New PYB?

Since Pennzoil no longer makes a conventional oil anymore, and the closest thing is a blend, where did that leave PYB? Is it the "new" blend, or did they completely do away with it?

It's a blend in 5w20/30
Conventional 10w30 and heavier
Yeah, I already knew that. Pennzoil does not make a "convential" oil anymore (which is what PYB was). So is the synthetic blend the PYB now, or did they just eliminate PYB all together?

I believe PYB is now marketed as Pennzoil Gold which is API SP and Dexos 1 Gen 3. It’s a synthetic blend.

366C5425-C553-43D1-95B2-4577A59BF65E.jpg
14022314-2057-49A1-B57E-8E1EF3F8CE5C.jpg

Thought they were all blends now…..

You can still get some straight conventional group 2s. No one will make a group 1 PCEO anymore.

For sake of production, it’s easier to make all Syn blends anymore. Right now I would have to have a conventional 10w30 blended specially for me. Normally it’s just Syn blend.

I can get conventional group 2s in 10w40 / 20w50 and straight weights.

I can still get conventional 15w40s in theory. But a lot of them have group 3s in them.

For the most part, assume that everything is a blend in some level.

Valvoline 10W-30 is still a conventional oil, and maybe one of the last, at least readily available.

However the blends tend to be mostly group 2 anyway so not sure how much it really matters.

So the Pennzoil Gold is not the old PYB (except for the blend part)?
No, Pennzoil Gold is a blend that carries dexos licensing. The bottom tier blend (PYB) does not.

Some years ago, Pennzoil used to market that the Gold product contained 50% synthetic base stock, on the label.

1707752496950.jpg

Last edited:
Valvoline 10W-30 is still a conventional oil, and maybe one of the last, at least readily available.

However the blends tend to be mostly group 2 anyway so not sure how much it really matters.
I would not think ANY GF6A ILSAC RC oil to be a majority "conventional" blend

Consider the terminology a marketing differentiation - not solvent distillation v hydrocraking refining.

valv 10w30.jpg

valv conventional 10w30.jpg

Last edited:
No, Pennzoil Gold is a blend that carries dexos licensing. The bottom tier blend (PYB) does not.

Some years ago, Pennzoil used to market that the Gold product contained 50% synthetic base stock, on the label.

View attachment 203120

That's correct. Gold was introduced as a lower cost alternative to full synthetics around the time Dexos Gen1 became required by GM. Until that time, Pennzoil didn't market a PCMO as a blend.

Well if you are wanting to call group II (and III?) hydrocracked/hydroisomerized "conventional".

I am not so sure I am ready for that. Maybe I am old and remember the old ways.

Since NAB says "Fully Synthetic" is now just a marketing term and can include Grp III processed mineral oils,
that bar has been moved to the benefit of Big Oil and maybe now the consumer? Depending on product pricing? Do you Need ester and PAO performance? That killer advanced DP? Maybe some do.

I am sure Average Joe Consumer still believes Synthetic oil is "magical" and formed in small batches in the Lab by Chem E's in white coats and goggles swirling Erlenmeyer and Florece flasks of blue and amber coloured fluids :) But what harm are they suffering? Hmm.

The 10W30 Valvoline I posted has 15 to 20 % conventionally solvent refined base stock on the "possibly erroneous" SDS. Now I don't even see that appearing on your year newer SDS.

Next thing restaurants will be giving you Parkay when you ask for butter!

Sorry, SC, I be just freestyle rappin' to no conclusion

Here is CAS# description listed as the primary constituent of the "Fully Synthetic" product above.

4,7,11-tris(butan-2-yl)-14-ethyl-2,3,5,15-tetramethyl-10-(2-methylpentan-3-yl)hexadecane

EC number: 276-738-4 | CAS number: 72623-87-1
A complex combination of hydrocarbons obtained by treating light vacuum gas oil, heavy vacuum gas oil and solvent deasphalted residual oil with hydrogen in the presence of a catalyst in a two stage process with dewaxing being carried out between the two stages. It consists predominantly of hydrocarbons having carbon numbers predominantly in the range of C20 through C50 and produces a finished oil with a viscosity of approximately 32cSt at 40°C. It contains a relatively large proportion of saturated hydrocarbons.

- excerpt from ECHA website

Back