First Major Repair For The Outback

The spark plug thing may go okay with an independent but not dealers. That would be 2 separate RO's, one for the warranty (warranty is fussier than health insurance about what they pay for) and a retail RO. They are not going to write "just replace plugs because we were in there", that could cause a real sh.. storm, meaning the mechanic didn't get paid one dime and the service dept made nothing either for the extra work.
No dealer I know will do "just replace it while you are in there" job, it can lead to problems. $300 for plugs on that engine is not bad, some of the late model Subaru engines can be a real PITA to do plugs in.

That actually explains it very well, thank you. Never had a vehicle in for such major repair before, so I was probably being a little naive.

The spark plug thing may go okay with an independent but not dealers. That would be 2 separate RO's, one for the warranty (warranty is fussier than health insurance about what they pay for) and a retail RO. They are not going to write "just replace plugs because we were in there", that could cause a real sh.. storm, meaning the mechanic didn't get paid one dime and the service dept made nothing either for the extra work.
It would probably be different if both jobs were customer-pay.

I completely understand that, but the engine is going to be out so super quick. I assume since warranty pay is lower the tech was trying to pad it a little bit...

Yea... Even an NGK at say Advance is $27...
I understand your frustration. My Genesis is at the dealer with the intake manifold off, I asked to replace the spark plugs while it’s apart and they wanted $650. I told them I want pure labor only and I’ll supply the plugs, so they’re charging either 1 hour or 1.5 hours at $194 per hour. I can’t remember. It’s been there for weeks so who knows.

I changed the plugs in 2012 Outback and Impreza, with out a swivel. Is your engine compartment that much different from previous years?

I changed the plugs in 2012 Outback and Impreza, with out a swivel. Is your engine compartment that much different from previous years?

It's pretty tight and there's an AC line on the drivers side that makes it a total bugger. Last time I had the bottom splash shield off it looks like I have good access from the bottom. I'll get a better spark plug socket and try it from the top first though. I like it better trying on the top rather than the bottom. Wait, that don't sound right...

Last edited:
Wow, at this low age and mileage?

Not typically from what I've read. I've had really crappy luck with vehicles recently. We're not even going to get into Gma's VW that I maintain...

thats what makes a subaru a subaru!! NOT for me ever!!

Yea, not the first time I've said that. However, it has been a pretty versatile vehicle for me. And the winter performance has been great. However, saying that after the warranty is up I'm pretty sure it will no longer darken my garage... Going back to another Toyota...

I've had cars spring an oil leak at fairly low mileage before. It seems to me that this is only a major repair because of the engine layout. I'd love to see Subaru move to a more conventional engine design.

Older Subarus had fewer problems.

268250eccb9ccda30a52c1e61f4927e8.jpg

Back