Talk me out of an $85,000 SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You could buy a rental property that pays you every month. Or buy a depreciating asset. Your choice.

Yes because a $85K piece of rental property is going to be peaches and cream.

Pick up a bottom dollar shanty rental that will need repairs and ongoing maintenance and rent it to lower income individuals who wont take care of it and try to get back into the black in a few decades

or

Procure the finest SUV ever built

That is definitely a hard choice. . . .

LOL! Just teasing ya! People need to spend their money how they see fit.

I'd go for a Hellcat ($60K) or Challenger Scat Pack ($40K) before any SUV. No shortage of performance cars in the $85K and under range.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I'd go for a Hellcat ($60K) or Challenger Scat Pack ($40K) before any SUV. No shortage of performance cars in the $85K and under range.
i think he wants a vehicle at the other end of the spectrum from a low slung hot rod

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Have you looked at the Lincoln MKX?

No I haven't but I will cross-shop a navigator for comparison.

Originally Posted By: NStuart
No comment on the Land Cruiser but the Lexus version somebody I know traded their Escalade for it and then turned around and traded for another Escalade, too many fancy features

I will have to cross-shop the escalade as well.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
If a nice sports car is an option, why on earth are you even considering an SUV?

Funny you should ask....I currently drive a 1997 4Runner Limited as my daily driver and having it hit 100mph is awesome enough for me. I will get a sports car down the road though.

Have you looked at the Porsche Cayenne. Best of both world's Sports SUV. May not have the best off road capability so depends on your off road needs. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face. That is if you are not making payments on it.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I like them as well but these days my priorities have changed.
Go for it if it is what you want. I'm thinking of a mid range VW Atlas.
I'm getting cheap these days.

I need to cross-shop the Atlas as well. I had a 2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited that I sold in 2013 and bought my wife a 2013 Highlander Hybrid Limited.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Can you afford it? I'd rather have the explorer sport if it was for pavement

Last I checked I should have the funds for one. I would cross an expedition though.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture
Originally Posted By: GenSan
As the title suggests I am seriously considering purchasing a new model Toyota Land Cruiser. (And no I would not consider the Lexus version).
For the money if not more I can have picks at a truly exotic, bonafide sports car instead.

Land Cruiser > Everything else

If you have the coin, there is no better SUV on the market.

How about the Mercedes GLS450 or GLS550? It has heated and cooled beverage holders. They start at $70-95k. Of course one that's 3-4 years old could be half of that.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture
Yes because a $85K piece of rental property is going to be peaches and cream.

Pick up a bottom dollar shanty rental that will need repairs and ongoing maintenance and rent it to lower income individuals who wont take care of it and try to get back into the black in a few decades

LOL! Just teasing ya! People need to spend their money how they see fit.

You don't pay cash for the rental, use that 85k for a down payment and pick up a property for $340k.

Look at the BMW X6M and X5M as well if you are shopping this high in the price bracket. They are worth a look.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
How much do you have to spend?

What do you need this thing to be able to do?

I'd like to keep it under $100K OTD. Nothing in particular really.
Just nice to know that I can tow 8500lbs if I need to and more or less the Land Cruiser is my dream SUV and yes I know its legendary and iconic history. Oh and if I get thirsty there's a cooler in the center console. ;-) I remember watching a vid of one of the Japanese engineers on the current model Land Cruiser going into detail on how they designed the Land Cruiser to last 25 years in rough conditions.....I wonder what that translates to into a more pampered service life.

You want capable off road, get a Hummer H1. 2006 is the last year and it has the Duramax with the Allison transmission in it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: GenSan
As the title suggests I am seriously considering purchasing a new model Toyota Land Cruiser. (And no I would not consider the Lexus version).
For the money if not more I can have picks at a truly exotic, bonafide sports car instead.

OK, so this is obviously a want and not a need, in which case, which one do you really want? Should be a pretty simple choice...

Do the best answer would be to get both I reckon.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The Land Crusher is a real legend. nIf you have the money and the determination to buy one, I can imagine worse cars to spend money on.

So true man.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Do you really need a luxury offroading SUV?

My shoutout would be a 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab standard bed HD work truck.

If I wanted luxury I would consider a Lexus my friend. But I hear you on the pickup truck.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
For a Toyota no. A range Rover maybe.

Is a wife a party to this decision?

I need to cross-shop a Land Rover and see for myself. The wife will allow me to buy whatever really.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
For the same $$ you could buy two loaded 4Runners or Jeep Grand Cherokees and have money left over. Either of the lower cost vehicles can be equipped to have equal or better off road ability.

Sure the Land Cruiser is nice inside, but so are vehicles mentioned above.

IMO a 4runner (we own one) and a Grand Jeep Cherokee (my father owned 2 plus a cherokee and top-down Jeep back in the day) will never be a Land Cruiser even if I could own both for the price of the Land Cruiser. Substance over quantity I guess?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The Land Crusher may be the most off-road capable luxobrage that you can buy, but 85K is a lot of bread for an old-school truck.
Do you want a luxury car or a real off-road capable machine with decent interior space?
If the former, there are many choices for many tastes at this price point. If the latter, something like a Wrangler Unlimited might be a good pick for less than half the coin.
Also, 85K won't buy you much new in anything that could be considered authentically exotic.
Used, you can buy a whole lot for a whole lot less, but it probably wouldn't be long before the 85K was gone between purchase price and the inevitable repairs for which parts from RA or AAP with discount code won't be a part of the picture.

Research paralysis....decisions, decisions. I hear you man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back