What is the best investment you ever made?

About 12 years ago I got a 1/16 scale model of a 1975 Chevy C-65 flatbed made by Highway 61. It's very detailed, but nothing crazy, and I remember it being less than $100 brand new in the box. Apparently they didn't make many and the farm collectible people went nuts. Now there's one on eBay for $675. I should have taken better care of mine..paint is good, but it was on the fireplace mantle in my college house for years because I had no idea, and stuff like the tie down chains are missing and it's been dusty..and I think the box is at my parents' house, but I'm not sure. It had a cheap $20 Maisto Jeep Wrangler sitting on the back for years. Currently it lives in a glass case at work (Chevy dealer).

https://m.ebay.com/itm/DCP-1-16-HIGHWAY-61-1975-RED-CHEVROLET-C65-IH-HEAVY-DUTY-FLATBED-TRUCK/272977596764?hash=item3f8ebb915c:g:z5oAAOSwK~RaLbqD

Last edited:
Checked on another diecast car I have and its value has gone up too...1/18 scale Auto Art Grand Wagoneer. I bought mine for $120, now in the high $600s on eBay. What the [censored]?
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Autoart-1-18-JEEP-Wagoneer/302687947260?hash=item46799b89fc:g:FDIAAOSwqM1Ymuoc&_trkparms=gclientid%3D18ZRRqk3DUwBEzN8TytMIesQDaNptQle0pAoinNBfgCbULEuIRJQk42LQWYFGmMu&_trksid=p2489528.m4335.l8656

I just got them because they looked neat. I took care of the Grand Wagoneer.. might be time to eBay that thing.

The paint and fabric protection I paid 650 dollars for on our 2004 Honda civic... No wait that's in the junkyard now.

Best investment was our houses. Including one someone told me I was crazy for buying and then told me I was crazy to sell it. We sold it a few years before the bubble burst.

The fact that I got into home ownership at 21 years old and put my time and energy into working and making money vs drinking and partying, my wife has the same values. It allowed us to save good down payments on our houses and people wonder how we did it. Nobody gave us anything, it was all thru hard work and its still paying dividends to this day.

We have a 3000sf house on 5 acres and our mortgage/taxes/insurance is less than a one bedroom apartment in a very affordable area.

People wonder how we do it. I am not bragging, but its simple, most wont make the sacrifices necessary when they are younger to make it happen.

My back is sore, I am tired, maybe I missed out on many things in life, probably, I don't know. But I can sleep good at night and we are doing what many say cant be done.

Our house now is probably worth 50k to 75k more than we bought it for, but we have put about 36k into it over the past 11 years and that amount is still climbing.

For me it was tax deferred annuities. I invested heavily in them from the early 80's, until I retired at 62, 3-1/2 years ago. I was able to lock in high interest rates, compared to the garbage they're paying now. And today I've got more money coming in every month then when I was working. It will last until long after I'm gone. And the tax rate is virtually nil. Between them, and paying off my house back in 1985, it's been a really nice ride. Now I only hope and pray I stay healthy to enjoy it all.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Spent it all on women, horses, gambling, and whiskey – and the rest I spent foolishly.

Not really.

The modern version of that would be hookers and blow. The rest was wasted.

I put a LOT of time and $$$$$ into myself, LOL. The investment value is questionable according to many. I think I made a positive influence on many college students (and others), so maybe an o.k. investment?

Like many, my 401K and Roth is the correct answer, as long as this Monopoly money actually comes to fruition.

My rental business.
House.
401K. - Apple Stock.
Solar for pool heat.

rare and desirable bottles of scotch whisky. it is amongst the safest, lowest risk investment. the only things you need are money, time and knowledge. and a secure safe place to store your bottles. rare scotch is liquid gold.

rare and desirable bottles of scotch whisky. it is amongst the safest, lowest risk investment. the only things you need are money, time and knowledge. and a secure safe place to store your bottles. rare scotch is liquid gold.
Some folks that worked with a friend of mine found out that he liked bourbon and bought him rare bottles for Christmas each year going back a while. He drank some saved most. Told me they're worth a lot of money now.

ARM stocks before Softbank bought it, 10X in 15 years. My house (primary home), 2x in 15 years. My AMD stock, 5x in the last 10 years. My DDR3 ram, used for 10 years, made 10% when I sold it used.

Back