names for stuff is not one of my strong suits!

I’m not sure I’m understanding what the shearer valve is - does it just receive a regular air chuck from a compressor?

yes, it's a Schrader valve (like what you have on your car/bike tires). You need to apply some air pressure to it to evacuate the oil from filter before spinning it off, otherwise you WILL have a mess to clean up.

I'm still interested in where you read a connection between ILSAC oils and ethanol, do you have any links?
Sorry I’m in the midst of a busy weekend and haven’t had a chance to go through my browsing history to find it for you. I did say I’m per sure it was in a video from “the motor oil geek” titled something about euro oil in American cars.

Just took about fifteen minutes trying to find it and I can’t seem to… I’m not sure you understood why I mentioned it in the first place, so I’ll say again - I saw it in a video or an article (can’t remember!) in the vast amount of research on oils in the last week or so, and it confused/peaked my curiosity so I mentioned it here assuming the BITOG team would know more about its efficacy or not! I have no idea if ethanol fuel is not compatible with European oils or not, that is why I referenced it as an inquisition.

Last edited:
yes, it's a Schrader valve (like what you have on your car/bike tires). You need to apply some air pressure to it to evacuate the oil from filter before spinning it off, otherwise you WILL have a mess to clean up.
Gotcha, that might be a tad annoying but it’s worth it. Have you yet tried poking a hole in the top of the filter to let down pressure as some mentioned in curiosity?

I’ve been annoyed for the past 19,800 miles by the start up clatter, every time it makes me wince that something is wearing prematurely. Even if it is only for a couple seconds, it’s a couple seconds unacceptable to me. If this Baxter adapter really fixes that, I imagine it’s going to be quite worthwhile to me.

No concerns with this mod playing any part in some potential excessive pressure in the crankcase? I’m slightly paranoid that the one way valve could gum up or freeze or other issue in which excessive pressure may blow a main engine seal or so forth… granted I’m not sitting here thinking it through too heavily as I’m on the move with a lot going on this weekend… any reassurance appreciated!

Have you yet tried poking a hole in the top of the filter to let down pressure as some mentioned in curiosity?

No, that won't work, as the gravity flow from the oil will not be able to get past the anti-siphon valve in the adapter. All you need it a very little bit of air pressure. I use like 10psi, but even less will work.

No concerns with this mod playing any part in some potential excessive pressure in the crankcase? I’m slightly paranoid that the one way valve could gum up or freeze or other issue in which excessive pressure may blow a main engine seal or so forth

nope, not at all. It's really just an anti-siphon valve. There are oil filters out there (not for our cars) that have both anti-siphon and anti-drain back valves. If they made one for our cars we wouldn't need this adapter to keep the oil in the filter. The anti-siphon valve part is actually easy to remove from the adapter and inspect with the filter off. I actually do that every oil change. One just needs to make sure to screw it back on the same way, as if you reverse it then you will have major issues, as the valve would be blocking oil flow to the motor. You'll see when you get it. The anti-siphon valve itself is integrated into the threaded nipple. One end of the nipple screws into the adapter and the other end accepts the oil filter. This nipple just unscrews from the adapter.

No, that won't work, as the gravity flow from the oil will not be able to get past the anti-siphon valve in the adapter. All you need it a very little bit of air pressure. I use like 10psi, but even less will work.

nope, not at all. It's really just an anti-siphon valve. There are oil filters out there (not for our cars) that have both anti-siphon and anti-drain back valves. If they made one for our cars we wouldn't need this adapter to keep the oil in the filter. The anti-siphon valve part is actually easy to remove from the adapter and inspect with the filter off. I actually do that every oil change. One just needs to make sure to screw it back on the same way, as if you reverse it then you will have major issues, as the valve would be blocking oil flow to the motor. You'll see when you get it. The anti-siphon valve itself is integrated into the threaded nipple. One end of the nipple screws into the adapter and the other end accepts the oil filter. This nipple just unscrews from the adapter.
Oh wow, that sounds much better than how it seemed at first.

I desperately tried to find oil filters with anti siphon valves in them, and there was a thread on here from two years ago where a guy who doesn’t own a Subaru tried to explain and gave some part numbers, citing a blue KIA filter that supposedly fits the Subarus, but without any specs as to bypass rating or flow rate which kinda concerned me to slap it on my car without knowing its compatibility beyond a m20 thread and acceptable diameter. I wish I could have found filters that would work, containing anti siphon valves, but I drove myself nuts for two days in my free time trying to figure it out to no avail. So, here ya go Baxter, take my money, lol.

Side note, I even tried to figure out if it was safe/possible to make my own 3” nipple stand pipe for the oil filter mount plate so that it would just go up inside whatever filter I used, but that was also inconclusive and I wonder about flow restriction etc… at least if Baxter frigs up my engine I can pursue compensation legally or informally I assume. Doing my own thing is all on my shoulders, lol.

@JRHAWK9 also, my dude, congrats on still being active on this forum for 21 years (in two weeks anyhow)…. That’s insane. Props.

LOL. Thanks. yeah, I was dormant for a long time up until recently and never really contributed all that much. Don't take my longevity as knowledge, as I am a newbie when it comes to knowledge compared to some others on here. Back in the early 2000-10's, there were some very knowledgeable people on here....some of them still are, but it seems lots of them are no longer or maybe just not as active.

LOL. Thanks. yeah, I was dormant for a long time up until recently and never really contributed all that much. Don't take my longevity as knowledge, as I am a newbie when it comes to knowledge compared to some others on here. Back in the early 2000-10's, there were some very knowledgeable people on here....some of them still are, but it seems lots of them are no longer or maybe just not as active.
Well, as you’ve been here a lot longer than I have - what’s your recommended oil filter? I’m using the six 57055 after research and tips here when I bought the car in December 2021. I bought a case of 12, no complaints, got 9 left. Should I stick with it or switch to something better?

Will be using recently purchased valvoline advanced 5w30 for most of the year, and M1 AFE 0w30 in the winters.

what’s your recommended oil filter?

I bought my Baxter before they switched the nipple to accept the OEM sized filters. I have a M22x1.5 nipple (vs the M20x1.5 that the new ones have to accept the OEM sized filter). So I'm running a larger filter than OEM. I use a Fram Titanium FS10575. It's the same filter my other halves' Acadia uses, so that allowed me to buy 7 cases of them that I found on eBay for a good price. It's the older style that has the mesh before they recently changed things.

I bought my Baxter before they switched the nipple to accept the OEM sized filters. I have a M22x1.5 nipple (vs the M20x1.5 that the new ones have to accept the OEM sized filter). So I'm running a larger filter than OEM. I use a Fram Titanium FS10575. It's the same filter my other halves' Acadia uses, so that allowed me to buy 7 cases of them that I found on eBay for a good price. It's the older style that has the mesh before they recently changed things.
Oh oh gotcha. I hope the model I got is the m20 so I can use my OE size filters or the purolator one when I use up the Wix. It’s part number on summit racing is “BXP-SS-102-BK” and I’m not sure how to tell the old from the new adapter, lol.

Back