Wet Spark Plug Threads?

TumblrDucks

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

I was doing my annual spark plug change and notice one of my four plugs had oil on threads, a first time for me. It is the plug closest to driver seat. Engine runs normal with no obvious oil consumption and coolant is clear. Coils are all dry. What could cause it & what does it imply regarding my engine?
This set of plug has mileage of 15k / one year on my car.

That's such a small amount of oil on threads I wouldn't be concerned with it. It is likely a very small amount of oil getting past rings or valve seals. The tip of the plug looks great. What is concerning is your facination with changing plugs so often. Those plugs could easily go and are designed to go another four or five years at your rate of driving.

View attachment 186327View attachment 186329View attachment 186330
I was doing my annual spark plug change and notice one of my four plugs had oil on threads, a first time for me. It is the plug closest to driver seat. Engine runs normal with no obvious oil consumption and coolant is clear. Coils are all dry. What could cause it & what does it imply regarding my engine?
This set of plug has mileage of 15k / one year on my car.
Is there a reason that the plugs are changed annually?🤔

For fun; Checking how well is the engine combustion; Practicing each step so I don't forget how to do it; Prepare for a long road trip.
At a certain point in a vehicle's age, messing with things that don't need it, can be more of a detriment than benefit, risking breaking wires/connectors/rubber/plastic/etc. In the rust belt, add fasteners and hard brake/fuel/etc lines to the list.

When I did the spark plug tube seals on the Lexus, I had to R&R the seals twice.

You know the rule of thumb with lip seals - the lip faces the liquid you're trying to exclude? Do it this way and you can't get the seals over the tubes. They go in backwards contrary to the rule of thumb. 🤪

Change them out. If I put them back then I need to buy new crush washers. New denso plug is $6 each on RA so not too costly. If it is $20 each I probably won't touch it for 60k mi.
You don't need new washers. Have been checking plugs for decades with no issues. Just tighten them properly and you're fine. Cars aren't like lawn mowers, they don't need a new plug every year. Nothing wrong with it though, it's your $. :)

Back