Rental car review - 2021 Toyota Corolla LE

So an impatient driver put my ID.4 in the body shop ~2 weeks ago, fortunately no one hurt just a Lexus ES350 that pit maneuvered itself against my drivers front. We both have same insurance carrier (Progressive) and they deemed other driver 100% at fault so it has been shockingly smooth, I will say I didn't realize Progressive shut down their one stop shop service centers so I was not looking forward to having to deal with the body shop and Enterprise but honestly it went quite smoothly (knock on wood). Anyhow - onto the rental car.

2021 Toyota Corolla LE - good old neighborhood Enterprise edition. 46k miles on the clock, smells like they sprayed a gallon of perfume in it which made everything sticky and the perfume burned the heck out of my eyes on the drive home, stains all over the seats and headliner(?), one mismatched tire that is far more worn than the other 3 Ironman tires, rough idle, etc. This car has seen it all and has been ridden hard and put away wet. This Enterprise location is probably an hour round trip for me so I decided I would wipe it down with some Clorox wipes and deal with it instead of trying to trade it for another car.

Powertrain - 1.8L of fury hooked up to a CVT with a "takeoff" gear. I don't know if some of those 139 HP left the stable or the takeoff gear is not working properly but this thing is incredibly slow. I would clock the 0-60 around 10 seconds. I learned the first day to be very cognizant of pulling out into traffic as you will not be getting out of the way in any sort of quick fashion. Honestly after driving many CVT equipped vehicles I don't think they are cut out for smaller displacement engines. Altima 2.5 just fine, Altima/Maxima 3.5 just fine, Sentra and Corolla they can't get off the line in any expedient fashion and I don't recall regular geared automatics in the 1.8-2.0 class being this slow. Toyota has since made the 2.0L standard across the board with Corolla so hopefully that one has a bit more guts to it - funny enough the bigger 2.0 gets better fuel economy than the 1.8 so there is that too. Bonus - the CVT whines like a supercharger on WOT so you sound fast when you are not going fast.

Fuel Economy - Middling in my daily commute. After ~320 miles I am sitting at a whopping 24 MPG. My commute sucks and is horrible for efficiency with ICE vehicles so this is not surprising, outside of EV's I have never been anywhere close to city EPA #'s in any ICE car I have slugged through my commute. It has hit EPA hwy numbers on a few hwy drives I have done so its not a car problem, its a traffic/commute problem that is causing the 24 MPG.

Interior/Comfort/Ride - Comfort, ride and handling are quite good, this is a very competent daily. I will say it has quite a bit more personality than the mid-sizers I have rented (Camry, Sonata, Altima, Malibu, etc.). Road noise is atrocious though - hitting worn out asphalt on the freeway will have you and your passenger yelling at each other to communicate, this car has far more road noise than anything I have rented in the past 5 years.

Technology - Like in my Camry review the Toyota systems are just not that great. Lane centering is all over the place and even drives the car into lane departure warning territory where you get the beep beep beep. How am I letting you drive yourself but you drive yourself into a lane departure warning. The Toyota beep beep beep is haunting me in my dreams now after 4 days in Camry and now 2 weeks in a Corolla - I'm not alone here as my other half said "oh I know that beep" because he had a rental Camry a few months back for a trip to South Carolina. Radar distance always defaults to max distance no matter what it was set on the last drive. Trip computer is a piece of junk, Corolla and Camry are the only cars I have driven in recent years where you have to pick one fuel economy metric (tank, trip or total) and you cannot have multiple trip computers going on. Apple Carplay on my rental is crap and disconnects constantly - I have tried multiple different cords and it just blanks out a couple times every drive.

Misc stuff - The spare tire tool kit styrofoam carrier is not mounted or held down by anything it just sits loose in the spare tire. Every speed bump you hear it bang down, I checked to make sure spare tire was secure and it was and I didn't see any way to keep the tool kit carrier from banging around. HVAC - Toyota logic is to have it constantly recirculate the air and it resets to recirculate every single startup.

Overall - It's not terrible but not great either. More fun and engaging than the mid-sizers but with the penalty of not being as refined and far slower. If you ever pull up to a Corolla at a stop light and need to pass before the lane closes you can probably easily smoke them without even trying unless you are in a Versa, Sentra or Mirage.

Not my video but this is about how Corolla does 0-60.
Corolla 0-60

IMG_7600.jpg

IMG_7598.JPG
IMG_7599.jpg

Glad to hear all is well & hopefully you'll have your ID back in good shape again.

As for the Corolla ... It's a cute "Chiseled" bucket. They'll continue to squeeze out buyers for as long as the competition keeps selling ICE. Once EV's start coming out more so then I'll bet it will hurt Toyota's sales a bit.

I tried Ironman tires once on my 3/4 ton & they were just too squishy feeling over the Cooper tires I ran before. They were cheaper though. It's interesting to read about these new cars still though & I appreciate your notes. Thanks.

Cars are really ugly these days.
I actually find the Corolla to be a little handsome and understated - it's styling will age well. This is one area Toyota does well - they don't do polarizing styling like Honda (ahem last gen Civic) or the most recent Hyundai Elantra that are going to look silly later on in life. To me the last gen Civic is already starting to look a little stupid - I'm glad Honda reeled the styling back in with the current generation.

IMHO cars like that are for people who treat a car as a tool for what it can do for them, which is to take them somewhere..not pleasing their senses even being in the equation.It is just a tool.
I bought a Versa for my daughter, for the same reason.. They use the car to take them somewhere and don't derive any joy from driving.

As for fuel economy like I pointed out my commute sucks. It’s ~4 miles each way, all surface streets and can take anywhere from 25-45 minutes due to traffic and stoplights. I’ll have to count the number of traffic lights I have to go through but it is northward of 20 traffic lights and I probably hit about 25-35% red lights. No ICE I have ever driven gets anywhere close to their city EPA numbers on my daily commute - it just is what it is. The Corolla has hit its EPA #’s on a couple quick freeway jaunts I have taken so there isn’t anything wrong with the car.

Short trips, yeah bad mpg. Nature of the beast. Just shy of 2k on mine, and think all of it is above 40mpg. But none of it short.

Slow, and I thought I felt fake “shifting” under hard throttle a time or two. Do not believe it has a takeoff gear, that might be TC lockup instead.

Yeah, the road noise is right up there… I turned off lane assist during the test drive, and its been off since.

Any thoughts on ease of entry-exit or outward visibility through the windshield? Last Corolla I rented was claustrophobic inside and the low roofline meant it was hard to see out of. And I kept bumping my head each time I got into the car. I'd expect such issues on a tiny car like a Spark or a Geo Metro but the late-model Corollas aren't tiny any more.

Any thoughts on ease of entry-exit or outward visibility through the windshield? Last Corolla I rented was claustrophobic inside and the low roofline meant it was hard to see out of. And I kept bumping my head each time I got into the car. I'd expect such issues on a tiny car like a Spark or a Geo Metro but the late-model Corollas aren't tiny any more.
What is your height? That can make a difference. I'm just a few inches below average male height.

I do feel like mine is harder to get in and out of my Camry's, like the door is just a bit shorter in length. No issues with height though. I could see it being a bit more claustrophobic, the cockpit does feel just a bit smaller than our Camry, but I'm ok with that.

I do feel like I've been "surprised" by the blindspot off driver rear. I've had to angle my mirror far more than in the past, not sure what is up with that. Otherwise visibility isn't that bad, I've had worse, like my Tundra, that had some big blind spots to the rear and even forward, due to massive pillars.

Hope nobody makes a buying decision based on a review of a beat up rental car that probably isn't operating correctly. On one hand it's still running so there's that.

@pezzy84, what would your thoughts be if it was shiny clean and well maintained?
Mehhh. If it was shiny and brand new I would still have the same complaints.

It rides and handles just fine, road noise is crazy, its screwed together well and gets me from point A to point B. I have done my best to correct some of the beat up rental issues by running the ozone machine in it a few times to knock down the perfume, paying my own $$ to run it through a car wash, wiping down the interior hard surfaces and cleaning the windows and two tanks of top tier gas that have seemed to fix the rough/jumpy idle. Since I have had it ~2.5 weeks I didn't mind an extra $15 expense for the car wash or an hour of my time to try to clean it up a little bit and show it a little bit of mechanical sympathy while I had it.

It's a lot of the odd Toyota things that get me and its still one of the slowest cars on the market with similar or worse fuel economy to economy cars that are much quicker.

- The trip computer where you have to pick one measuring metric (trip, tank or total) and stick with it, even once you pick one metric it entirely omits other data like average speed, time, etc. Camry rental I had was like this too - the trip computers are complete trash. Side note you can't change any of the metrics while the car is in motion.

- Constant recirculate on the HVAC. Shut down the car in fresh air mode, its back on recirculate when you start it back up 8 hours later. Hit auto to take it off defrost as the windshield is clear its back on recirculate. I don't think the cabin filter on any modern Toyota will ever get dirty because they are on recirculate ALL THE TIME. Camry rental I had was like this too. Yes I want fresh air and will recirculate when I dang well please, I understand it is not healthy to be constantly recirculating the air in a closed cabin.

- The beep beep beep when the car is supposed to be lane centering (yes confirmed it had the lane lines in its sight) and it drives itself into a lane departure warning situation. Their version of highway driving assist is not very good compared to others I have used - its erratic at best.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure its a fine car and will run 100 billion miles with routine maintenance but I have never really been super impressed by most Toyota's I have had longer term seat time behind. One exception I will say is the last generation Camry 2.5 SE rental I had about 5-6 years back I had was quite impressive, that generation Camry is still better than the current gen.

It's a little low slung, haven't really had any issues with entry/exit, space or visibility to note.

Back