New PYB?

Since Pennzoil no longer makes a conventional oil anymore, and the closest thing is a blend, where did that leave PYB? Is it the "new" blend, or did they completely do away with it?
I found this my local Walmart yesterday. It doesn’t say synthetic blend, but has the SP rating. Perhaps it’s old stock. Enjoy.

4D494D3A-6F19-4BE2-A386-6CA134DD6753.jpeg
020A9B10-F28F-4931-A261-72F21067A9DE.jpeg
B929686C-BD82-4EA1-B13B-85C19A97580C.jpeg

I would not think ANY GF6A ILSAC RC oil to be a majority "conventional" blend

Consider the terminology a marketing differentiation - not solvent distillation v hydrocraking refining.

View attachment 203126

View attachment 203129
The marketing departments are not in sync with the engineering departments. Here is some Supertech marked as conventional but meeting SP and and ILSAC GF-6A specs.

C9DED462-54A2-4532-86BA-BEE9388113AF.jpeg
EB7962CF-A8A6-4224-BE62-17BCE5C687AB.jpeg
A4D29994-A098-4128-8EF1-27206ED2A1F3.jpeg

There are no regulations on how much synthetic oil constitutes a synthetic blend unless perhaps one can decipher a product sheet correctly. Pennzoil ads referring to a “traditional base oil” are probably closer to the truth than being a “ synthetic blend with a significant amount of synthetic base oil.

Interesting, Semi-relevant announcement I heard today.

Shell has a deal / joint venture with BlueTide environmental for Group 2+ re-refined base oils. And Re-refined base products are going to be part of shell’s portfolio going forward.

Might apply to Pennzoil syn blends. Might be relegated strictly to hydraulics and industrials. Not sure. But… they’re really focusing on it.

Also strictly a rumor, BP/Castrol has been sniffing around or possibly has a deal with a major re-refiner. For primarily PCEO products.

Take it for what it’s worth. Both Shell and BP were major speakers today at the conference I was at. Same with Valvoline (Motiva side) - They admitted how they screwed up on the Valvoline nexgen marketing.

Interesting, Semi-relevant announcement I heard today.

Shell has a deal / joint venture with BlueTide environmental for Group 2+ re-refined base oils. And Re-refined base products are going to be part of shell’s portfolio going forward.

Might apply to Pennzoil syn blends. Might be relegated strictly to hydraulics and industrials. Not sure. But… they’re really focusing on it.

Also strictly a rumor, BP/Castrol has been sniffing around or possibly has a deal with a major re-refiner. For primarily PCEO products.

Take it for what it’s worth. Both Shell and BP were major speakers today at the conference I was at. Same with Valvoline (Motiva side) - They admitted how they screwed up on the Valvoline nexgen marketing.

It’s coming back sooner than folks think…..

It’s coming back sooner than folks think…..

It’s already here. You just don’t know about it.

A very large portion of syn blends on the market are at least partially re-refined. Just not marketed that way. It’s just interesting that Shell announced a JV. And Castrol has interest.

That means it’s the way the market is going to go when the major players are interested in re-refined or renewable (Chevron) base stocks.

Funny, bc ‘fresh oil’ production is at all-time highs, and prices aren’t high enough that purchasing/using used oil will lead to savings…
Plus the public doesn’t like ‘the idea’ of re-refined oils, wonder what the motivation is??

Funny, bc ‘fresh oil’ production is at all-time highs, and prices aren’t high enough that purchasing/using used oil will lead to savings…
Plus the public doesn’t like ‘the idea’ of re-refined oils, wonder what the motivation is??

It’s cheaper base stocks than conventional Group 2s. For the same if not better performance. You can use less VII and cold flow improvers. You can also use less group III’s to meet the cold crank. Etc. Which makes the end product cheaper.

Re-refined follows the Natgas market. Which is extremely low right now. Where as conventional base stocks are ticking up, with Motiva announcing a price increase. I’m generally expecting a small bump here in a week or two of 20-40cpg.

In the furtherance of environmental protection and conservation, some municipalities have required re-refined lubes for their fleets for many years. NYC made the switch some time ago. It's possible New York has lifted or modified the requirement, but it sure seemed as if it was going to be a trend.

Back