What is the best investment you ever made?

Best investment for me was time, over 30 years of active duty Army provides a decent pension,still should get about 1800 in SS, maybe a bit more if I can hold off till age 70. chances are I will just go ahead and take it at about age 66-67 even if it means getting a bit less. have some Roth mutual fund IRA's but those took a good hit back in 07-08. If we lived in LA or NY we would probably be homeless, but can live at least on the lower rungs of middle class here in Nebraska.Even able to dump about $500 per month in the IRA. Not rich, but own a modest small home about $155K last tax assesment. I do not really look at house as investment.. since one has to pay to live somewhere. even when house is paid off still have property tax which tnd to go up every year. Best investment was that I stuck something out for many years that has a pension. Came close to not re enlisting a couple of times but glad I stuck it out.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
I have a house in Los Gatos, CA (Silicon Valley). Paid $330K in 1995 I believe.
Today $2.5M; would sell in 3 days.
Expected to go up 20% in the next year.

2.5 to 3 million would get you an absolutely beautiful brand new mansion around here... like 15K square feet on 10 acres. And no state income tax. I'd sell that house and MOVE! Or a new 8K square foot house on the ocean with a million dollar view.

That’s why lots of people retire to Florida and stretch their money while living very comfortably. No ice and snow also helps make that move.

My house, bought in 2004, still living in it but my last appraisal was @ + 335%.

Have done decent with investing, had one stock that I held on to for about six years that never appreciated, so I sold it. Based on what I could have invested that money in (index fund) that is a paper loss of about 75%. But that is the only stock investment I've ever made that lost money, my long terms average about 9% a year.

For short term I once bought a stock for a company that was already wound down, but still was trading because there was a lawsuit over the pension money, so the receivers hadn't finalized the dissolution.

The final (superior court) ruling was due in a few days, so I bought a few thousand shares @ $2.00/share. The gamble paid off, the company was awarded the money in the pension fund, and I was paid a dividend of $2.50 a share a month later.

Then the IP of the company remained as a final asset, another aircraft company bought that and I was forced to accept their offer of $4.00/share (once they have enough shares, they can force the remaining stockholders to sell. I held out but at 90% I had to accept their offer).

All that happened over a period of about 8 months, so my $2.00/share investment paid $2.50 dividend income and $4.00 of Capital Gains taxable income.
Then I made money on the tax side.

As Canada does not double-tax dividends (because they come from tax paid income) and because the calculation involves both adding the income from dividends and subtracting a tax credit, if your dividend income is below about $32,000/yr (mine easily was) you end up with a refundable tax credit. I can't remember how much that was but probably worked out to another $0.50 a share.

Then the $4.00 is taxable as a Capital Gain but you have a $750,000 lifetime exemption and I was well below that, so tax free. Had I paid Capital Gains on it it, half is exempt and half is added to your total income. Because your principal residence (the house you live in) is exempt from Capital Gains, I probably will never reach my exemption limit.

So, Paid $2.00 and earned (about) $3.00 in dividends and $4.00 (+$2.00) in stock return, total $5.00 net on a $2.00 investment.

Ended up about $20K in my pocket, after tax, over 8 months

Note: The pension dispute was between the union and the company over money made investing the pension money over a few decades versus the defined benefit the employees were entitled to. Nobody got stiffed for a pension.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
I have a house in Los Gatos, CA (Silicon Valley). Paid $330K in 1995 I believe.
Today $2.5M; would sell in 3 days.
Expected to go up 20% in the next year.

2.5 to 3 million would get you an absolutely beautiful brand new mansion around here... like 15K square feet on 10 acres. And no state income tax. I'd sell that house and MOVE! Or a new 8K square foot house on the ocean with a million dollar view.

That’s why lots of people retire to Florida and stretch their money while living very comfortably. No ice and snow also helps make that move.

Actually, the best investment was to live and work in Silicon Valley. Gorgeous weather. So much opportunity!
There is so much going on here.
Just so you know, I've made so many mistakes.
Joined AA at 33; 1st degree at 40 (now I have 3).
Stock options...
I am one of the lucky ones...

I would have to say that the G.I. Bill was the best investment I ever made in my life.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
In early 2009 I put all the cash I had into some mutual funds, so that modest sum is now quite a few modest sums!

Me in 10/08. S&P index was around 1050 then, is 170% better now.

I see a lot of people refer to their house as a good investment.
I understand you can buy a house and its value double....mine has also.

But do you subtract the amount you paid in taxes and insurance?
Those two are 65-70% of my house payment.

Originally Posted By: DGXR
Quality time spent with good friends. Cannot be bought at any price.

Winner!!!

Back