It never fails.... oil pan drain plug threads stripped out by mechanic.

How can the mechanic be sure you had not taken the vehicle to JL or changed the oil yourself? However if he wants your business he should of offered something. Like you bring in an oil pan and I will install it at no cost.

Other than the stack of receipts from me bringing the truck for them to change the oil every 3-4 months, to not jeopardize the Jasper warranty? They can look at the time and miles between every oil change, and easily determine that they were the only one.

I offered to supply a pan and gasket, and the shop install it at no cost. The owner wouldn't even consider that offer.

Actually, the owner of the shop said I was partially to blame for the failure of the the threads in the oil pan... becuase I was changing the oil "too often". Apparently, the idiot doesn't even realize what Jasper's warranty specifies.

Last edited:
Other than the stack of receipts from me bringing the truck for them to change the oil every 3-4 months, to not jeopardize the Jasper warranty? They can look at the time and miles between every oil change, and easily determine that they were the only one.

I offered to supply a pan and gasket, and the shop install it at no cost. The owner wouldn't even consider that offer.

Actually, the owner of the shop said I was partially to blame for the failure of the the threads in the oil pan... becuase I was changing the oil "too often". Apparently, the idiot doesn't even realize what Jasper's warranty specifies.

That is more than reasonable IMO.
The shop owner is being foolish at this point. Most likely a penny pincher that can’t see the bigger picture here.

Being long time customer means nothing . Been down that road a few times .
I had a shop fix a leak in a tire. They ended up replacing the valve stem and while they marked the tire they did not rebalance it when it was done. I noticed a lot of vibration. When I brought the truck back, he immediately noticed the vibration and balanced the tire which eliminated the vibration. No charge.

Being long time customer means nothing . Been down that road a few times .
Yeah. I understand they are in business to make money, but right is right.
There is a good place near me who treats me right. Not cheap but they are busy all the time.
It's hard to find mechanics looking for work around here. Lotta jobs, lotta opportunity.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. This is only one of the reasons that I use a Valvomax drain valve instead of a drain plug. No tools are required for oil drains and the original threads in the pan are never in jeopardy. Other drain valves are also popular including Fumoto, etc.

I'm guessing the shop just wants to get rid of you and the $10 oil changes that you've been making them do for the last 10 years.

They have probably lost a small fortune by giving you this deal for so long. Why should THEY be the ones constantly bending over backwards to help you?

Yes it's their own fault for agreeing to do the money losing oil changes for so long, but I'm sure it still sucks for them. Add to that your constant engine problems that they also probably lose money on, and I can see why they might not be too sad to hear that you're thinking of finding another shop.

I'm guessing the shop just wants to get rid of you and the $10 oil changes that you've been making them do for the last 10 years.

They have probably lost a small fortune by giving you this deal for so long. Why should THEY be the ones constantly bending over backwards to help you?

Yes it's their own fault for agreeing to do the money losing oil changes for so long, but I'm sure it still sucks for them. Add to that your constant engine problems that they also probably lose money on, and I can see why they might not be too sad to hear that you're thinking of finding another shop.

Ummmm... they can charge whatever they want for an oil change. That's the rate that they charge everyone who brings their own oil and filter... not just me.

They're likely using it as a loss leader... as a way to get underneath a vehicle and under the hood, to find other more costly things that need attention... worn brake pads or tires, a leaky water pump, a weak battery...

But thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Took my 2004 Silverado in for a routine oil change and for diagnosis of a noise with one wheel. Since the disastrous series of Jasper engine replacement(s)... as in 3 different Jasper engines in this truck, I've had the mechanic do ALL of the oil changes on it. And when it costs $10 when I supply the oil and filter, why not?

And as I was standing there watching him remove the drain plug, he had to get on the wrench a bit... and then out come the threads for the oil pan with the drain plug. He has been the only guy who has loosened and tightened that plug since the engine was installed.

So... it appears that I now need a new oil pan. He refuses to do a Heli-Coil or anything like that. And here's the kicker... he doesn't feel that he's responsible for it at all... nor does the shop manager. Didn't even get as much as an apology. This is a shop that I've done business with for 20 plus years. Same guy has done ALL of the oil changes on it since Jasper engine #3 was installed in it.

He ended up putting an expandable rubber plug in it (like you use on a boat to keep it from sinking) and sent me on my way. I have zero confidence in something like that, so the truck is now parked until this can be fixed right. Before I left the shop manager starts advising me that it'll be 2.2 hours labor and $600 for an oil pan, but none of it is their responsibilty though.

The owner of the shop also refuses to accept any responsibility, as I can't prove that the mechanic did anything wrong. His defense is that it's a "wear item".

I ended up ordering a Spectra pan for $159 from Advance, as that is what Advance, O'Reilly's and AutoZone all sell in this area, along with a Fel-Pro pan gasket. I'm guessing that there's a gasket or two that I missed, need to research more tonight. Just wanted to get a pan on the way as soon as possible. Hoping that the Spectra is as good as any. 🤞

It's always something. Even when you think you have the bases covered... someone still screws it up for you royally.
Ask me sometime why I do all my own Oil changes and always have, and coming up on 50yo, it's been a couple.

Ummmm... they can charge whatever they want for an oil change. That's the rate that they charge everyone who brings their own oil and filter... not just me.

They're likely using it as a loss leader... as a way to get underneath a vehicle and under the hood, to find other more costly things that need attention... worn brake pads or tires, a leaky water pump, a weak battery...

But thanks anyway.
True, the cheap oil changes are a seen as a "loss leader". Replacing oil pans is not. Your offer of letting them change out your oil pan for free is probably seen as a slap in the face to them.

Yes it sucks, but places need to make money in order to stay in business.

When you get a new reman motor it DOES NOT come with an oil pan....your old one transfers to the "new " motor so that pan is probably worn out. Do I think the mechanic is to blame being that he did atleast the last few oil changes? Yeah sort of even if the pan is old and thru tons of oil changes because he was the last to torque that drain plug. I think they handled the situation very poorly - at the minimum, at my shop, I would have probably offered to split the cost with him on the total bill. That would have been fair.

When you get a new reman motor it DOES NOT come with an oil pan....your old one transfers to the "new " motor so that pan is probably worn out. Do I think the mechanic is to blame being that he did atleast the last few oil changes? Yeah sort of even if the pan is old and thru tons of oil changes because he was the last to torque that drain plug. I think they handled the situation very poorly - at the minimum, at my shop, I would have probably offered to split the cost with him on the total bill. That would have been fair.

I'm sorry, but it clearly DID come with an oil pan. Painted to match the long block, and with an American flag sticker that says "Re-made in the USA"

Sticker is still on there today.

1696538863463.png

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but it clearly DID come with an oil pan. Painted to match the long block, and with an American flag sticker that says "Re-made in the USA"

Sticker is still on there today.

View attachment 181926
Wow first time I saw that after installing tons of reman motors! I never dealt with Jasper however because of their reputation. With that being the case then I change my opinion to that of its the shops responsibility to fix the issue......they did every oil change and they did the damage. My shop would have replaced or repaired the pan w/o cost to the customer.

Thank you for clarifying the pan was new.

I don't know if it was new or not.

It did have a new paint job and a sticker.... LOL.
Regardless you paid for a reman motor which basically means everything should be like new. I really hope you can get some resolution to this issue with that shop - they give bad reps to the industry with that behavior especially with the long term loyal business you have provided.

Took my 2004 Silverado in for a routine oil change and for diagnosis of a noise with one wheel. Since the disastrous series of Jasper engine replacement(s)... as in 3 different Jasper engines in this truck, I've had the mechanic do ALL of the oil changes on it. And when it costs $10 when I supply the oil and filter, why not?

And as I was standing there watching him remove the drain plug, he had to get on the wrench a bit... and then out come the threads for the oil pan with the drain plug. He has been the only guy who has loosened and tightened that plug since the engine was installed.

So... it appears that I now need a new oil pan. He refuses to do a Heli-Coil or anything like that. And here's the kicker... he doesn't feel that he's responsible for it at all... nor does the shop manager. Didn't even get as much as an apology. This is a shop that I've done business with for 20 plus years. Same guy has done ALL of the oil changes on it since Jasper engine #3 was installed in it.

He ended up putting an expandable rubber plug in it (like you use on a boat to keep it from sinking) and sent me on my way. I have zero confidence in something like that, so the truck is now parked until this can be fixed right. Before I left the shop manager starts advising me that it'll be 2.2 hours labor and $600 for an oil pan, but none of it is their responsibilty though.

The owner of the shop also refuses to accept any responsibility, as I can't prove that the mechanic did anything wrong. His defense is that it's a "wear item".

I ended up ordering a Spectra pan for $159 from Advance, as that is what Advance, O'Reilly's and AutoZone all sell in this area, along with a Fel-Pro pan gasket. I'm guessing that there's a gasket or two that I missed, need to research more tonight. Just wanted to get a pan on the way as soon as possible. Hoping that the Spectra is as good as any. 🤞

It's always something. Even when you think you have the bases covered... someone still screws it up for you royally.
I feel you. Not sure if shops are staying busier and are more or less copping an attitude that they can do whatever. I've never had an oil pan bolt be described as a "wear" item.

Back