VW Atlas 4 cyl using oil

My daughter has a 4 cyl 2022 VW Atlas. It has been using oil at about 1 Qt around 1000 miles. It is under warranty and has been back to the dealer several times. So far all they do is top it off and say that is normal. I see oil around the filter housing or whatever they call the place where the filter goes on. She took a 300 mile trip and the oil light came on and the engine and oil temp was 240 and they say thats normal. I believe they are stalling to run out the warranty. She has opened a claim at VW corp. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this issue. I believe the car uses 0-20 and is a turbo engine.

Is it documented at the dealership that the consumption is 1qt/1k? To me that sounds high.

On the good side, if the oil light came on, then it is all the closer to either worse consumption or actual bad engine sounds, while in warranty.

Weldor, you didn't say how many miles are on the vehicle.....can you please post that? Also has she owned it since new? If not what are the terms of the warranty.....is it a factory warranty or a third party extended warranty? Knowing the answers to this information can possibly help understand why the dealer is behaving as reported.

I would be looking at the PCV system to see if it is working properly. I would also suspect that she might have some rings sticking and that could possibly be verified with a leak down test.

Last edited:
My daughter has a 4 cyl 2022 VW Atlas. It has been using oil at about 1 Qt around 1000 miles. It is under warranty and has been back to the dealer several times. So far all they do is top it off and say that is normal. I see oil around the filter housing or whatever they call the place where the filter goes on. She took a 300 mile trip and the oil light came on and the engine and oil temp was 240 and they say thats normal. I believe they are stalling to run out the warranty. She has opened a claim at VW corp. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this issue. I believe the car uses 0-20 and is a turbo engine.
Same engine in my Tiguan albeit smaller turbo & less power which uses nothing over 10k miles. Something is wrong with engine but I hope she has been using 91 or better since it is required.

The fact that the oil light came on and you've been to dealer to document should help your case with VWoA. Don't let up.

Geez a quart every thousand? what a bug fogger. Tell her to abandon the clunker at another dealer for something else asap if they don't give her a brand new engine.

If the engine was leaking enough to lose a quart every thousand through the filter area you'd see a pool of oil where it's left to sit. If you see nothing to maybe a couple drops worth that isn't what's causing the oil loss, It's being burnt.

Same engine in my Tiguan albeit smaller turbo & less power which uses nothing over 10k miles. Something is wrong with engine but I hope she has been using 91 or better since it is required.

The fact that the oil light came on and you've been to dealer to document should help your case with VWoA. Don't let up.
Same here...no use over 10k
2L T... But I am at 504 spec 0w-30

Three observations:

Most OEMs will consider oil consumption of 1qt/1,000 miles as within the bounds of “normal”

When the oil light went on during the 300 mile trip was the oil full before departing? And if the oil level was low unusually high temps should be expected.

As long as the problem is documented, VW can’t “run out” the warranty. Just make sure the dealer is doing an actual oil consumption test (they’ll typically seal-up the engine to make sure you aren’t cheating) and you have a paper copy of the results.

Good luck.

Weldor, you didn't say how many miles are on the vehicle.....can you please post that? Also has she owned it since new? If not what are the terms of the warranty.....is it a factory warranty or a third party extended warranty? Knowing the answers to this information can possibly help understand why the dealer is behaving as reported.

I would be looking at the PCV system to see if it is working properly. I would also suspect that she might have some rings sticking and that could possibly be verified with a leak down test.
It is around 20K

About 20K

Not normal for that engine, but there’s a lot of warranty left. Be the squeaky wheel and the above suggestion to try a different dealer is good, they are definitely not equal.

I’ve never seen an oil temp anywhere near 240 during normal use either, I’m going to assume your daughter was not tracking the Atlas. 😛

Nope, mine does not use a drop!
It should use VW504.00/507.00 0W30 or 5W30.
I use either Mobil1 ESP 5W30 or Motul X-Clean+ 5W30. Both do not use a drop in 5K.
So:
1. They use the wrong oil.
OR
2. There is something wrong with an engine

OR
3. You have a leak somewhere.

Oil temperature of 240 can be normal. I push mine all the time and over some mountain passes will reach 250-260f.
However, doesn’t use oil.

How accessible is this area? Try cleaning it up real well and then look again after a drive. If there is a leak it should be easy to trace.
It is fairly accessible. This is first time I hear about housing issues on EA888.
Maybe OP should take out the oil filter and check whether there is the gasket on oil filter cap and cage.

Wow that’s high I stand corrected. All my VeeDubs that had a gauge averaged 196 to 212f.
I can get the Tiguan up to 220F Oil Temp but coolant stays solid at 194F no matter what. I have to be speed racing a lot though as it's only pushing 180hp so it's not really stressing the engine other than high rpms.

Back