VWB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting responses so far. I find it interesting that panzerman noted that Castrol seemed to keep motors cleaner than VWB. While others have noted that VWB help keep some motors quite clean. A lot of variables there for sure I would bet. I liked the UOA on the Valvoline conventional oil.

One of the best conventional oils you can buy. Check data on it and the endless positive posts. Dad ran it and the OCOD for 4000 intervals for most of his 2003 sporttrac's life and over 210000 still going. Knock the add pack all you want ,it produces.

There are some engines that stay cleaner with something with a more robust detergent add pack such as Pennzoil.
BUT, just like tires in which there is usually a compromise in one area to be better in another, an oil such a VWB may not have the
greatest cleaning abilities, but it allows for slightly better wear protection. The posted UOA's of Valvoline seem to
indicate this.

Shotgun429 uses Valvoline lubes in his shop and has no bad to say about the oil
smile.gif

VWB and Maxlife both are A1 oils bbhero
wink.gif

I am running VSP in my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6 my truck seems to idle much smother then any other oil. I did talk to a guy recently that has a 2008 truck like mine with 300,000 miles and has only used VWB so it must be good oil.

VWB is a fine, no frills, basic oil.
The entire Valvoline line looks kind of ho-hum on paper, but always does well in UOA and real world.
Many, many vehicles at work, 150,000 to 220,000 on nothing but Valvoline conventional from VIOC every 5,000 miles.

I'm called crazy at times, but I still thing American owned is important, and Ashland/Valvoline still is an American company. The local Grease Monkey uses Castrol, and of course Iffy Lube uses SOPUS, both foreign owned. So for most of us at work, it's Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Synpower is also a very good oil but I remember reading that it's not really an extended drain oil....who knows if that's true or not?

Here is a link to a UOA for Valvoline SynPower 5W30 In a 04 Lexus ES330

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4146844/1/

It did almost 7k miles and produced only 4 ppm Iron, and had a TBN of 2.4 so ample left to keep going. The KV100 is 9.6 cSt so still in grade.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think its just a plain vanilla oil. It doesn't seem to clean as well as Castrol or Pennzoil by judging looking at dirty engines after using it awhile. I wouldn't say it's bad oil, just no frills oil.
Valvoline Synthetic failed to impress me too.

That's kind've how I feel about it too. PYB has much better specs and add pack.

On paper, I'd agree with you. However:

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Top of the line conventional

THIS is what the results are with VWB - top of the line. I ran a UOA test on two vehicles around '06, VWB had just as good results as Amsoil, M1 and ST Syn at 5000 miles. It may not be good for more than around 7500 miles, but at 5000 miles the wear metals were as low or in some cases lower than the synthetics.

I used VWB from around '92 to '04 when I switched to Amsoil for extended drains since we were both driving 29k mostly highway miles each year. I may switch back once my current stockpile of Amsoil is used up.

It's good stuff - just looks plain vanilla on paper.

Any namebrand oil will work good for 5000 mile oil changes. Your engine won't notice what bottle it came out of.
VWB is a good oil just like any major oil is.
You knew this already.

I've run my LR3 on mostly VWB with occasional Castrol GTX phases for 156k and it doesn't use enough oil at all to warrant topping off during a normal 6k mile OCI. I'm a fan of it.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Any namebrand oil will work good for 5000 mile oil changes. Your engine won't notice what bottle it came out of.
You knew this already.

The OP's knowledge about VWB or any other motor oil is not in question. I believe he just wanted to hear other people's thoughts about VWB and for them to talk about their experiences with it.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
You knew this already.

The OP's knowledge about VWB or any other motor oil is not in question. I believe he just wanted to hear other people's thoughts about VWB and for them to talk about their experiences with it.

Exactly!
Bbhero is a A1+ guy

Thank you very much Tony10s. You are exactly right about this.

And thank you car51. I appreciate your comment here. I try to do the best I can.

Dallas what Tony10s said is where I was at with this.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Thank you very much Tony10s. You are exactly right about this.

And thank you car51. I appreciate your comment here. I try to do the best I can.

Dallas what Tony10s said is where I was at with this.

Anyone that helps folks and cares bout other folks vehicles like you and BlueOvalFilter gets my stamp of approval. I didn't see that LubriGold oil while in your area of Virginia but nabbed some Havoline 5w30 Syn at a O'Reilys
wink.gif

I am not saying Valvoline makes your engine dirty. I am going by looking down in and seeing varnish, using Valvoline for three oil changes and little changes and oil comes out brownish after 3,000 miles. Castrol after two changes and the varnish is noticably lighter, after 5 big change and oil comes out black as coal. These were engines I didn't have since new so I am not sure of this care. I am just saying Valvoline may be a good oil, but doesn't seem to clean a dirty engine at all.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I am not saying Valvoline makes your engine dirty. I am going by looking down in and seeing varnish, using Valvoline for three oil changes and little changes and oil comes out brownish after 3,000 miles. Castrol after two changes and the varnish is noticably lighter, after 5 big change and oil comes out black as coal. These were engines I didn't have since new so I am not sure of this care. I am just saying Valvoline may be a good oil, but doesn't seem to clean a dirty engine at all.

I disagree. Every engine is different

IIRC, the million-mile ford van used VWB. Of course he may have been paid to say that. And it may have been rebuilt several times. But still.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: Tony10s

Exactly!
Bbhero is a A1+ guy

thumbsup2.gif
You're right car51. You, bbhero, KCJeep, SR5, blupupher, FordBroncoVWJeta, Garak, 2015_PSID, Farmer, Sayjac, FlyNavyP3, MrQuackers, robo339, and many other members are the main reasons I keep returning to BITOG to read posts and keep up on motor oil, oil filters, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back