using "Nitrogen" as a deal breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went and go nitrogen installed in my car and now i get 99 MPG everywhere i go. The car now goes 0-60 in 2 seconds. I can even hit a button and the car will literally fly for a few minutes to get over traffic jams. It was worth every penny of the $1000.00 the local Mazda dealer charged for the nitrogen.

(Obvious Troll Post)

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If the air had water in it, then I would agree. So are we comparing humid air and dry nitrogen? Then, that's a phase change in water causing a pressure variance, not a property of the air per se...
Well I didn't know you used dry air for your tires.

Nearly every compressor creates relatively dry air...I make certain that mine is drained, so it's pretty dry. Even humid air wouldn't create the effect of phase variance...you would have to introduce liquid water into the tire...so, neither Nitrogen nor air really have this problem...

But then, that doesn't feed into the Nitrogen religion...or marketing...see Nitrogen Myth #8 in the video...
You asked for an explanation and I gave it. Now you think I'm some religious freak?

No SHOZ, I don't think you're a religious freak.

I just think that a lot of folks have been taken in by the set of false beliefs that surround the use of Nitrogen. Beliefs unsupported by facts or analysis...so, while I appreciate you answering my rhetorical question, I remain unconvinced that the highlighted statement "Nitrogen expands less than air when it heats" is true...

Because that's bogus.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Wow...that's just nuts....nitrogen nuts. Especially since the atmosphere is ~ 71% nitrogen.

Further, aren't the tires covered by the TIRE manufacturer, not the AUTO manufacturer??

"There's a sucker born every minute" - P.T. Barnum
OOps...my bad...should have stated ~ 78%.

Wow, I need to start marketing my nitrogen-blend air pumps. Why use conventional when there is a blend available.

If you want to really make it sporty, use hydrogen. Just remember: they put hydrogen in blimps and that was bad.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
My tires have 78.09% nitrogen and I only paid fifty cents at the local filling station.

Dang, 50 cents? Nobody around here charges for it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: bvance554
I wouldn't pay $5 for a 'nitrogen fill.' Utter nonsense.

I would pay 50 cents for nitrogen fill each tire, not a penny more.

True, that isn't a bad deal. The only place to get free air around here is Wawa, and they proudly display a sign that reads 'Free Air.' I'm not a very religious man, but I do believe there is ONE thing God did not intend for us to buy, and that is air.

I tend to frequent the stations that have free air.

E.G. Maplefields, in the center of Stowe, VT is a Mobil station that has free air. (it's one of several stations owned by the same guy, Skip Vallee, and all of them offer free air). I always buy gas at "Mapes" when I'm up there, and then get a nice 16oz Green Mountain coffee, freshly brewed, for $1.25...good coffee, free air, why would I shop around for a few pennies/gallon?

I'm saving more than that on the coffee and/or the air!

Last edited:
I once asked a gas station owner why he discontinued free air and went with contracted "pay air." He said that customers abused the privilege. They tossed the chuck on the ground and broke it. The refused to stow the hose and ran over it. Ultimately, it became a maintenance headache.

I can see it still being offered in smaller towns or at mom and pop stores where there is still somewhat of a feeling of belonging to the community. It seems that free air is yet another casualty in our apathetic, often inconsiderate homogenized world.

Well, if live in an area with Discount Tire stores or are driving by one, not only will get free air and pressure check, you'll get it done by an employee simply by driving up to the designated bay, usually closest to the lobby. Oh, and DT features everday the 78% Nitrogen variety only. Good deal!

Does DT offer any other services other than tires at their stores? I know they offer free flat repair also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Like I need another reason to not buy a Mazda.

Originally Posted By: Spillips
Reading this is turning me off to Mazda's....

Why do you two think that this has ANYTHING to do with Mazda?
This is a local dealership issue.

Even if you contacted Mazda NA about this issue, they would clearly tell you that they have no control over how their dealerships sell they vehicles that they buy from Mazda.

What I can tell you is that the Mazda dealer in question isn't on the list of Edmunds 5 Star dealers:

http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-re...-dealer-awards/

Nor is it a member of the list of Gold Cup Mazda dealers realeased by Mazda itself:

http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2016-mazda-gold-cup-dealerships-announced/

So, if you live in Texas, and you want to buy a Mazda, don't buy it at Roger Beasley Mazda of Killeen. Just drive down the road to either Georgetown or Austin instead.

BC.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I wouldn't pay $5 for a 'nitrogen fill.' Utter nonsense.

I would pay 50 cents for nitrogen fill each tire, not a penny more.

True, that isn't a bad deal. The only place to get free air around here is Wawa, and they proudly display a sign that reads 'Free Air.' I'm not a very religious man, but I do believe there is ONE thing God did not intend for us to buy, and that is air.

Unfortunately God doesnt provide us with the compressor, hoses, chucks, and electricity....

Had a buddy that ran a station and he pulled free air because of abuse as well.

Came to work and a guy was doing a top end rebuild with air tools working off the shop compressor - when confronted the guy was incredulous and said "the sign says free air!"
Im happy to pitch in a few bucks, but if its free its free right?

Sad because the pay air deals in so cal put out about as much air as a panting squirrel.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Does DT offer any other services other than tires at their stores? I know they offer free flat repair also.

No. They are pretty much dedicated tire and wheel sale and service stores. They do road force balancing too, but no alignments.

Yes, free puncture repair to all if it is found in a repairable area as determined by RMA and following their repair guidelines.

Quote:
Sad because the pay air deals in so cal put out about as much air as a panting squirrel.
lol.gif

So true. Airing up tires with those toys is an ordeal. I can certainly see why stations ax the free air.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
So, if you live in Texas, and you want to buy a Mazda, don't buy it at Roger Beasley Mazda of Killeen. Just drive down the road to either Georgetown or Austin instead.
THAT'S who is doing this?? RB Mazda?? Geeze Louise.......that's just pathetic.

I'm often amazed when businesses do such stupid things, particularly with social media, internet business ranking sites, car forums, etc. posting such stupid behavior. Evidently RB Mazda thinks their customers are gullible idiots and treats them accordingly.

I wonder if the GM knows about this?

What about the Consumer Protection Division of The State of Texas Attorneys General Office?

It smells a lot like fraud to me.......

I just think that a lot of folks have been taken in by the set of false beliefs that surround the use of Nitrogen.

But, if you pay for it, there must be some tangible, obvious benefit, or that would mean the customer has been taken, and customers are too smart for that.

FutureDoc: That's a great idea. If oil companies can market synthetic blends, you certainly can market nitrogen blend air pumps.
wink.gif

Shame on these dealers. Outright fraud and misleading marketing. Should be prosecuted and shut down this practice. Shame on any employee who sells this junk.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Like I need another reason to not buy a Mazda.

Originally Posted By: Spillips
Reading this is turning me off to Mazda's....

Why do you two think that this has ANYTHING to do with Mazda?
This is a local dealership issue.

Even if you contacted Mazda NA about this issue, they would clearly tell you that they have no control over how their dealerships sell they vehicles that they buy from Mazda.

What I can tell you is that the Mazda dealer in question isn't on the list of Edmunds 5 Star dealers:

http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-re...-dealer-awards/

Nor is it a member of the list of Gold Cup Mazda dealers realeased by Mazda itself:

http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2016-mazda-gold-cup-dealerships-announced/

BC.

Corporate can absolutely come down on a dealership that is ripping people off. They can even drop the franchise if they wish. The dealership has no upper hand. I understand your point though, they could be selling any brand, but they are selling Mazdas and this is a reason to not buy one if you're shopping there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back