SUV choices under $30k

21 Honda Pilot here. Love it. The 23's will be out of your price range (can't negotiate much now) but a lower trim 21 or earlier are affordable. I have the extended warranty with 8 years 120k miles and plan on driving it so.

Wife decided she wants to upgrade the family SUV and is looking for a midsized option.

She has tentatively narrowed it down to the Ford edge, Toyota highlander, or Honda pilot. Would like to stay under 30 if possible but there's wiggle room

Anyone have any insight into what to avoid/look for or any other good options. My gut tells me the highlander is the safest bet for long term reliability but I'm not familiar with any of these platforms except the 3.5 honda motor in the pilot.

As an aside:
She likes the telluride a lot but I'm not spending $50k.

The mazda CX5/50 engine and trans seem just awful after a test drive .

Kia sportage seems like quality is hit or miss. AC didn't even work in the brand new one we test drove.

CR-V was intriguing but I'm not sure I'm sold on the 1.5 turbo motor for longevity.

Absolutely will not consider chevy blazer or equinox. Build quality seemed pretty poor on the ones we looked at.

No jeep or dodges, either.

EDIT to ask:
Can anyone comment on the mazda 2.5 NA motor and trans? When we test drove it, it seemed a little sluggish which is fine for what it is BUT I did floor it a couple of times and the transmission didn't seem to know which gear to select. It took what felt like a full second for the car to decide to do anything. And the trans was pretty notchy. Sport mode certainly did not help and only made the car rev hang. I'm curious if there is a break in period and the if the computer will learn and smooth this out over time. OR if this is just the nature of that platform. Because, considering thr price, everything else was very nice on the mazdas.
My cx5 shifted better after it learned my driving style. Its an amazing transmission. Very direct. Still only a 6 speed, but one of the best in its price range.

my younger son got a cpo 2020 vw tiguan s fwd in july 2022 for $25k. it’s been totally fine in the n.e. for its first 10k miles with him. last month i drove it with him to texas. the tiguan hit 38mpg on the long flat stretches of alabama at 70mph. he likes it better than his previous mazda cx5.

Such a tough market right now. I really like the Mazdas we own a CX-9. I'm surprised by what you noticed during the test drive I would agree maybe try another one?

Otherwise yes can't go wrong with a Highlander and I do like the escape with the basic 2.5 motor

Last edited:
check out the new chevy trax 2024 ,i have a 2020 with no issues,great gas milage also has a six speed automatic,,no cvt transmission,they sell well under 30k

check out the new chevy trax 2024 ,i have a 2020 with no issues,great gas milage also has a six speed automatic,,no cvt transmission,they sell well under 30k
Are they pretty reliable now? My buddy had a 2018 he had a lot of issues with it with the AC and turbo. But I think that was very early on first or second model year?

Wife decided she wants to upgrade the family SUV and is looking for a midsized option.

She has tentatively narrowed it down to the Ford edge, Toyota highlander, or Honda pilot. Would like to stay under 30 if possible but there's wiggle room

Anyone have any insight into what to avoid/look for or any other good options. My gut tells me the highlander is the safest bet for long term reliability but I'm not familiar with any of these platforms except the 3.5 honda motor in the pilot.

As an aside:
She likes the telluride a lot but I'm not spending $50k.

The mazda CX5/50 engine and trans seem just awful after a test drive .

Kia sportage seems like quality is hit or miss. AC didn't even work in the brand new one we test drove.

CR-V was intriguing but I'm not sure I'm sold on the 1.5 turbo motor for longevity.

Absolutely will not consider chevy blazer or equinox. Build quality seemed pretty poor on the ones we looked at.

No jeep or dodges, either.

EDIT to ask:
Can anyone comment on the mazda 2.5 NA motor and trans? When we test drove it, it seemed a little sluggish which is fine for what it is BUT I did floor it a couple of times and the transmission didn't seem to know which gear to select. It took what felt like a full second for the car to decide to do anything. And the trans was pretty notchy. Sport mode certainly did not help and only made the car rev hang. I'm curious if there is a break in period and the if the computer will learn and smooth this out over time. OR if this is just the nature of that platform. Because, considering thr price, everything else was very nice on the mazdas.

All Mazdas with 2.5L NA engine and auto trans I have driven have been sooo smooth.

These engines are sluggish if not fully warmed up.

We have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 with the NA 2.5L SkyActive engine and 6-speed auto. It is loud at start up for a few seconds to get the catalytic converter warmed up so it can be more efficient. Until the engine is warmed up the computer reduces the timing/power so you don't produce excessive emissions.

After a couple minutes it runs great! It is a 4-banger so no miracles will happen from a dead stop but I've found it to be very sporty in all modes of driving. We can easily get 30+ mpg if we take it easy.

I am a GM fan also, I'd look into a used 2018+ GMC Terrain. It has a small turbocharged four cylinder that has plenty of pep and gets good gas mileage.

All Mazdas with 2.5L NA engine and auto trans I have driven have been sooo smooth.

These engines are sluggish if not fully warmed up.

I also forgot these SkyActiv engines have high compression and like 93 octane (here in FL) so if new Mazda had a cold engine and 87 octane….. OP will have a negative view of his test drive.

Just because the silly ‘cold engine’ light on dash turned off 30 seconds after starting engine doesn’t mean it’s fully warmed up.

Woman I live with just bought a used 2022 highlander w low miles and pretty loaded. It was a moms second car and only she drove . Not a scratch on it except the drivers floor carpet looked worn from the woman that owned it wearing heels every day. It's fun and comfy. Was way more than 30 k. But they gave her 30k for her bmw trade in and she added 15 k cash. So the loan is 175 a month for 2 years. It was a great purchase. I have a bmw if she wants to play in a convertable , but she loves loves driving my sequoia as well.

Back