It never fails.... oil pan drain plug threads stripped out by mechanic.

If a "mechanic" is incapable of tightening / loosening an oil drain plug without damaging it, I shudder to think what other expensive blunders he's created for other customers that, "weren't his fault"?
Threads do wear out over time.

Took my 2004 Silverado in for a routine oil change and for diagnosis of a noise with one wheel. Since the disastrous series of Jasper engine replacement(s)... as in 3 different Jasper engines in this truck, I've had the mechanic do ALL of the oil changes on it. And when it costs $10 when I supply the oil and filter, why not?

And as I was standing there watching him remove the drain plug, he had to get on the wrench a bit... and then out come the threads for the oil pan with the drain plug. He has been the only guy who has loosened and tightened that plug since the engine was installed.

So... it appears that I now need a new oil pan. He refuses to do a Heli-Coil or anything like that. And here's the kicker... he doesn't feel that he's responsible for it at all... nor does the shop manager. Didn't even get as much as an apology. This is a shop that I've done business with for 20 plus years. Same guy has done ALL of the oil changes on it since Jasper engine #3 was installed in it.

He ended up putting an expandable rubber plug in it (like you use on a boat to keep it from sinking) and sent me on my way. I have zero confidence in something like that, so the truck is now parked until this can be fixed right. Before I left the shop manager starts advising me that it'll be 2.2 hours labor and $600 for an oil pan, but none of it is their responsibilty though.

The owner of the shop also refuses to accept any responsibility, as I can't prove that the mechanic did anything wrong. His defense is that it's a "wear item".

I ended up ordering a Spectra pan for $159 from Advance, as that is what Advance, O'Reilly's and AutoZone all sell in this area, along with a Fel-Pro pan gasket. I'm guessing that there's a gasket or two that I missed, need to research more tonight. Just wanted to get a pan on the way as soon as possible. Hoping that the Spectra is as good as any. 🤞

It's always something. Even when you think you have the bases covered... someone still screws it up for you royally.
I've never had that happen to any of my vehicles, or even any customer vehicles when I was an oil change guy. I think you just proved the "why not" have them do it. Just tell them that you don't agree that they didn't cause it and that you will not be returning or recommending them. If they make it right, then you could consider going back, otherwise don't go back. If they can strip the threads on the oil pan they're likely to do it on much more difficult items as well.

It happens quite regularly on Aluminum Oil Pans, especially Honda pans. The threads on the pan side are softer than the ones on the plug.
I can easily imagine a scenario on aluminum pans, where the drain plug has been over-tightened repeatedly by various shops to the point of near failure. Then one day, an unlucky oil change tech goes to tighten the drain plug, it strips the pan and the tech and the oil change shop get blamed, when the threads would have stripped regardless of who was doing the work.

It happens quite regularly on Aluminum Oil Pans, especially Honda pans. The threads on the pan side are softer than the ones on the plug.
Still shouldn't happen if you're using the right torque, but that doesn't always happen of course! But if a shop has done all the oil changes and likes to save time and not torque properly or use a new washer, then they are also on the hook for damage caused by that IMO...
I had old snowmobiles as a teenager and swapped plugs probably 200 times in that one sled, no stripped aluminum threads...

Just had a mechanic replace a flex disc and carrier because i was too lazy to do it myself, he wasn't a rocket scientist either. Had to redo everything myself.

Back