Hypothetically, who makes a good 5w-20 for a modern, non-turbo engine?

You think you telling a funny, but it’s been proven on the dyno that even though the 3.5EB will run just fine on 87 octane, that filling the tank up with 93 long enough for the octane sensor to register, will result in an additional 20+ RWHP.

Ford knows the added octane is optimal, but also knows most truck owners are looking for low cost. That’s why I got an E30 tune and run it frequently- not only does HP jump from the ~320rwhp level to just over 500, but the last time I filled up with E85 at Casey’s I paid $1.64/gal when 87 was $2.67. The ~12-15% mileage loss is a small price to pay for those tradeoffs IMO.
5.0's also. I think it even gives the HP increase in the manual. That's legit, but to most of us we don't need it, and it plays true to Tigeos comment about it. It runs fine on 87. But many run 93 and never use more than 150 of their available HP. Like me. I WOT only to pass people, and half the time I don't even WOT. Probably more like 75% of the time I don't WOT to pass.

I get on Ford a little bit because I had a bad 5.0. 2018 model. First time I took it into the shop for the intermittent cam phaser knock they swore it was ping. "Run premium and that will go away" , except it didn't. I also was able to run a few successive tanks of E85 (even higher octane than premium) with no change. Took it back to the shop "maybe you got bad premium, try some more" - took them 20,000 miles to agree with me that I had a lemon truck.

Not to hijack, but a straight E30 tune and a tank of E30 gains you THAT much HP or are there other mods? That's pretty darn nice. I'd run HPL too if I did that lol.

I know many on here think 0w-20s have better formulations than 5w-20s. But just out of curiosity, who is making the highest quality 5w-20 right now (excluding the "premium" brands that cost a fortune). Just curious.
There’s really no best. They’re all good. Just look for GF6

Think it’s always been legit to hear what the same motor uses in Oz …
We might be closer to those temps than Minnesota …
I googled but there isn't much info out. The F150 is available (just starting this past year) in OZ but only with the 3.5 Eco. That's the one engine I've never owned. @SubieRubyRoo has a 3.5EB

Not to hijack, but a straight E30 tune and a tank of E30 gains you THAT much HP or are there other mods? That's pretty darn nice. I'd run HPL too if I did that lol.
Here’s the E50 tune; ~550rwhp on otherwise stock truck:

Attachments

• IMG_2819.jpg
    IMG_2819.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 7
Turbo tunes....easy power cranking up those Wuhan War Whistles.

I know many on here think 0w-20s have better formulations than 5w-20s. But just out of curiosity, who is making the highest quality 5w-20 right now (excluding the "premium" brands that cost a fortune). Just curious.
You could take dnewtons advice. I’d personally choose Providence blend or their synthetic. Used lots in the past without issues. As already mentioned: please, please don’t overthink this.

P.U.P. 5w-20 for all . The V.O.A. for the ULTRA 5w-20 . VIDEO is 3 years old , but likely applies to this time . Plan to get this in the spring for next O.C. of the '18 ACCENT w/ G.D.I. . Hope there's a rebate by then . Did use Ultra 5w-20 once ( picture below ) .

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-on-pp-and-pup-5w-20.355617/ . Picture below is from the video .

View attachment 196294

View attachment 196302

IMG_2674.JPG

The original poster had posted wrong cSt for the P.U. 5w-20 ( above ) . The picture below Iooks to be the correct cSt for the P.U.P. 5w-20 . The other is P.U.P. 5w-30 . Thinking it's possibly S.N. due to high CALCIUM .

IMG_2797.JPG
IMG_2798.JPG

Last edited:
Amalie
Amsoil
Castrol
Chevron
Coastal
Conoco
Fuchs
GulfPride
Havoline
HPL
Kendall
Kirkland
LiquiMoly
Mobil
Motorcraft
Motul
Peak
Pennzoil
Phillips
Quaker State
Ravenol
Red Line
Royal Purple
Schaeffers
Shell
Super Tech
Total
Valvoline

In other words, what's the cheapest Xw20 you can get? ;)
Guessing SuperTech blend.

Back