Talk me out of an $85,000 SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You could buy a rental property that pays you every month. Or buy a depreciating asset. Your choice.

So if your a $500K a year cardiac surgeon, you should drive a ____________?

More like a million a year.

If the OP can afford the $85,000 he should buy it.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
My pick would be a 2018 Tahoe with the 6.2L & 10 speed auto, add a 4 inch lift and real tires.
Tata! Friends don't let friends drive F***s.

I really should cross-shop a tahoe and suburban.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
If your just making a statement look at the Evoque convertible.

I tend not to be flashy or make overt statements externally....or I would just call it the day with a Lexus LX570 or even pony up for a G-wagon.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
As the title suggests I am seriously considering purchasing a new model Toyota Land Cruiser. (And no I would not consider the Lexus version).
For the money if not more I can have picks at a truly exotic, bonafide sports car instead.

Why not buy a top of the line mustang or camaro or a Porsche? Or just give it to me and I'll buy a house.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture
As the title suggests I am seriously considering purchasing a new model Toyota Land Cruiser. (And no I would not consider the Lexus version).
For the money if not more I can have picks at a truly exotic, bonafide sports car instead.

Land Cruiser > Everything else

If you have the coin, there is no better SUV on the market.

I would agree with you but I still need to give the competition a fair shake.

You could buy a rental property that pays you every month. Or buy a depreciating asset. Your choice.

I own a commercial property. Check. We think alike Bubba.

So if your a $500K a year cardiac surgeon, you should drive a ____________?

Hey my wife and I are medical doctors and we just drive Toyotas. We need to step up to the Jones' plate ;-)

My dad is a retired attorney and I have 4 siblings. While growing up, my mom had the soccer mobile while my dad drove something sporty. My dad had an 85' Olds 442 and later a 90' Camaro Iroc-Z. If you really don't need a people hauler, get something sporty and refined. A new Infiniti Q60 with the 400 HP V6 and AWD would be hard to beat.

My parents are retired physicians and they never bought a vehicle more than $40k back in the 80s and 90s. My pops only sports car was a trans-am. and the only german car they ever bought was a BMW 3 series. I'll pass on the qx60. My sister owns one and I would take my wife's highlander over the qx60.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I'd go for a Hellcat ($60K) or Challenger Scat Pack ($40K) before any SUV. No shortage of performance cars in the $85K and under range.

Man I'm not man enough to handle the power and testosterone ;-) I drive the 97 4runner like a sports car and I'm ok with that. But a muscle car/sports car will be a future purchase for sure.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OT: What makes the LC a better choice than a sequoia? I never understood the market other than "I need to spend an extra 30K" type vehicle.

I owned a 2002 Sequoia Limited that I purchased new and drove it until I sold it in 2013. The Land Cruiser is big league credentialed and engineered whereas the sequoia was still capable but more AAA league contender if you will. Hence, the steep price differential

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Have you looked at the Porsche Cayenne. Best of both world's Sports SUV. May not have the best off road capability so depends on your off road needs. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face. That is if you are not making payments on it.

If I get a porsche it will never be a cayenne nor panamera....only a 911. I'm a purist at heart.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Land Cruiser > Everything else

If you have the coin, there is no better SUV on the market.

How about the Mercedes GLS450 or GLS550? It has heated and cooled beverage holders. They start at $70-95k. Of course one that's 3-4 years old could be half of that.

Yes because a $85K piece of rental property is going to be peaches and cream.

Pick up a bottom dollar shanty rental that will need repairs and ongoing maintenance and rent it to lower income individuals who wont take care of it and try to get back into the black in a few decades

LOL! Just teasing ya! People need to spend their money how they see fit.

You don't pay cash for the rental, use that 85k for a down payment and pick up a property for $340k.

I would cr0ss-shop a g-wagon.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
$85k for a toyota is madness. Especially if it never leaves the road.

Quality that is credible and not just luxury brand-related is something that I certainly don't mind paying a premium for. I like to stay under the radar and I'm OK with people snarking about the cost and it's just a toyota mentality.

If you love the Land Cruiser and have the means, go for it! Don't let the naysayers poo-poo how you decide to spend your money. Awesome vehicle.

The only hesitation I'd have, personally, is that I had heard about some low mileage (<1k miles) failures of the new 8 speed transmission in the 2016+s. It may be resolved by now - not sure. I stumbled across a thread (on another forum) about a year ago discussing the issue.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
Looks Good I say go for it! https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/luxury-large-suvs

My wife and I did a medical mission in west africa and our caravan were mostly land cruisers. The driver mentioned a river crossing that was ahead of us and said "sit back, relax, we're in a land cruiser", as he forged a river crossing with the water above the door handles.

If you don't happen to buy anything this year, I suggest a trip to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit or the New York International Auto Show.
I've been to both and the New York show is better imo.

Renting seems like a pita, so I leave a house that I could get $1500 a month empty.

Anyway, I'll post this video on the 2018 Tahoe for S&Gs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG16bNAq0gc

Nothin' lift, tires & Borla exhaust couldn't remedy.
Same goes for the short Escalade, take out the back seats and reduce some redundancy.

I hate those stupid youtube ads too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back