Put my money where my mouth is and finally bought an Armada!

Here is my new Nissan Armada S 4WD!
Its a brand new 2023, picked it up with a mere 58 miles on it.

At work I also somewtimes drive an Excursion and on rarer occasions a Tahoe, yet I prefer the Armada by a significant margin.

The S MSRPs for only 55.5k with 4WD.
Which is a great deal if you think about it.
Thats mid range 4 runner, or loaded Pathfinder, money and this is of course a different classs from either altogether.
Based on the world renowned Y62 Patrol so it has some of the strongest bones of any vehicle.
Got crazy and I mean crazy money, off, for end-of-year discounts. :whistle:
The advertised prices were even not a bait and switch, they were actually real.

This was the dealer the incentives as of 16 Sept 2023 still show:
https://www.newtonnissansouth.com/new-v ... =our_price

I expected stacking incentives for which one man cannot possibly qualify for all, and not the really deep discounts not applying to the lower trims...
But they did.
It's end of year plus the '24s will be a significant redesign.
Th redesign does not bother me, I will likely like this Y62 generation better anyway :D

I bought the car mainly because its Y62 and a relatively inexpensive one to boot.
But now that I have it, I realize it drives a lot better than I expected.
Even being careful with my foot, due to still breaking engine in, its already clear; its a beast.
The turning radius is also very very tight for a full size SUV.

It rides as if I am sitting on a magic carpet!
So smooth never did I imagine a body on frame SUV could ride like this!
The seats are also quite nice.
And those huge factory LED headlights (included even on the "S") are out of this world.
This feels like a 60+k vehicle , even though I spent much less.
And the "S", as an added bonus, is 134 lbs lighter than the Platinum trim. :yesnod

The only negative is the NissanConnect, while feature rich and even fun, always phones home to Big Nissan.
Dont like those tracking features, they are a serious security concern to me, but I will have the telematics antenna (which sends out active signals, receiving is fine w/o it) disconnected at some point soon.

IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1337.JPG
IMG_1336.JPG
IMG_1333.JPG
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1339.JPG
IMG_1344.JPG

Last edited:
Take that puppy straight over to a rust proofing shop!
I now live in non-coastal Florida (just never updated my profile) but your point is well taken nonetheless.

But I already did a fluid film spray on the frame and bolts and especially the rear subframe assembly (which for body-on-fram SUVs is a primary area of concern for rust.)
I belive Nissan frame steel is pretty good but I will start this car up right :D

I did not know this. Very interesting.
Yes this is the Global Y62 platform sold (with a lot of extra goodies such as an active hydraulic suspension, push button rear locker, long range 40 gallon fuel tank, extra off road modes for the 4WD etc) for 80,000 dollars in australia and 90,000 dollars the middle east.
The engine is assembled in the US, so they come into port and get the engine then.
Everything else is made in japan.

So the Armada is no longer a SUV version of the Titan as it was in the 2005-2015 generation.

Last edited:
What's that other SUV that's sitting next to it?
That is a 2008 Pathfinder with nearly 190,000 miles.
Burns no oil, near new compression, original everything.
The so called R51 , the platform wa shared with the 2005-2020 Frontier.

This particular example is not just 4WD but also has a 5.6 L V8.
I had to drive halfway across the country to get it, since they made very few of them as they debuted one month later a fuel crisis started, so the take rates were miniscule.
And it is a gas guzzler, :p but that V8 really makes the mid size SUV pathfinder scoot and is a lot of fun.
No comparison to the V8 4runner of similar years, it is an engine that is both larger and more modern and the vehicle is much quicker.

The engine in the Armada is largely the same except for DI and a result more power.
2008 Pathfinder V8: VK56DE (same as old titan)
2023 Armada V8: VK56VD (same as new Titan)

Last edited:
Nice hauler. We're mats an option?
The floor mats are on my Monroney as an (expensive) option. The only option this vehicle has, other than 4WD (and a box of USB charging cables).
The mats are quite nice though.
If there is interest I can post up a pic of the Monroney too.

I just read an article that sales of these have quadrupeld first quarter this year and doubled 2nd quarter compared to respective quarter previous year.
Not sure if its because driver more and more udnerstand old-school is not worse than new stuff or if its the aggressive pricing.

I have a feeling Nissan must have changed the price it charges the dealers on these, because how else could the dealer afford giving these deep discounts , even with end of year and a redesign coming.
I really dont care about the redesign if rumors are to be believed it will be bigger more lux and twin turbo V6. I like this here just fine..
(and I would have never gotten over 10k off MSRP on a '24, I mean that is such a big savings it changes the nature of the car. A loaded pathfinder and a mid trim 4Runner goes for more than I paid for this. And not that there is anything wrong with a Pathfinder or 4 runner they are fine vehicles, but this Y62 Armada is a significant step up in automtive class from both)

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new ride . I think that's the same engine as my Titan so don't expect much in the way of gas mileage . Keep your foot out of it until it's needed and it's be ok . (y)

Congrats on your new ride investment! I am curious, how much inventory did the selling dealer have? Did they have several to choose from, and what was there overall other vehicle inventory numbers?

The selling dealer is pretty large.
had a large inventory of maybe 30.
Many of them platinums though.
Discounts on those were even a bit deeper and those wheels and the available colors were very attractive, but I like my simpler truck with the smaller wheels.
You cna see right ehre.
The prices are real.
Only thing they ask, to get those discounts is that you finance with them.
Which I had no issue with, I have Tier 1 credit and the rate was quite competitive.
It wasnt a subsidized loan I got from NMAC but my bank would not have done any better.
And with todays inflation being as high as it is, my gut feeling is the banks being tied to Official inflation numbers, are charging as a result an interest rate lower than true inflation (which is well above the "official" numbers I think we can all agree.)
This was clearly the best car deal of my life (and I am middle aged and have bought a LOT of vehicles over the years).

Back