First Major Repair For The Outback

So, just doing some routine checks under the hood on our 2019 Subaru Outback and noticed it was about 1/2 a quart low on oil. Oil was changed about 2500 miles ago and it is a Subaru so I thought nothing of it. Next following days I was blowing out the dust/debris from under the hood and noticed the top of the passenger side cam carrier/cover was wet with oil. Took it in just a little bit ago and it's not just a seep, but a good drip. Normally these just seep, but this one is "major" so they're pulling the engine and re-sealing it all. Normally they can re-seal the covers in car. Drivers side is just starting to seep as well. I've noticed a spot on the garage floor, but just attributed it to the HVAC dripping, but upon further investigation it's indeed oil...

AsKYk4O.jpg

Going to be covered under extended warranty that came from Subaru. Car is also due for spark plugs and asked them for a quote since the engine is out and access is super simple. They want to charge and hour labor @$180 and parts $120+ for an extra total of over $300. Makes no sense at all I declined obviously. I can buy a set of swivel adapters and extended spark plug socket, along with plugs for under the $120 parts cost.

They did give me a 2023 Outback as a loaner. Quick overview in Vehicles shortly on what I think of it (spoiler: I hate it, lol)

cant really tell from the photos, but in my past research, the FB25 has been known to leak from the cam carriers. There is no gasket there, critical flaw in my opinion. At such a young age its inexcusable.

This is actually a tough situation. I am in complete agreement that this dealer's pricing for plugs on an engine-out car is obscene. On the other hand, you have a car that requires a major repair at a very early point. I would be very inclined to have the dealer replace those plugs under most circumstances. I suggest going full-Karen on this one, asking for an explanation for the charges. I would tell them to stop work on the car, and call both the warranty provider and the other nearest dealer to explain the situation. I would ask the service manager to open a file with the Subaru regional service manager. This engine should not fail at 65,000 miles in the modern era, and you are the aggrieved party here.

2019 isn't all that old, and 67k miles (per your signature) isn't high mileage for oil leaks that leave drips on the ground. Good to have that extended warranty. I've never considered an extended warranty with a car purchase, but with repair costs being so expensive now, probably a good idea.

At first the tech thought it was the AC was on and dripping condensate, but as the lift went higher it was oil. Immediately grabbed the advisor to set me up with a loaner. They were not letting me leave in that car. I was there a whole 20 minutes before the advisor got me. It almost felt like they were surprised I made it there? These normally just seep oil, so this is a rare case it seems.

Warranty was $1,000 and this repair starts out at $3,000. Already paying for itself.

This is actually a tough situation. I am in complete agreement that this dealer's pricing for plugs on an engine-out car is obscene. On the other hand, you have a car that requires a major repair at a very early point. I would be very inclined to have the dealer replace those plugs under most circumstances. I suggest going full-Karen on this one, asking for an explanation for the charges. I would tell them to stop work on the car, and call both the warranty provider and the other nearest dealer to explain the situation. I would ask the service manager to open a file with the Subaru regional service manager. This engine should not fail at 65,000 miles in the modern era, and you are the aggrieved party here.

Warranty is through Subaru North America. They were already starting to tear into it when I hopped in the loaner.

I did try an question why they were charging a ridiculous amount of labor for something that would take minutes especially with the cam carriers and timing chains off. The advisor was agreeing with me, but the shop foreman was being a bit of a butt. I don't like conflict and just want my car repaired so I left it at that.

At first the tech thought it was the AC was on and dripping condensate, but as the lift went higher it was oil. Immediately grabbed the advisor to set me up with a loaner. They were not letting me leave in that car. I was there a whole 20 minutes before the advisor got me. It almost felt like they were surprised I made it there? These normally just seep oil, so this is a rare case it seems.

Warranty was $1,000 and this repair starts out at $3,000. Already paying for itself.
That's good service from the dealer. Nice to hear about a positive dealer experience once in a while.
(Except for the overpriced spark plugs estimate)

Last edited:
That's good service from the dealer. Nice to hear about a positive dealer experience once in a while.

Ehhh, the shop Foreman was being a bit of a butt, but I was asking a bit of questions.

The advisor was excellent though. They're also trying to expedite the DCM that has been on order for this car for almost 6 months while the car is there.

The spark plug thing may go okay with an independent but not dealers. That would be 2 separate RO's, one for the warranty (warranty is fussier than health insurance about what they pay for) and a retail RO. They are not going to write "just replace plugs because we were in there", that could cause a real sh.. storm, meaning the mechanic didn't get paid one dime and the service dept made nothing either for the extra work.
No dealer I know will do "just replace it while you are in there" job, it can lead to problems. $300 for plugs on that engine is not bad, some of the late model Subaru engines can be a real PITA to do plugs in.

Back