It never fails.... oil pan drain plug threads stripped out by mechanic.

Took my 2004 Silverado in for a routine oil change and for diagnosis of a noise with one wheel. Since the disastrous series of Jasper engine replacement(s)... as in 3 different Jasper engines in this truck, I've had the mechanic do ALL of the oil changes on it. And when it costs $10 when I supply the oil and filter, why not?

And as I was standing there watching him remove the drain plug, he had to get on the wrench a bit... and then out come the threads for the oil pan with the drain plug. He has been the only guy who has loosened and tightened that plug since the engine was installed.

So... it appears that I now need a new oil pan. He refuses to do a Heli-Coil or anything like that. And here's the kicker... he doesn't feel that he's responsible for it at all... nor does the shop manager. Didn't even get as much as an apology. This is a shop that I've done business with for 20 plus years. Same guy has done ALL of the oil changes on it since Jasper engine #3 was installed in it.

He ended up putting an expandable rubber plug in it (like you use on a boat to keep it from sinking) and sent me on my way. I have zero confidence in something like that, so the truck is now parked until this can be fixed right. Before I left the shop manager starts advising me that it'll be 2.2 hours labor and $600 for an oil pan, but none of it is their responsibilty though.

The owner of the shop also refuses to accept any responsibility, as I can't prove that the mechanic did anything wrong. His defense is that it's a "wear item".

I ended up ordering a Spectra pan for $159 from Advance, as that is what Advance, O'Reilly's and AutoZone all sell in this area, along with a Fel-Pro pan gasket. I'm guessing that there's a gasket or two that I missed, need to research more tonight. Just wanted to get a pan on the way as soon as possible. Hoping that the Spectra is as good as any. 🤞

It's always something. Even when you think you have the bases covered... someone still screws it up for you royally.

Last edited:
Do you have a photo? Is this a steel or aluminum pan?

If I was him, I wouldn’t feel responsible either. Something old is likely to break when it comes apart. I’m guessing it was just a junk pan from before Jasper got their hands on it.

I’d see if Jasper could warranty it. Likely won’t cover the labor, but it’s worth a try for a new pan.

@mrsilv04, many years ago I worked as a tune-up and OC/lube tech.

I agree that oil-pan drain plugs shouldn't ever strip, but I used see a lot of them. I would guess every 10th or so car came in with a really tight drain plug, and a number of those would strip the oil-pan threads out when removed.

We used to replace them with the expanding rubber plugs. I also had little confidence in them, but that was what the boss had us use. No comebacks as I recall.

Took my 2004 Silverado in for a routine oil change and for diagnosis of a noise with one wheel. Since the disastrous series of Jasper engine replacement(s)... as in 3 different Jasper engines in this truck, I've had the mechanic do ALL of the oil changes on it. And when it costs $10 when I supply the oil and filter, why not?

And as I was standing there watching him remove the drain plug, he had to get on the wrench a bit... and then out come the threads for the oil pan with the drain plug. He has been the only guy who has loosened and tightened that plug since the engine was installed.

So... it appears that I now need a new oil pan. He refuses to do a Heli-Coil or anything like that. And here's the kicker... he doesn't feel that he's responsible for it at all... nor does the shop manager. Didn't even get as much as an apology. This is a shop that I've done business with for 20 plus years. Same guy has done ALL of the oil changes on it since Jasper engine #3 was installed in it.

He ended up putting an expandable rubber plug in it (like you use on a boat to keep it from sinking) and sent me on my way. I have zero confidence in something like that, so the truck is now parked until this can be fixed right. Before I left the shop manager starts advising me that it'll be 2.2 hours labor and $600 for an oil pan, but none of it is their responsibilty though.

The owner of the shop also refuses to accept any responsibility, as I can't prove that the mechanic did anything wrong. His defense is that it's a "wear item".

I ended up ordering a Spectra pan for $159 from Advance, as that is what Advance, O'Reilly's and AutoZone all sell in this area, along with a Fel-Pro pan gasket. I'm guessing that there's a gasket or two that I missed, need to research more tonight. Just wanted to get a pan on the way as soon as possible. Hoping that the Spectra is as good as any. 🤞

It's always something. Even when you think you have the bases covered... someone still screws it up for you royally.

I had this happen with my last oil change so I understand that it is as annoying as any explicative that you can think of. However, do we really want to hold them responsible for stripping the aluminum pan when attempting to unscrew rather than tighten the drain plug?

They don't know whose been under the vehicle regardless of what the customer says and aluminum pans are what they are.

This also happens with oil filters. I took my car to an oil change shop in the winter. I didn’t want to change it in the freezing cold. But when I tried to change the filter myself, it was on so hard, I physically crushed it when loosening it via a filter strap tool. Just awful. Having other people work on my vehicles stresses me out like few other things.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Before I saw you bought a pan I was going to offer to send you a truck pan for the cost of a flat rate box.

They're an aluminum pan but man I've never stripped one. I guess some guys don't know good enough for tightness.

I'm more shocked that they are willing to do an oil change for $10 (doesn't matter that you supply the parts). Between writing the order, pulling the vehicle and getting it in the air, doing the work, then the person closing the paperwork/payment, it costs them way more than $10.

Besides Oil Pan Gasket, you may need the oil plate block off gasket that goes on the side of the pan by the oil filter. Tons of LS have block off plates, some trucks do have oil cooler lines that bolt here.

Beyond that, you should be good. Nothing else is really touched.

I am curious if the new pan will take a metric filter or the standard SAE. I've seen some GMT800/Gen III LS truck motors with metric filter and my only figuring what that it was either a replacement pan from the aftermarket or someone put a pan from a Gen IV truck motor on.

The Spectra pan looks decent. Appears to already have the block off plate installed so that should be fine.

Here is what they say about oil filter threads.

Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 1.21.12 PM.jpg

@mrsilv04 I have literally paid for 2 oil changes in my life at 46 years old because I had something similar happen. I used something similar to the Eco-plug others described and had no further issues. I would go this route if you can.

Just my $0.02

My dad was taking his Nissan Frontier (now mine) to the Nissan dealer because he was getting older. Prior to that he did the oil changes himself.

The threads on the drain plug are damaged. I'm pretty sure the Nissan dealer did that.

I changed the oil again on it recently and I forgot about the drain plug being messed up. Otherwise I would have gotten a new one.

The threads in the oil pan may well also be messed up. The drain plug screws in and tightens somewhat. Enough to keep the drain plug in and keep it from dripping, but it doesn't tighten up like it would if the threads weren't mangled.

I guess there's also the possibility that this drainplug isn't even the right thread for this oil pan....

I'm sorry to hear that.

Before I saw you bought a pan I was going to offer to send you a truck pan for the cost of a flat rate box.

They're an aluminum pan but man I've never stripped one. I guess some guys don't know good enough for tightness.
Oil drain plugs don't need to be that tight, enough to contact them a 1/4 turn to crush the washer is more than enough.

I run a garage, and I’m sorry this happened to you, but it does happen.
You start to undo a drain plug, and it is really stiff and won’t budge…is it just a bit too tight from the last OC, or is it stripped??
You never know until you get it out..most times it comes out fine, just a bit stiff to turn, other times…it’s done.
Not picking on you, but from other threads on this truck I know you have done a LOT of OC’s on it to protect the engine. That is a lot of times the plug has been screwed in and out. Match that with a reman/cheap oil pan, and this isn’t entirely surprising. Sorry.

Back