What Is Everyones Favorite Brand Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OilProfessor
The Professor prefers Shell Nitrogen-enriched fuel.

Glad to see you're back.

Originally Posted By: 91344George
Originally Posted By: OilProfessor
The Professor prefers Shell Nitrogen-enriched fuel.

Glad to see you're back.

He isn't. He got banned in another thread.

I stick to 7-11, primarily since it's the closest gas station to my house (about 0.3 miles), and the label states "contains less than 10% ethanol", rather than something like "contains 10% ethanol". Never had any fuel-related problem with any brand of gas, though.

Mobil because I have their card and Speedpass which give me $0.15 off per gallon, making them usually the cheapest even though the list price tends to be higher. Plus, I do think the gas tends to be cleaner because the stations are better maintained. The pumps seem to be better maintained so that it is possible to carefully control the flow when filling up my motorcycles. Maybe I'm wrong, but if the pump, hose, and nozzle seem to be clean and well maintained it gives me more confidence that the filters and tanks are clean too.

I use Sunoco and Hess in my area. They are both in my general driving area and usually some of the best prices around. I'd have to drive much further just to save 2 cents/gallon. And I have used any gas when out of town. I shop by price(sort'a) and have never noticed any performance differences with any of the fuels that I have used in the last 3-4 decades(since EFI). What I do notice is the differences in outside tempuratures, humidy, pressurs(so to speak).

I do notice some MPG benefits in one of my vehicles using 93 octane but, that's all!

Years ago, I'd notice differences in fuels(knocking/pinging and loss of power) from station to station & grade to grade but, not today!

Last edited:
I recently switched to Chevron when I noticed that they were price competitive with Quik Trip.

I've been using QT and Shell exclusively, but when another Top Tier gasoline becomes price competitive, I figured I would give them a shot.

My gas mileage went down from a 23.X average to 20mpg. Figured it was just the change in the weather, pumping from a different pump, etc... But several tankfulls and it was still down at 20mpg.

Switched back to QT and it went immediately back up to 22mpg average. I figure another tank and I should have most of the Chevron fuel out and we'll see if I'm back up to my previous average.

I don't know why. Maybe more ethanol in the Chevron?
21.gif
It didn't run poorly. Felt absolutely the same. Just didn't do as well on gas mileage.

Back in the MMT days, Chevron gas would stain my carbs floats, float bowls, and plugs redder than any other gasoline. But my bike always ran well on it.

In the truck recently ive been using QT. Most of the time its Shell or Chevron. The CRV gets race track. Both gets doses of FP60 Plus.

QT when I do Top Tier, with occasional use of Costco. QuikTrip owns the St. Louis market, other brands cut as soon as they do then gradually follow them up. Costco's price savings is from three to fifteen cents a gallon. The St. Louis market is like no other, generally all major brands will just peg to QT. Think the AG was actually looking into it as price fixing, but nothing came of it. I'm sure without QuikTrip in the market we'd all be paying much more than $3 per gallon.

Exclusively Chevron for over 15 years. I DID find a Conoco recently that didn't add Ethanol but they are now forced to so it will be back to Chevron. I think even though it costs more it saves problems down the road as far as repairs are concerned.

My favorite gas is the one I can get the cheapest. Seeing Top Tier stations in the area getting drops from tankers with no name on the side in the middle of the night taught me something. I learned by seeing the same tanker dumping gas to a no name station down the road. That has me believing there is no such thing as top tier gas, [at least in my area] so brand loyalty went out the window for me.

Then talking to a guy from the Village here that makes sure gas stations are actually pumping a gallon of gas and selling high test gas to those paying for it, confirmed my suspicions. Lots of stations here were fined for pumping regular out of high test pumps. I hope that's the exception and not the norm, but now I buy gas based on price and nothing else. JMO

When I was getting 5% back with my Citi Shell Card, it was Shell. They cut back on the rewards so....

Now have a Chase BP card getting 5% back, and it's now BP. Low price combined with cash back is what it's all about for me.

And, both Shell and BP gas is very price competitive in this area.

Favorite? Don't have one or really care what brand. In my area Valero is on every corner and very little else to choose from so....Valero.

I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated.

While the gas itself is generally the same the ADDITIVES are NOT and can vary greatly.

Like another poster mentioned a tanker can hold several cells with different blends of additives for each station they drop at.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Mobil and Phillips66 are the only two Top Tier stations in my area. But I also like Sunoco and Noco as well...

I think I meant "76."
smile.gif

Shell is the only gas I buy locally. When we road trip I will buy Mobil any chance I get though. We just don't have any around us. Shell has been great for our vehicles though. I track every tank in a spreadsheet so I can see trends, etc.

Last edited:
There are both a Shell station and a BP station at the "bottom of the hill" by my house so I usually fill up at one or the other. Their prices are typically competitive with other stations...within a few cents anyway. For some reason, both cars seem to prefer the BP...slightly better mileage and seem to run smoother...go figure. Or it could just be the fact that the
BP station is nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back