How to interview and hire the right Realtor

I see there are lots of questions here about Realtors, both good an bad. I thought I'd share my opinions of Residential Realtors and how to pick the right ones. This is not all inclusive, just my random thoughts after reading some of the posts here.

My background is 37 years in the industry. I once owned a very large franchise that I built from nothing into over 90 agents. I sold it off during a divorce and went the commercial route and have never looked back since. I am a CCIM designee, look it up if you want.

First, this will be limited to residential agents ONLY.

Most are not full time, heavily involved full time agents. No disrepect towards anyone but if the agent you are interviewing ponly does this on the side, save yourself tha aggrivation and move on.

All commissions are negotiable, whatever the customary rate in your area is, it is what it is. As Realtors, we can not fix that rate. typiclly the seller pays the buy side commision too but even that is being looked at.

Commissions are not added on top of the value of the house. This is a major misconception and at the heart of the NAR lawsuite. As all areas have a similiar fee based sales structure, commissins are part of the cost of home ownership.

Interview several agents to list your property. You need to see a list of what they have sold in your immediate area, not on the other side of town. A really good agent will be a neighborhood expert, not a State of Florida or where ever expert.

Ask them how they intend to market your property and get a written marketing plan. If the 1st thing on their list is advertising on Face Book, ask them to leave. Open houses do work and they are not just for the weekends. Sending out direct mail works, making phone calls work too. They best thing a great agent has going for them is their reputation and being able to send out emails to their peers and stating, look at this new listing, when would you like to see it?

Every single listing that is entered into any MLS (multiple listing service) will be made available on Realtor dot com and hundreds of other re-seller sites, that includes Zillow. There is no advantage given any agency in that reguard. Meaning a franchise does not get priority over a botique brokerage. The MLS is basically an employment contract for the buyers agent. It means that they will be paid $XXXXX if they bring a buyer.

Make the agent give you a CMA and make them explain that to you. Pie in the sky pricing sometimes works but most of the time it does not. Stick to their suggestions if the data they provide is accurate. You want to hire someone that will actively market your property in ways that every single other agent will not do. That includes local media, open houses, fliers, etc.

Ask them what percentage of list price they obtain with their sold listings. Meaning, can they stick to their guns with the value they recommend or will they just fold up like a cheap tent and not work hard to get you the best price. Remember, a great agent knows that the higher the sales price, the more they make.

I would also see how often they answer the phone. Yes, 99% of this business is answering the GD phone! If you call and it always goes to VM, that tells me they are not really working in real estate.

A great agent will handle the entire transaction for you which will included scheduling of inspections, appraisals and closings. You are not required to use who they recommend but don't be too quick to dismiss them either. I have used the same attorney to handle my closings for over 25 years because he alwyas does a great job.

Lastly, be patient and ask for feedback after every listing. If you routinely get that its over priced or that it needs specifi repairs, do so.

TH

Get a qualified attorney. Sell the house yourself. Save mucho dinero.

There are services that will list your house on the MLS in a lot of areas, this is critical. You'd also need to hire a professional photographer that has experience taking pictures for listings...and have sense to declutter, neutralize the decor and properly stage the home. Listing realtors do bring a lot of value, but I think it is something some can DIY.

Guy down the street tried FSBO, of course it sat until he listed it with a realtor. They're tearing the house down now, guy probably thought he had some prize on his hands meanwhile it was one of the most hideous houses in the neighborhood.

We have realtors in this area, that if your house isn't at least 95% a nice as a new one, the realtor will require you to use their hand-picked contractors. This is on a list that is handed to you (to get it up to the realtor's expectations....) or they're not interested in listing your house.

Here it sells no matter what it looks like or the condition. Forget all the drama and make sure you have another place to go...it's that quick.
My two nieces both sold their houses in one day. My nephew bought one the first day it was listed. Some day it will end but not right now. No inventory at present.

Great post Tim...thanks.

There are corporations that are actively seeking properties in areas if the investment is feasible as a rental property for a long term investment/profit. Staging is secondary and they don't care about current interest rates as they are cash buyers. Hot markets in many areas of the country due to a housing shortage. Before interest rates headed up, homes in my area would display the for sale sign and sold placard at the same time almost without exception. I suspect we are heading back there if the fed eases rates. I have nothing against someone using a realtor if it serves their needs. I do have a problem giving anyone 6-7% of many hundreds of thousands of dollars for the convenience of sitting at a table with the closing people and shuttling paperwork from them to me across the table. Cut out this money sucking middleman unless really needed.

If you are looking to sell a piece of property, DO NOT USE A BROKER to list it. Do not use a "part timer" to list it. Use someone that knows what they are doing.

If you are buying, do not use a green agent. Do not use a Broker. Do not use one that "knows everyone".... they probably play golf or checkers with the seller's agent.... You want a BULLDOG for a buyer's agent. Not a pansy, not a "nice person".

If you are selling a house, ask your realtor what happens if you find the buyer.

I'm going to list my home on the $250 MLS DIY service.

It's OK if you do not see the value in a Realtors services. I will not try to convince you other wise but how do you know if you're getting top dollar? Do you guess? Do you know the process? My point regarding MLS is that MLS in todays market means absolutley nothing. I don't use MLS in my business at all. You need someone with a plan of where the buyers might come from and then be able to reach that buyer pool. The day's of lazy agents sticking a sign in the yard and putting it in MLS are behind us.

The risk of going FSBO is that most sucessful agents will not touch your deal because it puts the liability all on them. They are the 'professional' and as such we are then required to take on the liability of instructing a seller when they are doing something stupid.

In the commercial world, selling compensation is a cost of sales, ie is a write down of the asset so its never a big deal, however, I can promise you that any agent worth having will make up his/her commisions in increased sales price and services.

I'm not sure about the do not use a broker. In most states the broker is the person in charge, however, I use the term loosely as I agree not all brokers know what the heck they're doing and a great seasoned agent in some cases is better than whoever they are working for.

I look at commsions like this. What ever you do to make a living is what you do. Realtors buy and sell properties, they deserve to be paid. You can be jealous of what they make but also understand that the average agent sells under $1M per year. Depending on the area that is 3 or 4 transactions. That commission to their company is approx $30,000 and if they are lucky the agent might get 60% of that, or $18,000. Consider that an average agent will drive many tire kickers around showing them properties that they can not possible afford or that they have no intentions on buying anyway because their brothers sister cousin also has a license.

TH

There are services that will list your house on the MLS in a lot of areas, this is critical. You'd also need to hire a professional photographer that has experience taking pictures for listings...and have sense to declutter, neutralize the decor and properly stage the home. Listing realtors do bring a lot of value, but I think it is something some can DIY.

Guy down the street tried FSBO, of course it sat until he listed it with a realtor. They're tearing the house down now, guy probably thought he had some prize on his hands meanwhile it was one of the most hideous houses in the neighborhood.

Any Google street view of this house ?

Consider that an average agent will drive many tire kickers around showing them properties that they can not possible afford or that they have no intentions on buying anyway because their brothers sister cousin also has a license.

TH

25 years ago my sister and her husband was looking at houses with an agent. They didn’t see anything they really liked, didn’t buy a home but still wrote the agent a $1000 check for all his time.

As a former 20 year + Real Estate Broker and "Realtor" in the Sacramento area, I can assure you that much of this entire topic will vary depending on which State we're talking about.

Ed

We always got good agents by finding one with many years of experience in that location, one that lived and breathed real estate and thus knew many of the goings on in that market. And lastly, one that is realistic with prices and doesn't pump up the value of the house you are trying to sell, nor tell you how cheap you can get a house you are interested in.

They also had to come off as business pros that with training could have owned and run a law firm, accounting or financial firm.

I do see a value in RE Agents, those that know their craft.

Those that do not fight for their client, who succumb to market "gossip" and all the other garbage that goes on in residential RE, they are the ones that everybody gets a bad taste about.

A good RE Agent will save your bacon.

You should also make your buyers agent provide you a CMA of the price you want to offer, don't just take a listings agents word or their as to the value.

TH

Back