Bad Gas

Hello ,this is my first posting here..Wayne Willson who I guess is the administrator suggested I post here and hopefully get some feedback..I purchased a new 2022 Yamaha FJR1300 and put 27,000 trouble free miles on it in about 18 months...20,000 of those miles on long trips with the other 7,000 done locally... after returning from a 5,000 mile trip with 3 friends (bike running great as usual) I parked the bike for a few days and then went to go for a ride. the bike wouldnt start so I had it towed to the yamaha dealer.the next day they called me and said that the bike had a catastrophic engine failure due to bad gasoline....20,000 of those miles were on trips so never filled up at the same station with 7,000 miles locally at the 3 stations in my area where I have filled up bikes and cars for 20+ years and 500,000 + gas issue free miles...does anyone feel gasoline could have been the cause of the engine failure? thxs in advance for your help/thoughts-Mitch

Pics of the engine and no tests were ever done of the black residue

Attachments

• 20231103_160510.jpg
    20231103_160510.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 20231103_160507.jpg
    20231103_160507.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 166
That doesn't make a ton of sense on the surface.

It doesn't make a gram of sense. The bike was running fine when parked and suffered a catastrophic failure sitting in the garage and wouldn't start?? I hate finger pointing but maybe it failed after being pinned on the rev limiter to clear it out after they got it started?

Looks like a bunch of rust? but the bores look mostly ok. That's a lot of odd junk on top of the pistons. Not sure what it could burn that would leave behind rust-looking garbage.

I wonder if some valves got open, junk collected on the seat, like what sometimes happens on a DI engine.

That said, what is "catastrophic"? I'm sure we can agree as to what is, but we'd like a bit more info than that. Snapped rod, hole in block, pictures of carnage. Not "its dead Jim", that isn't very descriptive.

Looks like a bunch of rust? but the bores look mostly ok. That's a lot of odd junk on top of the pistons. Not sure what it could burn that would leave behind rust-looking garbage.

I wonder if some valves got open, junk collected on the seat, like what sometimes happens on a DI engine.

That said, what is "catastrophic"? I'm sure we can agree as to what is, but we'd like a bit more info than that. Snapped rod, hole in block, pictures of carnage. Not "its dead Jim", that isn't very descriptive.
Coolant??

I am not a bike guy but something does not smell right. Bike ran fine and engine fails sitting still? No way. but more details would help.

What was the actual failure mode - specifically?

If you ran bad gas, or gas with too low of octane for an extended period you could get enough knock, etc to damage the engine, but you would feel it - lack of power and run like crap under power. It would also take a fairly long time - like several tanks I would think.

A single tank of really bad gas can ruin injectors in extreme cases - happened to my Dad, but not the internal engine parts.

We need to know more.

It wouldn't start after a few days? In my experience it takes a few years for gas to get so bad that an engine won't run. Unless this bike is carbureted (i doubt it) or you filled it with diesel, i don't see how fuel has anything to do with whatever broke. So what part broke? Where's the trashed rod, the bent valve, etc.

It doesn't make a gram of sense. The bike was running fine when parked and suffered a catastrophic failure sitting in the garage and wouldn't start?? I hate finger pointing but maybe it failed after being pinned on the rev limiter to clear it out after they got it started?
My first thoughts exactly. Gunna have to see those blown up parts too.

Back