I bought a 2010 Prius for $3000

Since a popular topic on here is the state of the used car market, here's my recent experience.

A few weeks ago, I bought a Prius from a local seller. He was offering the car for $3000, with 207k miles and claimed that it ran good. It had a lot of peeling paint, so I wasn't too sure, but then he edited the ad to mention that Toyota had a program to repaint these cars (Blizzard Pearl White). I googled it, and that seemed to check out. The interior looked pretty decent... it's a base model, though. A/C blows nice and cold. The blower motor is a little whiny, not really bad enough to have to replace but an annoyance. The alloy wheels are corroded and bubbling paint, but a look underneath the car doesn't reveal any structural rust that I could see. No major body panel rust, although there's one area on the roof where the paint peeled that has begun rusting. One corner of the rear bumper is pushed in.

I bought it even though it was LOUD on the road, figured it was the four snow tires or a wheel bearing. It passed our local safety and emissions inspection without issue. After driving it a bit more, I narrowed it to the passenger front wheel, and I put in a new wheel bearing. (Mevotech Supreme, we'll see how that holds up). That quieted it down a lot.

There was an airbag light on, but I shook the connections under the seat and it went away and has been off for a couple of weeks.

I put on new wiper blades and noticed that the wipers were VERY slow in "high", so I grabbed a new wiper motor (Cardone) off of Amazon and that fixed it. Headlights are cloudy, so I ordered a pair of Ebay cheapies. Haven't put them in yet, but they look good! Found a set of Prius wheel covers to cover up the corroded wheels. It's starting to look a little better. I plan on using a heat gun to try to pop out the bumper.

The previous owner got about 37 mpg, but we are averaging 47. We got it for racking up miles in commuting and put on about 1000 miles in the first couple of weeks.

Dr. Prius app is putting the battery health at around 50%. It seems to drain quickly when you first drive the car, but then after it recharges, the charge level holds more stable for the rest of the drive. I'd probably get better mpg on the around town stuff with a fresher battery, but I doubt it would help much on the highway cruising that we are doing a lot of.

About the paint - I took it in to the Toyota dealer this Monday and they took a bunch of photos... my car is covered by the "warranty extension" and I'll be getting it repainted in March of next year. It's not clear if they will repaint the entire car or just the affected panels. (Every panel except three of the doors has paint peeling).

So far, a bit over 1000 miles on it and oil is still pretty close to the full mark on the dipstick. So that's nice - a lot of these are oil burners. Will probably need a head gasket in the next few years, since it seems like they all do from this period. And the battery is going to be an issue at some point, but so far so good. I think I've saved $100 in gas so far...

My son bought a 2nd gen Prius early this year, and the more I learned about the car, the more I liked it. Then my brother and his daughter both got Priuses. So now I have one, and I wish I had bought one sooner.

Is there no way to "Disable" the battery pack or is everything too far integrated? I'd say that if you're able to repair & maintain it for reasonable costs then it could pay for itself with the fuel savings.

I think on the old Honda Insights you could remove the battery and run them on just gas - and they still got great mileage.

The Prius uses a planetary transmission with the gas engine and two electric motors. So you have to have the electric drive system working correctly to drive it at all. Plus, it doesn't have a traditional 12v starter - it uses the electric drive to start the engine. And then you have the electric A/C and electric water pump, etc.

Keeping the battery in working condition doesn't seem too big of a challenge. On the cheap end, there's a local guy who will recondition and replace a couple of modules for $300. And on the other end, a new battery from Toyota isn't too much past $2000 + core and installation. There are a lot of people who understand the Prius battery pack and have experience with it. Plus, it's not a large battery like a modern EV, so it's just not THAT expensive.

What year Prius? Congratulations btw.

My sister has about 175k on a Prius C, not my cup of tea but after driving it 900 miles I have a newfound respect for the mini Prius.

What year Prius? Congratulations btw.

My sister has about 175k on a Prius C, not my cup of tea but after driving it 900 miles I have a newfound respect for the mini Prius.

"I bought a 2010 Prius for $3000"​

Thanks for the congratulations - so far so good. I've done all right with older cars for the last few years, but I expect I'm going to get burned one of these times.

My $2000 Ranger was probably my biggest dud, but it continues to chug along, made it past $300k recently.

"I bought a 2010 Prius for $3000"​

Thanks for the congratulations - so far so good. I've done all right with older cars for the last few years, but I expect I'm going to get burned one of these times.

My $2000 Ranger was probably my biggest dud, but it continues to chug along, made it past $300k recently.
duh thanks often I read too quickly. That is an amazing price. I'm sure it will serve the family well.

One other thing - I've owned vehicles for about 30 years and this is my first Toyota.

So I think I've now owned all the major US and Japanese brands - except Chrysler. Ford, Chevrolet, Nissan, Mazda, Honda, now Toyota.

Also owned a VW and a Volvo. No Subaru, BMW or Mercedes... yet, lol.

I'm quite proud.

The car, on purpose, runs its battery down when cold to lessen the load on the (cold) ICE. It lies about it on the radio display but your scanner shows the truth. You may find yourself asking after a minute or two of it running why it chooses "now" to rev the gas motor. It's gone through a couple stages of warmup programs to get to this point. Still, being gentle on a cold powertrain is good for everything.

I put a $25 chinese wheel bearing in my 2nd gen prius and got 60+k miles out of it, sold it still working fine. So, neener neener to the Toyota fanboys. Bought the car to be cheap. :cool:

Since a popular topic on here is the state of the used car market, here's my recent experience.

A few weeks ago, I bought a Prius from a local seller. He was offering the car for $3000, with 207k miles and claimed that it ran good. It had a lot of peeling paint, so I wasn't too sure, but then he edited the ad to mention that Toyota had a program to repaint these cars (Blizzard Pearl White). I googled it, and that seemed to check out. The interior looked pretty decent... it's a base model, though. A/C blows nice and cold. The blower motor is a little whiny, not really bad enough to have to replace but an annoyance. The alloy wheels are corroded and bubbling paint, but a look underneath the car doesn't reveal any structural rust that I could see. No major body panel rust, although there's one area on the roof where the paint peeled that has begun rusting. One corner of the rear bumper is pushed in.

I bought it even though it was LOUD on the road, figured it was the four snow tires or a wheel bearing. It passed our local safety and emissions inspection without issue. After driving it a bit more, I narrowed it to the passenger front wheel, and I put in a new wheel bearing. (Mevotech Supreme, we'll see how that holds up). That quieted it down a lot.

There was an airbag light on, but I shook the connections under the seat and it went away and has been off for a couple of weeks.

I put on new wiper blades and noticed that the wipers were VERY slow in "high", so I grabbed a new wiper motor (Cardone) off of Amazon and that fixed it. Headlights are cloudy, so I ordered a pair of Ebay cheapies. Haven't put them in yet, but they look good! Found a set of Prius wheel covers to cover up the corroded wheels. It's starting to look a little better. I plan on using a heat gun to try to pop out the bumper.

The previous owner got about 37 mpg, but we are averaging 47. We got it for racking up miles in commuting and put on about 1000 miles in the first couple of weeks.

Dr. Prius app is putting the battery health at around 50%. It seems to drain quickly when you first drive the car, but then after it recharges, the charge level holds more stable for the rest of the drive. I'd probably get better mpg on the around town stuff with a fresher battery, but I doubt it would help much on the highway cruising that we are doing a lot of.

About the paint - I took it in to the Toyota dealer this Monday and they took a bunch of photos... my car is covered by the "warranty extension" and I'll be getting it repainted in March of next year. It's not clear if they will repaint the entire car or just the affected panels. (Every panel except three of the doors has paint peeling).

So far, a bit over 1000 miles on it and oil is still pretty close to the full mark on the dipstick. So that's nice - a lot of these are oil burners. Will probably need a head gasket in the next few years, since it seems like they all do from this period. And the battery is going to be an issue at some point, but so far so good. I think I've saved $100 in gas so far...

My son bought a 2nd gen Prius early this year, and the more I learned about the car, the more I liked it. Then my brother and his daughter both got Priuses. So now I have one, and I wish I had bought one sooner.
I've got a 2009 Prius new from factory that I am trying to sell, with 252,000km on it.
What was this 2010 used for previously? Was it a delivery car, cab etc?
I can't relate to any of these issues you are mentioning, but on the other hand I have also looked after this car, and it has spent every night in an attached garage out of the weather. I am sorry with all the grief items you are experiencing.
I strongly recommend you use Amsoil SS 0w20 with a good synthetic filter, it will drastically limit your oil consumption, and potentially improve your mpg too, especially if you've got some sludge issues which is possible.
When was the trans-axle fluid last changed?

Now that's one expensive Ranger!
lol, whoops!

To sum it up it appears you make a wise purchase. I am surprised they will cover the paint for you for being an older car.
So far so good. But it's possible that I could have big problems that would make it not seem so wise. Toyota had a big issue with white paint in this time period (so did everyone else). The Prius wasn't included in the original customer service program. It was added more recently, so the deadline (which has passed for the other cars) was extended until 2025, I think.

I've got a 2009 Prius new from factory that I am trying to sell, with 252,000km on it.
What was this 2010 used for previously? Was it a delivery car, cab etc?
I can't relate to any of these issues you are mentioning, but on the other hand I have also looked after this car, and it has spent every night in an attached garage out of the weather. I am sorry with all the grief items you are experiencing.
I strongly recommend you use Amsoil SS 0w20 with a good synthetic filter, it will drastically limit your oil consumption, and potentially improve your mpg too, especially if you've got some sludge issues which is possible.
When was the trans-axle fluid last changed?
I don't know how the car was used but 200k miles over 13 years isn't a crazy amount of mileage, so I doubt it was used commercially.

Based on Toyota service records, the owner before me didn't put many miles on it. He also had a problem where the car died on him a couple of times. But this seems to have been fixed with a new throttle body.

He bought the car in Indianapolis. Not sure why it has snow tires. I don't think I've had a lot of grief items. Any time I buy a used car - and it's usually an older car - I go through a flurry of work to fix little things and try to catch up on maintenance.

The car is really grubby on the door sills and the areas under the hatch. I think the previous owner let it sit under a pine tree.

I don't know about the transaxle fluid... on my list of maintenance to-dos is to clean EGR and intake, change the trans fluid, change engine and inverter coolant, clean the HV battery fan...

Also... I'm pretty sure it needs new sway bar links. The originals were made of aluminum, I guess to save weight. So I can get genuine Toyota for ~$100 a pair from amayama. Or 555 steel links from there for half that. I'm more likely to get a set of Delphi for $25 from Rockauto, though.

This car has the little plugs that show it got the Ziebart rust treatment. I had an old Jetta (also from Indiana!) that had the Ziebart and it was the rustiest car I've ever owned.

I bought a 1986 Jetta Diesel for $800 back in 2001 and immediately had the leaking heater core replaced under recall. I don't think I knew about the recall when I bought it, though. I just wanted a diesel!

Back